So I am just getting into bass and I need an amp. I dont have a band (I would like one though), play in shows or anything. It will mostly be used in my house but will occasionally be used to jam with some friends (usually in a somewhat small room, somewhat loud drums, and a guitar or two)

100w should be good enough right? Could I go lower and save a few bucks? I play chili peppers type stuff and mars volta type stuff, maybe some fall of troy...just stuff like that (i dont know how to classify it). I've mostly been playing more popping/slapping type stuff though.

Anyways, so I went to the pawnshop today and found a

Fender Rumble 100 for $225

and

Peavey TKO 115 for $250

Should I get either of those? The fender for $225 is a pretty sweet deal (compared to a brand new one atleast) Although I have yet to test it. How should I go about it? I cant really crank it too loud in the pawn shop.

I'm going to guitar center with some friends this coming thursday. Guitar center is almost 2 hours out of the way :/ And I want to check out an acoustic B100. Its $250. How is it compared to the fender? Should I just get that fender or maybe just go to guitarcenter and check out some smaller size amps or grab that acoustic?

Thanks
I know this is a gear forum but the guys in The Bass Guitar forum can help you. They really know their amps. You don't want to get caught with two threads exactly the same in two different places so maybe ask a Mod to move this if no one else chimes in.

Edit for typos
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I know this is a gear thread but the guys in The Bass Guitar thread can help you. They really know there amps. You don't want to get caught with two threads exactly the same in two different places so maybe ask a Mod to move this if no one else chimes in.

What he said. I'll just report it so that it'll pop up faster. Good luck.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I like Acoustic Amplification, but if you EQ it wrong, you will sound like a muffled glove.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by bboyjon
So I am just getting into bass and I need an amp. I dont have a band (I would like one though), play in shows or anything. It will mostly be used in my house but will occasionally be used to jam with some friends (usually in a somewhat small room, somewhat loud drums, and a guitar or two)

100w should be good enough right? Could I go lower and save a few bucks? I play chili peppers type stuff and mars volta type stuff, maybe some fall of troy...just stuff like that (i dont know how to classify it). I've mostly been playing more popping/slapping type stuff though.

Anyways, so I went to the pawnshop today and found a

Fender Rumble 100 for $225

and

Peavey TKO 115 for $250

Should I get either of those? The fender for $225 is a pretty sweet deal (compared to a brand new one atleast) Although I have yet to test it. How should I go about it? I cant really crank it too loud in the pawn shop.

I'm going to guitar center with some friends this coming thursday. Guitar center is almost 2 hours out of the way :/ And I want to check out an acoustic B100. Its $250. How is it compared to the fender? Should I just get that fender or maybe just go to guitarcenter and check out some smaller size amps or grab that acoustic?

Thanks

Man, if you're just starting and aren't playing gigs, a 15W amp is definately enough, you'd save alot of money buying a nice new 15W amp (Not Behringer) and a good Ibanez. Good luck.
^ A 15W wouldn't cut it for jamming with friends...not by a long shot. Wouldn't sound as good either.

Of those two amps, the TKO is easily the better. It sounds better, is built better, and has the ability to add an extension cab.
Nope, no sig here.
I would definately get the TKO, it's a great deal and will last you until you start really getting into bass.
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ A 15W wouldn't cut it for jamming with friends...not by a long shot. Wouldn't sound as good either.

Of those two amps, the TKO is easily the better. It sounds better, is built better, and has the ability to add an extension cab.

My mistake, didn't read the jamming with friends part, in that case perhaps a 100W amp is a good investment? Or maybe I'm just jealous I didn't start off with one.
Don't feel bad, I started off with an old 40W that shocks you when you plug it in wrong...it has a 2-prong plug.

It's a beast of a 40 watter though, I actually gigged with it for quite a while.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
Don't feel bad, I started off with an old 40W that shocks you when you plug it in wrong. It was a beast of a 40 watter though, I actually gigged with it for quite a while.

