I'd like to know why people have them? I can only think of three pros and they are as follows-

1. Too lazy to get off the computer
2. Morbid fear of rejection (totally understandable)
3. Fantasise whoever you want ( if her avatar is carmen electra and she says she is hey why not )

This isn't a thread flaming internet relationships I'm merely curious why anyone would want one.
A good friend of mine met her husband online, they were "internet-dating" for a couple years before they met, I suppose it is a more comfortable way to meet people, personalities play a much bigger role in these relationships as well. I myself wouldn't choose to be in one, but I don't judge those who are in them.
you forgot reason number 4: "Peolpe online are actually who they claim to be and actually like each other"

OMG!!
Computer nerds, generally.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Sometimes you think they can work. You can't limit yourself to people that live near you. Online Relationships CAN work, it's just very hard. Some people do not need the physical aspect in a relationship, some do.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Internet dating can work for some mature adults, I know people that have met and fell in love over the internet, met in person and got married. But for most dumb teenagers, internet-relationships just end in drama.
The main issue is meeting the individual in-person. I personally don't believe you can have a truly strong relationship with someone you've never had physical contact with.

Edit: Why you'd actually have 'em? No time/money to actually date, lack of transportation, or live in a crappy area with nothing fun to do.
Last edited by Eminored at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
you forgot reason number 4: "Peolpe online are actually who they claim to be and actually like each other"

OMG!!

was that sarcasm or do you truly believe that? Because I think people online lie about themselves more then in reality.
Quote by dethead666
was that sarcasm or do you truly believe that? Because I think people online lie about themselves more then in reality.

I truly believe that sometimes people actually tell the truth about themselves online.
As was mentioned, personalities are 99% of the relationship. No judging by looks, unless they send pictures. I think it's very intimate, but of a different type. You can only love her for her emotions, and personality. I would know, I've had one, more or less.
ehh i try to have an online relationship but they figured out that I'm a 20 year old hispanic guy...must be my UG profile that's giving it away.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by Thornography
As was mentioned, personalities are 99% of the relationship. No judging by looks, unless they send pictures. I think it's very intimate, but of a different type. You can only love her for her emotions, and personality. I would know, I've had one, more or less.

But you can't really get emotion out of text...but then again I guess webcam fixes that problem. I still don't see how a relationship can work without physical contact and I'm not talking about sex there's more to it than that.
Quote by CoreysMonster

OMG!!

HOLY CRAP WHAT A CRAZY CONCEPT

People are either too cynical or too freakin' dense. Why is it that nothing can go on in the world without someone crying about it on the internet? "Waahh, people have different opinions and lifestyles and make different decisions, WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM?!" Shut the hell up for a second and things be.
You're*
I think if you are going to try one you have to be mature. 13 year olds talking about how they're in love with someone thousands of miles away just doesn't seem right. When you're older at least you actually have that possibility of seeing that person.
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
It would work just like any long distance relationship, keep in touch often and stay faithful
Quote by Survivalism
HOLY CRAP WHAT A CRAZY CONCEPT

People are either too cynical or too freakin' dense. Why is it that nothing can go on in the world without someone crying about it on the internet? "Waahh, people have different opinions and lifestyles and make different decisions, WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM?!" Shut the hell up for a second and things be.

Read my OP I wasn't pissed at the idea I wanted to know why people prefered it, go be a dick somewhere else.
Quote by dethead666
Read my OP I wasn't pissed at the idea I wanted to know why people prefered it, go be a dick somewhere else.

I don't think he was referring to you. He quoted CoreysMonster...
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Quote by dethead666
But you can't really get emotion out of text...but then again I guess webcam fixes that problem. I still don't see how a relationship can work without physical contact and I'm not talking about sex there's more to it than that.

Ugly the cat

Everyone in the apartment complex where I lived knew who Ugly was.
Ugly was the resident tomcat. Ugly loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and, shall we say, love.
The combination of these things combined with a life spent outside had their effect on Ugly. To start with, he had only one eye and where the other should have been was a hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner.
Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby, striped type, except for the sores covering his head, neck and even his shoulders. Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. "That's one UGLY cat!!!”
All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave.
Ugly always had the same reaction. If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around your feet in forgiveness.
Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love. If you picked him up he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.
One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbor's dogs. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly's sad life was almost at an end. As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. It must be hurting him terribly, I thought.
Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear.
Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying, was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring.
Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battled scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion. At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain.
Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.
Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful . He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for. Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me.......
I will always try to be Ugly

I accept your apology.
Quote by dethead666

I second this notion.

People really need to start reading the OP
Quote by Sublimical
A good friend of mine met her husband online, they were "internet-dating" for a couple years before they met, I suppose it is a more comfortable way to meet people, personalities play a much bigger role in these relationships as well. I myself wouldn't choose to be in one, but I don't judge those who are in them.

That's a really interesting point, but I doubt people have this in mind. I think it's people that have a hard time meeting new people in person, like the threadstarter's second point addressed. If you **** things up right off the bat online, it's pretty whatever you know? I think it would be more comfortable and would let you be more open with the way that you really are instead of having to pretend.

People who meet people through eharmony and places like that kind of fall into that, I think. It's a guarantee that the person is who they say they are, and not creepy old guys trying to get with people.
Bendy you're the sh*t for that.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by dethead666

I beg to differ

This is happy
This is sad
This is angry
This is mad
Quote by hippotato7
It would work just like any long distance relationship, keep in touch often and stay faithful

That's hard... Hard for me anyway because I'm very anxious about staying faithful and stuff like that, I mean my girlfriend might be going to New York for a month over summer for an art camp and I'm scared that she'd find someone way better than me... Even though she's said things that make me feel the exact opposite, I still have those anxious feelings...

Love the avatar by the way.
@ Bendy

Thats bad ass
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.