Page 1 of 2
I hate it when my strings go rusty. The unwound GBE strings always rust on me. Yes I know I should wipe the strings down more then I should, but it still annoys me.

*Puts flame suit on*

On boats and other metalic things people don't want rusting they put zinc bars/strips. I don't want to get into the science of it, but as long as there is an electrical connection between the two metals this will work.

My thoughts...
Attach a zinc bar/strip inside the cavity cover and connect it to the bridge ground and my strings wont rust.

Now, I generally change strings because they are rusted before they are worn out because when you have 11 guitars you just can't play them all enough to make sure this doesn't happen. Also they look cool on the wall so putting them in cases wont work either, and I only have 4 cases anyways.
Sounds interesting.

You could just by Elixirs though
This would be a really good idea though, as long as it doesn't interfere with the pickups etc.
Good idea. But wouldnt you in theory get electrocuted? Your sending a current thru your bridge and your strings, which could shock you, right? For storage purposes, it sounds fine, but not if your playing.
Quote by qotsa1998
Good idea. But wouldnt you in theory get electrocuted? Your sending a current thru your bridge and your strings, which could shock you, right? For storage purposes, it sounds fine, but not if your playing.

Your strings are already grounded through the bridge already so no, the only thing different is just putting a piece of metal in the loop.

As for the science of it, certain elements have a greater reactivity, zinc happens to be more reactive then steel. So when molecules, oxygen and other oxidizers react with a metal, steel in this case they try and steal it's electrons. But because the steel string in connected to the zinc strip that is more reactive then steal, the electrons from the zinc get pulled out and given off instead. Thusly, the string stays in it's original condition but you have a rusted zinc strip.

They do this on boats, especially ones that travel in the ocean. The zinc keeps the hulls from rusting out. The zinc lasts quite along time for these and doesn't have to be very big.
Quote by Invader Jim
So the zinc rusts instead of the strings?

Yeah, pretty much. It's not much, but if your strings rust before you wear them out, you can stretch them longer. And it isn't like a huge ton of rust either, basically the zinc just goes from shiney, to a very matt grey, and chills like that.
They have a similar thing in a big sea wall-type thing they showed on Dirty Jobs. He had to change the zinc plates, and most of em were rather deteriorated. But that was over several years and constant exposure to water. Try it out, just leave a guitar with this out, as well as another one without it, and see which lasts longer.
I was actually watching that diry jobs when I thought of this. But never got around to making the thread.

And as for the 100mV, the Voltage is irrelevant, because as long as the two metals are electrically connected the electrons can flow from the zinc to the steel.

Its like having a group of humans, a monkey and a gorrila all in a line. The group of humans keep stealing the monkey's bananas, and the gorrila gives the monkey his bananas so he doesn't go hungry.

The humans are the environment, and monkey is the steel strings, and gorrila is the zinc. and hungy is rust.
if you have the money for 11 guitars you have the money for strings that already do that
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
if you have the money for 11 guitars you have the money for strings that already do that

No necessarily. You have no grounds for this quote. Also, go buy 11 packs of strings, even the cheep ones.

I also prefer dadarrio? (sp?) of all the strings I have tried I have found them to be my favorite.
I have 13 (or more, i forget) guitars. I buy the cheap 6 buck strings. 8 packs cost me over 50 bucks (even after the discount that the clerk so generously gave me).

**** that. This idea is cooler anyway.
This sounds like a very interesting idea. However I am curious as to how large of a piece of zinc would need to put in, where to position it, how to hold it in position without something in between the zinc and the metal, and how long it would last for a particular size of zinc.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by kingofdudes161
This sounds like a very interesting idea. However I am curious as to how large of a piece of zinc would need to put in, where to position it, how to hold it in position without something in between the zinc and the metal, and how long it would last for a particular size of zinc.

The only two of those that I can really answer is: it has to be connected to the circuitry inside the guitar. Just a wire going from it to the rest, I would use the bridge wire though to keep things easy. You would just have to remember to scratch up the surface when you attached the wire to ensure good contact. How to connect it is up to you, tape it in, glue it in, screw it in, wedge it in.

As for the size and longevity. Those two are connected I can tell you that much. The bigger, the longer it will last. As for how big to make it, I wouldn't think you would need anything larger then the size of your pinky finger, the last bit where the nail is to that first knuckle. Even then, that should be more then enough, and should last for a long time. Even a piece half that size could work. I'm not sure. I will have to try this and find out. Jim said he was interested in trying this to, so between the two of us, we should be able to come up with some decent answers.
Quote by Invader Jim
Any ideas where I can cannibalize a bar of zinc? I'm cheap AND broke.

Head to a boat yard, bring a small saw.