Ah lucky you, the only jam-volume amps I've played are the school's Behringer's... yeah let's not get into that. I have a similar problem with my amps, except it's on my power board, sometimes the power plug gets a little loose and when I plug it back in sparks fly everywhere! It's incredibly scary and I fear for my life every time I go to plug it back in.
I wiouldnt call being able to add an extension tto the peavey a plus. Youll only get a few watts extra. The fender is workable though, and doe just cut it. Leave the eq flat and boost the mids a wee bit, and use your bass to shape it. Or get an eq pedal later.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^ It's not the extra wattage that's the plus, though...it's the extra speaker(s), and the air-moving power that comes with it. It'd be fairly easy to start building a good rig like that...you start by adding a 410 to the combo, then get a head to power it, and then maybe add a second cab to that.
Nope, no sig here.
But youll only have like 50 watts gouing into the second cab, and 80 if its on its own. Im presuming the peavey is 100 watts. I think on combos you shouldnt have the option od adding a extension cab unless its 300 watts. IMO of course.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I see what you mean, and yeah it'd be pretty underpowered for a stack, but a second cab would still add quite a bit of volume. What I'm thinking is that with a 410 on top of it it'd be loud enough for gigs.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn

Which two? just the peavey and the fender? How is it compared to the acoustic because they are the same price
Should I even bother going to guitar center? or should I just go ahead and get the peavey or fender. The only amp that I would test out there is the acoustic b100. I would test some lower power amps but theres no reason to because they are all around $200 bucks anyways :/
I have the Rumble 100 and it's OK. It's built like a freakin tank, but overall tone is pretty bland and it's a quiet 100 watts.
How should I go about testing the amps? I cant really crank the amps in the pawn shop. How should I set the eq and what not
Find the bass that you own at guitar center and plug into all the amps you are considering. Buy whichever one you get the best sound from! Make sure to mess around with the eq for a good while on each amp.
Thats the thing though, my bass probably wont be there. I just got an olp mm2 off of ebay but yeah it wont get here until a day after I go to gc. What is the closest bass to the olp? should I just grab a squier? or should I just grab a stingray lol
Grab a stingray, they wont mind, you might cause it will feel and playand sound alot nicer than youre OLP.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^^^ thats exactly what I was thinking. Do I want to test a sweet ass bass on an amp that I would buy, then end up comparing to my olp and finding out how sucky it is :/
fender rumble 100 was my first bass amp, it shook our entire house with every note. my mom made me get rid of it.....i cried.....it even had an under light man! it was like shooting lassie!!
Try adding more delay.
i own a tko 65. it's my home practice amp. 60 watts of pure delicious tone. I death metal, classic rock, and more classic metal like black sabbath and iron maiden. I also dabble in jazz and blues from time to time. great versatile amp. Remember the mid shift is your friend. that's what makes if so versatile. I assume yours will have one because mine has one.

EDIT: play many many different basses through the amp. dial in a tone with all of them. Basses that are similiar to yours, and basses that are totally different in every way. That way you can be sure of what it's capable of in all situations.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 1, 2009,
So I tried the fender and the peavey at the pawn shop. The input jack on the fender was broken (since it is plastic), well not really broken but the plastic part is chipped, still works perfectly fine.

I mostly played the fender but I would switch to the peavey a little bit. I started to like the tone of the peavey but whenever I would turn it on and start playing the speaker would clip or something, it sounded like it was blown, but after 10 seconds I didnt notice it, I think it was just when it first turns on, is that normal? It is a tko S btw, I dont know if the S is standard or not. It was next to a drum set so I dont know if the crackling was due to that or not with the fender I didnt hear anything. I think its between the fender or acoustic. I could probably get the fender down to atleast $200 maybe even less :/

How does the acoustic b100 sound compared to those? any sound clips of it?
Last edited by bboyjon at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
Don't feel bad, I started off with an old 40W that shocks you when you plug it in wrong...it has a 2-prong plug.

It's a beast of a 40 watter though, I actually gigged with it for quite a while.

I STILL have the 30W I started with. Starts to fart at 3/5 volume with the gain at half.

I'd personally go with the Fender, but thats just my tendancy to go with anything Fender. Can test any of the amps in the pawnshop?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
yeah, well i have the behringer 45w.....................uuuuggghhhhh
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
i'd go for the peavey but i'm a peavey nut. the acoustic gets my second choice.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Acoustic.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom