BUMPED: see post 13

I posted a few weeks ago about hunting for a guitar, but I went back 20 pages to bump the topic and couldn't find it, plus I saw how that other guy who was looking for an indie music sound really got helped out. When I envision myself playing a guitar, I imagine myself sounding like the rhythm guitar in this song by Interpol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq_S2vy0qwc&fmt=18

Now I know that he used a Gibson Les Paul Custom, I've been looking into getting a very cheap LP, an Epiphone Les Paul 100 (I'm a sucker for LP's). I've listened to Strats and Teles and while I do like the sound of them, I don't love them. I play mostly indie rock and would be using this just to mess around, so I don't want to go very expensive. I'd be willing to shell out $300 on a guitar, maybe ~$50 more if nessicary, but I would really not like to hear about saving up for something better, I'm a bassist and just want a guitar for fun. Thanks everyone

EDIT: Actually used doesn't sound so bad, I'm looking on ebay and finding LP's going for cheap.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Last edited by Helbent Revenge at Mar 4, 2009,
I think people are going to tell you to save up or go used for an epi lp standard. I myself don't mind the 100 series, my friend has one and it plays very well IMO, even though the pickups kind of suck.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
You may have already answered your question there re: the LP. I know the tune, and I think you'd also have to add chorus, delay, reverb, etc. to get this sound. Didn't know he played an LP on that tune-sounds single coil to me, but I could be wrong. So in order to get that tone, I'd say you'd also have to work some pedals also. Good luck. Also, if you just want to mess around, sure, an Epi LP will get the job done.
nonononononononoNO
guitars dont make the sound, the amps do.
im guessing you want a nice clean tone? get a fender blue junior and a used mim strat or tele
EDIT: instead, get a used epi lp
EDIT 2: maybe something with p-90s? they sound brilliant
Last edited by stratdud39 at Feb 28, 2009,
I assume by rhythm guitar, you mean the one playing the chords mostly, which in the live videos is Paul Banks, the one with the Les Paul. The other guy is Daniel Kessler, and he usually uses semi-hollows like the ES-335. I'm a big Interpol fan so I know a bit about them, and I know that these days Paul often uses a Fender Jaguar and a Gibson Flying V live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Banks#Gear

That lists some of his effects, as well as mentions about the guitars. He and Daniel both use Fender Twin amplifiers, according to Wiki.

While they usually write kind of simplistic guitar stuff, they're both excellent guitarists, and achieving their tones is really heavily in your picking. For example, a song like Slow Hands or C'mere, you basically strum with your arm (meaning you strike the strings pretty hard, but controlled) and use a lot of downstrokes. Also, keep your gain at a place where you can pick hard for a more distorted tone, but play softer for something cleaner.

Seeing as how neither of them use guitars with single coils (besides the Jaguar Paul will use live, which was likely not used for recordings, certainly not Stella Was a Diver since it's older), I'd probably stick to humbuckers if I were you.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Feb 27, 2009,
Yeah I'm a big Interpol fan too, Paul switched to a Fender Jag on the new album.

stratded39: Yeah I figured for the nice clean tone something like a Fender amp
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by stratdud39
nonononononononoNO
guitars dont make the sound, the amps do.
im guessing you want a nice clean tone? get a fender blue junior and a used mim strat or tele

This is true, except don't get a strat with single coils, it will not sound much like an LP.
Go for a london city telecaster
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Check out Agile guitars. Much better at their price than most Epiphones at similar prices.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
If you want to sound like Interpol, it's all in the amp. Both guitarists use Fender '65 Twin Reverb amps, hence the classic Twin Reverb sound to their guitars. Really, any expensive fender tube amp will give you the classic sound they have.

But since (if i read your post correctly) you don't even have a guitar yet, what you need to do is go out and play some. Just pick the guitar that feels best to you. The sound really comes from the amp, so any guitar will really do, but if you want to sound like Interpol try to get something with humbuckers.
Quote by curlyhead_P
If you want to sound like Interpol, it's all in the amp. Both guitarists use Fender '65 Twin Reverb amps, hence the classic Twin Reverb sound to their guitars. Really, any expensive fender tube amp will give you the classic sound they have.

But since (if i read your post correctly) you don't even have a guitar yet, what you need to do is go out and play some. Just pick the guitar that feels best to you. The sound really comes from the amp, so any guitar will really do, but if you want to sound like Interpol try to get something with humbuckers.

doesnt need to be expensive, the blues junior is only $480, and thats pretty cheap for the great tone you get out of it
I thought I'd bump this rather than making a new thread.

Alright, I've been browsing eBay for used guitars, I'm finding a lot of good deals, but the problem is that the guitars I was looking into getting apparently have a gloss finish on the neck, I HATE a gloss finish, even a semi-gloss, it really distracts my hand when playing. So now I'm trying to find a guitar as listed in the first post (most used for rythem, mellow tones, I like indie music a lot) that also have a satin finish or natural. Thanks for the advice thus far as well everyone.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Hate to bump twice, but really, nothing?
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
I thought I'd bump this rather than making a new thread.

Alright, I've been browsing eBay for used guitars, I'm finding a lot of good deals, but the problem is that the guitars I was looking into getting apparently have a gloss finish on the neck, I HATE a gloss finish, even a semi-gloss, it really distracts my hand when playing. So now I'm trying to find a guitar as listed in the first post (most used for rythem, mellow tones, I like indie music a lot) that also have a satin finish or natural. Thanks for the advice thus far as well everyone.

grit 2000 sandpaper is the answer
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H