I hadn't thought of that part yet. Probably a marine supply store. Ebay? I'ld have to look into that.
Zinc is actually found at the core of all the modern canadian pennies. not sure about the states.

thinking on this more, copper will conduct as well, so would you be able to hook a couple pennies up in series?
------

Shwiggity.
I do believe the zinc needs to be exposed.
And as for pot casings, I guesse that would work, but that now makes me question if this will work, because then technically are already inline with the electronics, because they get soldered to, hrm.
Quote by PainIsPower
On boats and other metalic things people don't want rusting they put zinc bars/strips. I don't want to get into the science of it, but as long as there is an electrical connection between the two metals this will work.
please DO get into the science of it. And learn a bit more science while you're at it.

This works because both the metal of the boat you want to protect and the zinc are both immersed in water. impure water and especially salt water is an electrolyte. the zinc acts as a cathode and is corroded. it's sacrificed to protect the other metals which act as anodes in this process.

You aren't going to be immersing your guitar in water, so there will NOT be battery action occurring. What's corroding the strings is the Acids and Salts from your hands. putting zinc elsewhere in your guitar will not remove these acids or salts and will not stop them from corroding your strings. You don't have an electrolyte working for you, unless you wanna dunk your guitar in water, when it's not being used.

1 - Oil the strings down when you first put them on. Mineral oil (baby oil) works a treat. It's cheap, readily available, and wipes off easily. It won't harm the finish on your guitar.

2 - Stop being a lazy-ass and wipe the strings down after you're done playing. This only takes seconds to do and it's not that fucking hard.

3 - Learn ALL the science involved before you start stirring up people to follow your hare-brained ideas, please. Taking little bits of truth and arranging them to support faulty conclusions is as bad, if not worse than outright lying.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hrum. Oops. I remember that now. It's been a couple years since I took a chem course so it looks like I forgot a bit. I forgot about that electrolyte part.

I will admit I was wrong, but...

It seemed reasonably convincing, so perhaps I could market it to the world, and also say it improves tone and sustain by adding mass to the body, and will protect the strings under certain conditions, I just wont mention the submerged in water part.

It will be the new snake oil.
^^^^There you go. A little science lesson. Sacrificial anodes are common on steel hulled boats and lower units on boat engines, in a salt water environment mostly. And they can be installed in house hold plumbing to help protect copper pipes, the minerals in the water create the electrolyte. It does a good job when the corrosion is due to electron flow. But wont do diddly squat for guitar strings. It would have been used in guns long ago to protect the metal from skin oils etc if it did. At 6 bucks a set probably need to buy the bulk sets of strings where the cost goes down to about 3 bucks. And elixers are overpriced and not very good for many players.
your strings rust? I've never had a sting rust in my life, some strings being more than 5 years old atleast
Cam you also live in a AUS isn't it dry all the time.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
*attacks flame suit* change your strings more often, like the rest of us!!!!!

Kidding, yer the zinc idea should work.
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
I thought the zinc had to be in physical contact with the other metal?

Regardless, you could just place a strip of zinc behind the stings on the headstock, near the nut.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
I don't think it'll work: the zinc will produce a supply of electrons to the strings as it corrodes, but the electrons will just escape to ground.

but If I'm wrong, magnesuim would work better and is easily stolen from sceince classrooms

someone you knew, I'm not sure about what you've said... would it work if you kept the zinc wet?
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 28, 2009,
is there anything SomeoneYouKnew DOSENT know
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
SYK knows his stuff.
Logically, it seems to me that the zinc bar would not have any effect with the reactions (i.e. rusting) taking place down by the nut. It's not gonna zap the oils from my hands that are like 25 in. away. But that's just the way I think about it. SYK wins again.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
As a Chemistry undergrad, I can only say that this thread hurts my head

It wouldn't work, for reasons SYK has already explained.

Wipe your strings down after you play, buy a guitar-cloth (or similar), the money you'll save on strings over time makes it a viable option.
Are you fat?

Fat people sweat, and sweat rusts metal...

Just and idea.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Are you fat?

Just and idea.
Now, that's great thinking.
Forget about putting a patch on the problem. Go right to the source and fix the cause!

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Being fat does not mean more sweat. Everybodies skin chemistry is different. A string that works great for 1 person corrodes really fast for another. My strings dont rust the plating wears off from playing not really a way to prevent that. I tried different brands some the finish came off in hours others days some others weeks. I use GHS now I just run my stick of fast fret down the strings when Im done and they last for weeks or months depending on how much I play the particular guitar. So TS try different strings. The zinc isnt going to work unless you plan to play guitar in your swimming pool.
Haha, yeah. I messed up on my chem a bit. I forgot the whole electrolyte bit. But like I said, it's been awhile since I've taken a chem course. I am surprised how long this thread went on even after SYK said it wouldn't work, and I even admitted it wouldn't work right after.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Are you fat?

Just and idea.

Everyone sweats.

Are you illiterate?

Illiterate people can't spell.

An has no "d"

Quote by PainIsPower
Everyone sweats.

Are you illiterate?

Illiterate people can't spell.

An has no "d"

hey man, don't try to divert attention by bringing Ryan's literacy into question.
get off your ass and lose some weight, fatty.

(Invalid img)

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Page 1 of 2