I've had an ongoing issue with most of my guitars and the string tension on them. I use 9's on them but if i tune to standard or e flat even the strings just seem to tight for me. Now i know how to set up a guitar pretty good, the truss rod is right, its intoned. . .

What can i do? it seems like my only option is to tune down a step or so. . .
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
so this issue is with every guitar?

more than likely you need to strengthen your fingers more, i use 10's and they feel flimsy to me somedays.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
tune down and play metal. it's the only logical thing i see here.
Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f***ing car.
I love pulp...
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair...

I will find this girl.

8s? Ernie Ball makes super-extra-amazing slinkies if you can't deal with 9s. You should eventually build up some strength in the old fingers, though.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
its really not a string thing, its more a picking thing. And i do play metal, i just have a light touch witht he pick and i like high speeds to just come really easy you know?
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
Quote by Neo_Towel
i like high speeds to just come really easy you know?

practice young padawan and your fingers strong they will one day be, HMMMmmm.
Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f***ing car.
I love pulp...
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair...

I will find this girl.

Scale length has a big effect on tension. MY 25.5 scale strat with 9s feels like my 24.75 LP with 10s. Just gonna need to build up some finger strength. Or play everything drop tuned.
Quote by rockinsk8r91

lawl
you need to strengthen the dexterity of your fingers, tune to standard tuning, and just to alot of practice warmups. such as bends slides. it might cut up your finger tipes but it happens, its just like weight training, no pain no gain
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Ok, to start with, IVE BEEN PLAYING GUITAR FOR 12 YEARS! my finger strength is fine. its hard to explain but its a type of sound that i like, my synyster custom is the art of perfection, as my truckster is. which are different scales, it realy throws my off. my sz520 which is a 25.1 is actually the most perfect feeling fretboard ever, and my les paul prophecy is the one i have trouble with.

just because i dont like a guitar to play against doesnt mean that my fingers are weak. its like when your playing baseball, and you hit a ball just right and it just flies off the bat like butter, compared to when you hit a ball ****ed up and it hurts your hands real bad.

!!!
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
11's in standard feel loose to me now. Its just finger strength just play a lot.

EDIT: nevermind, just saw your post above.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by rockinsk8r91

Very...very logical indeed!

...wtf?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

There's no "problem" with anything - you just bought a guitar that doesn't suit you, surely after 12 years you know that they all feel different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The beauty of a TOM style setup is there are two ways to reduce string tension. The first way is to raise the stop tailpiece off the body some to change the angle the strings run over the bridge at. The second is to insert your strings differently.... you insert them thru the tailpiece from front to back and bring them over the top of the tailpiece (J Page/J Bonamassa style) This basically changes the angle over the bridge as well but allows yuo to keep your tailpiece mounted to the top firmly which some people prefer for sustain.
Moving on.....
Quote by rockinsk8r91
practice young padawan and your fingers strong they will one day be, HMMMmmm.

this
Quote by KenG
The beauty of a TOM style setup is there are two ways to reduce string tension. The first way is to raise the stop tailpiece off the body some to change the angle the strings run over the bridge at. The second is to insert your strings differently.... you insert them thru the tailpiece from front to back and bring them over the top of the tailpiece (J Page/J Bonamassa style) This basically changes the angle over the bridge as well but allows yuo to keep your tailpiece mounted to the top firmly which some people prefer for sustain.

I've actually tried that, in all honesty i think the biggest issue is the angle of which the neck has been set.
Electro Metal???

myspace.com/lividarchaic
Unless you want the neck sitting way off the body, you need a neck angle to provide the clearance for a TOM. Only bolt-ons with low profile bridges can get away with a straight set neck.
Maybe you should stick to flat topped solid bodies with bolt on necks and no TOMs!
Moving on.....
I wish I had that problem with every guitar. I agree that your picking and fingers become stronger and that has an effect on tension, but I also think that the specs of the guitar have an effect on string tension as well.

My Ibanez RG (flat as hell, fixed bridge, 25.5" scale, medium frets, bolt-on neck) has moderatley high tension which I love. My ESP (angled neck, arched top, string thru with tonepros bridge, 25.5" scale, xjumbo frets, set neck) has low string tension which I hate. I've heard that tuning machines also effect tension (?). I dont know if this is true, but it seems logical that strings wrapped multiple times around tuning posts would be more stable than strings that are simply put through a hole and not wrapped. Also it's a fact that if the strings go in a straight line from the bridge to the tuners (i.e the strings aren't angled fromt the nut to the tuning machines) that have better stability and a bit higher tension.

I'm going to look into this more because I've heard all kinds of different players with different experience argue about string tension. Hope that helps.

Last edited by xXChimairaXx at Mar 11, 2009,