I know there has to be someone with good tips or a guide to this, but I can't seem to find one.

Basically I want to keep my LP in pretty good condition. I can handle chips, dings, etc. but I don't want the wood to dry out too quickly or anything to the like.

Tips?
Is it a faded LP?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Is it a faded LP?

Its not faded, as far as I know. Just antural finish (no gloss or anything just wood and hardware)

Exact specs are 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Mahogany Natural Finish
Than you would just use some lemon oil on it. Don't use anything with wax in it. Like furniture polish. Your sweat and the wax will give it a gunky build up that can be a pain to get off. But any kind of wood oil would work good.
You would only need to do it once or twice a year. Depending on the climate you live in.

The easiest way to do it is apply some oil and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. And wipe off any residue. After that time if there is no residue the wood is still dry. So start the process over.

Good luck,
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Than you would just use some lemon oil on it. Don't use anything with wax in it. Like furniture polish. Your sweat and the wax will give it a gunky build up that can be a pain to get off. But any kind of wood oil would work good.
You would only need to do it once or twice a year. Depending on the climate you live in.

The easiest way to do it is apply some oil and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. And wipe off any residue. After that time if there is no residue the wood is still dry. So start the process over.

Good luck,

Thanks, I assumed there was some different care-taking procedure for a natural finisha dn things to be aware of than something encased in a coating.

Lem-oil the whole body right? Not just the fret board? Just curious as to if that is bad.
Yes lemon oil the whole body. All your really doing is putting oils back in the body to keep the wood from drying out.

On another note I bet that natural finish has beautiful acoustic resonance. With no polys or nitros to inhibit the sound.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Yes lemon oil the whole body. All your really doing is putting oils back in the body to keep the wood from drying out.

On another note I bet that natural finish has beautiful acoustic resonance. With no polys or nitros to inhibit the sound.

Oh my god its' beautiful. Its nice and fat sounding even more-so than most LPs. My Fender Hot Rod Deluxes' built in Drive is SO freaking loose and sloppy with it too compared to finished guitars i've played through it. Great for my Grunge sound with hard OD and great blues OD on light.

Its' funny I like nice and natural/crisp sounds for clean and really sloppy OD and effects minus wah (I can't get any sloppier than my crybaby original or else I won't have good control over the wahs)

This is my first electric guitar, and its about 3 months old now. Been playing three years on my yamaha acoustic and I was really impressed with any natural guitar over a traditional finish. Thanks for noticing! Who said '08 Gibsons sucked monkey nuts?
I personally love Gibsons. Always wanted to try a natural finish. None of the stores around me carry gibbys anymore. I bought my LP 10 years ago and that store has since closed down.

Sounds like a beautiful guitar man. And it will only sound better with age. Hopefully you keep it long enough to find out. Enjoy it.
I do..intensively. Even though I am an insane honors student in sports I've played it about 12 hours this week. At this rate im gonna need my tubes changed soon.

I'm sorry you don't live where Gibsons are sold...sort of odd. Is there any guitar selling store in the area or anything?

I already have my sig on it...the back is sort of 'cut up' by buttons I used to play with until I noticed how badly it was getting scratched. Now I don't button up my shirts while playing anymore. Its just got this little circle of flesh-wound like lines in it.

Hows your Mesa gear? Whats it like?
I have four stores nearby they just choose to sell jay turser, MIM fenders and some schecters. However the one store had a nice 7 string Ibanez. When I was there the other day. (gas)

I love my Mesa gear. Some people think they sound like bees. But I got mine eq'd right. And I hardly use any presance. I think that's the key. Also I watched an interview with zolthan bathory and he was talking about his settings and how he hardly uses any gain. I figured I'd try it out. My gain never goes above 11 o'clock. With a TS9 in front with 0 gain and the level set around 3 o'clock. It's amazing how good this amp sounds now. Found my tone I guess! But even with the gain set there it's still uber'brutal. Thanks for asking.
Quote by boxcarmonument
I have four stores nearby they just choose to sell jay turser, MIM fenders and some schecters. However the one store had a nice 7 string Ibanez. When I was there the other day. (gas)

I love my Mesa gear. Some people think they sound like bees. But I got mine eq'd right. And I hardly use any presance. I think that's the key. Also I watched an interview with zolthan bathory and he was talking about his settings and how he hardly uses any gain. I figured I'd try it out. My gain never goes above 11 o'clock. With a TS9 in front with 0 gain and the level set around 3 o'clock. It's amazing how good this amp sounds now. Found my tone I guess! But even with the gain set there it's still uber'brutal. Thanks for asking.

Hah no problem.

I'm still experimenting with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but i've learned this so far with my prescense, the more there is the more 'lead' sounding I get. With 12 I have to be busting a solo or something to sound good, with none I have to be hypnotic rhythm to sound good, but most in-betweens are versatile and get me some weird 'ear hears this first' quality as it gets higher and 'ear hears this but doesn't pay attention' when lower.

I tend to play with middling mids, higher bass, and lower or upper mid treble, gain never leaves three (gives it a very black keys sounding distortion good for blues rock) and when I turn on my amps More Drive option I get a nice classic metal/grunge distortion. I have groove tubes (stock, but I love 'em) and I really can't say i've found my tone yet but this tends to be my crutch so far.