I found this sweet old combo amp at a local pawn shop this weekend. It's a Rickenbacker TR100. I asked to play it, and the dude straight up cranked it in the store, and the channel ruled. BUT, I don't really understand how the 4 inputs and stereo jacks work. Can anyone give me a guess to how this thing works? Oh, and the on switch goes to the right and left, middle is off.

They have it listed at $499, but I want it for $200 at most. The extension speaker jack is missing, and the distort channel (at least how I tried to use it) sounds like it is messed up. We turned that volume to 10 and it was still pretty quiet.

Oh, and the reverb is amazing though. I can see my self making some real good music with this amp, at the right price of course.

Thanks, Jason

EDIT- I just noticed that the picture of the knobs close up isn't completely what I found, if you notice on the picture of the whole amp, there are REVERB and PRESENCE knobs. That's the amp I found.
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin x100b, Epip VJr, Crate V33
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
Last edited by JasonArp at Feb 27, 2009,
bump, I really want an answer tonight so I can do some talking down tomorrow. : ]
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
There are 2 jacks on the clean channel for high and low gain pickups. It doesnt matter which one you use, some like the sound of one, some like the other.

Same for the distortion channel. Its also got inputs for running you guitar in stereo. Like if you have a stereo chorus pedal you can run the two seperate ends into it and have a nicer sound.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
So if I wasn't running any pedals like phaser or anything the stereo is kinda... pointless?

Hmm. Well when we had the guitar plugged into the number 1 slot in the middle, the reverb worked, and when it was in the other number 1, it didn't work as good. Any ideas about that?

Thanks for the info though, that helped a lot.

Jasona
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
Quote by JasonArp
So if I wasn't running any pedals like phaser or anything the stereo is kinda... pointless?

Hmm. Well when we had the guitar plugged into the number 1 slot in the middle, the reverb worked, and when it was in the other number 1, it didn't work as good. Any ideas about that?

Thanks for the info though, that helped a lot.

Jasona

Its just the sound of the input. Alot of fender tube amps have the two inputs as well. If you liked the way things sounded on input 1 then use that one.

The stereo thing is there for when you have stereo pedals. Like Chorus for example. Chorus takes one guitar signal and seperates it into two. So you can run each indivudal signal into the amp and its sounds alot nicer. Some delay pedals are like this too. If you don't have anything like that then yeah you may not need it.

The way I see it, just plug your guitar into every input and mess around with all the knobs and see if you like it or not. Then if it looks well put together and sounds nice by all means take it.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Yeah, that makes sense!

One last question, because I'm new to amps... Would this work well plugged into my 2x12 cabinet?

I want to replace my tube head because it's too loud for practice, but I'm afraid a combo alone won't do good with shows. Plus, I think it would look cool with the already old school look of the cabinet. haha

Jason
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
Quote by JasonArp
Yeah, that makes sense!

One last question, because I'm new to amps... Would this work well plugged into my 2x12 cabinet?

I want to replace my tube head because it's too loud for practice, but I'm afraid a combo alone won't do good with shows. Plus, I think it would look cool with the already old school look of the cabinet. haha

Jason

You said earlier that the speaker extention jack is broke correct? so no, you wouldn't be able to plug a 2x12 cab in because the ohms wont match.

If you need more volume just mic the amp and you'll be fine.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
You said earlier that the speaker extention jack is broke correct? so no, you wouldn't be able to plug a 2x12 cab in because the ohms wont match.

If you need more volume just mic the amp and you'll be fine.

Well it's not broke, the washer fell off and the jack is in the amp, but as far as the pawn shop guy goes, that's going to cost me 75 bucks to replace .

But the ohms wouldn't match up any how? I think the cabinet is a 16? or 8... one of the two.
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
bump, if anyone else has any info, please inform me :].
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
If I read this correctly. Any shop charging you $75 to screw a nut and washer on a jack is insane. Stay away from that shop. Give a more honest shop your time and money.
Quote by JasonArp
Well it's not broke, the washer fell off and the jack is in the amp, but as far as the pawn shop guy goes, that's going to cost me 75 bucks to replace .

But the ohms wouldn't match up any how? I think the cabinet is a 16? or 8... one of the two.

$75??? No way. Just do it yourself if you are going to buy this, but...

sounds like you are only interested in the reverb - and the amps uniqueness. Ya it looks kind of cool, and its different, but it doesn't even work right - and you can buy reverb for a lot less. It's the amps tone that is important, right? Is it really worth the hassle? Buy a Vyper or something for $200.
original rickenbacker basses had two inputs
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by The Real Ming
If I read this correctly. Any shop charging you $75 to screw a nut and washer on a jack is insane. Stay away from that shop. Give a more honest shop your time and money.

No, I think he meant that he's going to tell the pawn shop guy it's gonna cost 75 bucks to fix that as a way to talk the price down more.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
No, I think he meant that he's going to tell the pawn shop guy it's gonna cost 75 bucks to fix that as a way to talk the price down more.

Yeah, that's what I was saying... I looked in the amp, it's all intact.

Quote by 667

sounds like you are only interested in the reverb - and the amps uniqueness. Ya it looks kind of cool, and its different, but it doesn't even work right - and you can buy reverb for a lot less. It's the amps tone that is important, right? Is it really worth the hassle? Buy a Vyper or something for $200.

Well, I don't know if I said it, but I was really feeling the clean channel on the amp. It gave this really sweet airly tone that sounds like old beatles style stuff and you know? And it had this awesome weird sounding feedback when I got real close, and when I play like using some feedback in my songs.

So I wasn't discounting the tone at all, I loved what I got out of it.
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
If I were you I'd buy it and A/B it with the Crate V33 for distortion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
...Can I do that? I would love to experiment with something like that if someone walked me through the steps.

I'm new to all these electric things since I am a drummer turned guitar head.
Les Paul, Strat, Tele
Carvin 4x12, 2x12
Of course it's possible. You'd need to buy/make an A/B pedal of some sort. They're really simple if you can solder. There're a couple diagrams floating around UG.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??