Hi guys!

I've been playing bass for 2 years now and although my fingerstyle and slap have improved heaps my picking has remained at a fairly poor level. Now i don't really wan't to learn to many picking styles as I will always be a fingerstyle player but I would like to be proficient at picking.

So, would sweep picking be the way to go? however I dont reall know how effective it would be with 4 strings and a larger string spacing than guitar.

any suggestions please post.
Hybrid pick, use the Pick for the lower strings and the fingers for the higher strings
Haha, it's not insane at all, country and bluegrass players have been doing it for centuries
What about alternate picking dudes?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
He should play to his strengths and iron out his weaknesses, hybrid picking does just that
Quote by Orbit91
He should play to his strengths and iron out his weaknesses, hybrid picking does just that
I fail to see how hybrid picking strengthens your ability to cross strings with a pick...
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
I fail to see how hybrid picking strengthens your ability to cross strings with a pick...

It negates that factor
Quote by Orbit91
It negates that factor

So then there would be no point doing it. He wants to get better at picking with a pick. He's never going to get better with a pick Hybrid Picking.

TS: Alternate pick. Up/Down/Up/Down etc. Then apply it to crossing strings whilst keeping your Up/Down motion going.
Quote by Ikonoklast
So then there would be no point doing it. He wants to get better at picking with a pick. He's never going to get better with a pick Hybrid Picking.

TS: Alternate pick. Up/Down/Up/Down etc. Then apply it to crossing strings whilst keeping your Up/Down motion going.

Hybrid picking uses a pick, he'll be training his picking while still training his fingers, I don't see what the issue is.
Quote by Orbit91
Hybrid picking uses a pick, he'll be training his picking while still training his fingers, I don't see what the issue is.

Because his fingers are already trained, he wants to specifically learn how to pick.

It's like playing through an entire song to work on a specific lick that you can't get, it's a waste of time IMO. If he strictly singled out picking he'd get better faster.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Because his fingers are already trained, he wants to specifically learn how to pick.

It's like playing through an entire song to work on a specific lick that you can't get, it's a waste of time IMO. If he strictly singled out picking he'd get better faster.

Hybrid Picking is still flatpicking, just with fingers involved
Quote by Orbit91
Hybrid Picking is still flatpicking, just with fingers involved

Thanks i am aware of this. Economy picking is picking with sweeps involved, would you recommend Eco picking to someone wanting to learn sweeping?

With 4 strings on a bass he's going to be fingerpicking at least 2 of them if he's hybrid picking. Why on earth you would recommend this technique instead of just explaining the fundamentals of alt picking is beyond me. I hope you're not a guitar teacher.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Thanks i am aware of this. Economy picking is picking with sweeps involved, would you recommend Eco picking to someone wanting to learn sweeping?

With 4 strings on a bass he's going to be fingerpicking at least 2 of them if he's hybrid picking. Why on earth you would recommend this technique instead of just explaining the fundamentals of alt picking is beyond me. I hope you're not a guitar teacher.

I would, surprisingly enough.
Considering Frank Gambale seems to be great at using both economy picking and sweeping.

I think hybrid picking would be far more efficient than alternate picking on Bass, because it's a different instrument to the Guitar, why do you think the majority of Bassists play with their fingers?

Why would I be a Teacher? I'm nowhere near skilled enough to give people lessons.
Quote by Orbit91
I would, surprisingly enough.
Considering Frank Gambale seems to be great at using both economy picking and sweeping.

I think hybrid picking would be far more efficient than alternate picking on Bass, because it's a different instrument to the Guitar, why do you think the majority of Bassists play with their fingers?

Why would I be a Teacher? I'm nowhere near skilled enough to give people lessons.

I'm not to sure, Alternate pickign has this natural rhythmic feel to it, every down beat is down and every upbeat is up, so this naturally makes up for dynamically the best way to play. (unless you got perfect dynamic/pick control in ur picking theoretically economy picking can get the same results.)

Especially for a bass player where rhythmic strong foundation is important.

Take for example strumming. Even if you don't play the strum you still do the motion to keep it flowing. If you don't keep this movement it's far less natural to get dynamically good sounding "Evenness"

Drummers sware by alternate hitting with the sticks as well, and in parradiddles (Where they mix it up)they use a natural continuity as well;

ie. Parradiddle is: R, L, R, R, L, R, L, L. (and repeating this where there it basically mirrors the movement every 4 hits which provides best natural continuity.

R = Right
L = Left

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I'm not to sure, Alternate pickign has this natural rhythmic feel to it, every down beat is down and every upbeat is up, so this naturally makes up for dynamically the best way to play.

Especially for a bass player where rhythmic strong foundation is important.

Drummers sware by alternate hitting with the sticks as well, and in parradiddles (Where they mix it up)they use a natural continuity as well;

ie. Parradiddle is: R, L, R, R, L, R, L, L. (and repeating this where there it basically mirrors the movement every 4 hits which provides best natural continuity.

R = Right
L = Left

I'd never advocate economy picking, like the TS suggested, but I would advocate Hybrid Picking, most forms of picking can have rhythmic control to them, some just take longer to get used to than others.

I understand where you're coming from though
Well, i've started hybrid picking except I reckon ill double thump with my thumb instead of using a pick and let the eq replicate the sound of the pick.

I can already alternate pick easy songs so I think ill improve on that technique then try economy picking aswell.

thanks heaps for the sugestions aswell