Page 1 of 29
Welcome to the Ultimate Settings thread. This is where you can ask all your questions about how to get that "Slash tone" or the Angus Young crunch tone, or any other sounds you wish to nail.

Users are also welcome to submit amp settings if they wish, so other users can just scroll back to find your settings

Please include:

Gear used
Gain
Treble
Bass
Mids
Reverb

Try and specify whether by '7' you mean the 7-o-clock position or the actual number 7.

Sound samples are always welcome too.

If you are playing a marshall MG below 100 you will have a contour knob, this basically sucks your mids so if the mids say 5, set your contour to 5, if you need mids of 7 set your contour to 3. (SV: not too sure on this information, I remember that the contour on the old G-series (MG predecessors, sucked just as much ) worked just like a mids knob - some input needed here)

I'll start off with a Metallica style setting

Gain - 9
Treble - 10
Mids - 2
Bass - 7
Reverb - 3

If anyone wants to add anything in pm me it and ill do it or tell sv and he could do it.

Enjoy
-Joe

SV:
RULES:
Keep it clean - I'll have this stickied

Spam or unrelated posts will be
deleted.

Please keep this thread filled with posts STRICTLY about settings. NOT about which band kicks ass, how bad which amp is, etc.
Once again, unrelated posts, WILL be deleted.

From now on, this will be the ONLY thread on settings. ALL OTHER SETTINGS THREADS WILL BE CLOSED AS SOON AS I SEE THEM.

I'd also like to add that this thread is ONLY A REFERENCE to how you might be able to achieve certain tones. At the end of the day, you're not going to nail Petrucci's tone unless you have a rack system that looks like it was designed by NASA, nor are you going to achieve Hendrix's tone by using a Marshall MG10. I personally believe that its also good to try and find your OWN tone, something that isn't copied off someobdy else, but is yours.

I'd also like to give credit to Backup Guitar for approaching me with this thread idea a long long time ago; it was just never implemented due to the lack of time. Cheers buddy

Thank you.

SV
Last edited by SV300 at Jun 12, 2004,
GEAR USED

Epiphone Goth Explorer (stock humbuckers)
Randall 100 w/ Stereo Chorus
Darelectro 7-band EQ pedal run through the Effects Loop

Gain: 5
Treble: 6
Bass: 8
Mids: 2
Reverb: 3 (master reverb)

And I'm fiddling around with the EQ.

I am currently tuned down to C, so I'm looking to model the tone after bands like Arch Enemy and In Flames (The Jester Race-Clayman years).
Does anyone know and settings or how to get a good Omar rodriguez/mars volta sound? for example songs like eriatarka and interiactic ESP and any other off the De-loused album? thanx in advance
Cheese is good, but Jimmy Page is god!
Do anyone know how to get a Fuzz Face? I got a Squier stratocaster,Squier 10w amp n a zoom 505 II
umm a fuzz face is a pedal u cant get that effect out of your amp. they cost about $300 australian and theyre totally worth it.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
Need good Tony Iommi of black sabbath sound. I'll be playing Warning soon so I need it bad.
The world is a wonderful place, but its not worth saving.

-I agree with the second half
i got this set of toni iommi settings of the last thread hope it helps and i mean the numbers not the o'clock position
Bass-6
Treble-6
Middle-6
Gain-7 or 8

if anyone has the puddle of mudd settings they would be greatly appreciated

-adski
Originally posted by mr_hankey
That's disgusting. There's a pube underneath the A string.

UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Last edited by adski at Mar 27, 2005,
i'v been thinking about changing the bridge pickup on my strat to a humbucker to give me more flexibility and a more powerful 'crunch' tone. I would apreciate it if anyone has any specific settings to give me a thick clear overdriven rhythm sound, and also a heavier lead tone. like Jimi Hendrix's in Voodoo Chile, or in Dave Gilmore's Comforably Numb solo. cheers. I have a Marshall AVT 100 btw xxxxxxxx
Last edited by stripeysam at Mar 28, 2005,
This is the closet I can get to the Kurt Cobain Chorus sound on a Ibanez CF-7 Pedal
Speed- 10
Depth- 5
Delay Time- 0 or 1.5
Regen- 3
"everybody loves stars, everyone fell into her world, she made it."

-Cold-Confession-
I usually set everything to about a 6.
6:00
on the Christmas morning.
that's what I want.
Anyone know good Pearl Jam settings I've got a Jackson DKMGT and A peavy classic 30, any advice is appreciated thanks.
Originally posted by lionheart0117
I never eat there, but I just got a job at Jack-In-The-Box. Yeah, I know. The proud, the few.

You can laugh at me now.
Originally posted by pajamaboy206
Anyone know good Pearl Jam settings I've got a Jackson DKMGT and A peavy classic 30, any advice is appreciated thanks.

that would be really nice but settings for a decent amp and guitar..maybe a good pearl jam wah wah setting for a boss pw10 vwah.

cheers
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
Anybody know some good settings for three daysw grace with an available bad monkey tub overdrive, and a digitech grunge pedal, i haven't been able to find anything that works good yet. Btw my amp is a Marshall MG 10 with two channels, clean and overdrive
gear in sig

i want a good Unearth sounds... for the song Zombie Autopilot.. or just just a general Unearth sound heheh but im trying to learn Zombie Autopilot right now...

Knobs...
Amp:
bass
treble
volume

Pedal:
Level
High
Low
Mid
Mid Freq
Distortion

ANY SUGGESTIONS?? plz post knobs as... "o'clock"
EX. High - 3 o'clock THANKS!
Agile AL-2500
Line 6 Spider 112
NS-2 Noise Supressor
MT-2 MetalZone Pedal (if i need it)
My Setup
any Clapton/Cream tones......like Sunshine Of Your Love?

i got an AD30VT so im pretty sure i can get close i just dont know how......i also got an Agile AL-2800 w/ JB in bridge......any help would be appreciated........o and a BOSS OD if that helps.....
Well I have a boss overdrive/distortion, which is awesome with the right settings. I'm running it through a 15 watt Marshall amp, with a cheap Ibanez guitar. Sometimes I can get some sweet tones out of it, but other times its pretty crappy. Can anybody advise me on some settings?
Originally posted by TUMFP

i got an AD30VT so im pretty sure i can get close i just dont know how......i also got an Agile AL-2800 w/ JB in bridge......any help would be appreciated........o and a BOSS OD if that helps.....

When playing Clapton, and Cream specifically, I use my neck pickup with a slightly overdriven bluesy tone. Not to much distortion. I usually set lows and highs equally at about 1-3 o clock and fairly high mids.

EDIT: I've found that some of his stuff after Cream, such as Derek and the Dominoes and his Solo career, that he uses a little more highs than in Cream.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Mar 30, 2005,
Hows bout some evanessence settings? thanx in advance!
Official Mascot of The Fender Armada!
Two Four Six Eight, Who Do We Appreciate? Yay Fender Woooo!!

Epiphone G-400 Custom - Fitted with a Original Bigsby B5
Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone OCD
Vox V847 Wah
Rotovibe
Boss Flanger
MXR Phase 90
Originally posted by TUMFP

Uhmm the avt sucks, but a marshall is neccesary. Clapton used a ES-335 into a wah left in the open position, then ran that into his Marshall Plexi. Clapton has always been an "anti" effect guy. So having a **** load of pedals isnt the way to get to a clapton sound. And by the way, even if you do do this, your not going to "nail" it becuase tone is in the hands. But id recoment turning up the bass and mids, and noking out a little treble, since you dont have a wah, just turn more mids up, and plug straight into the amp. Youll have to fiddle with the settings to get a good breakup sound. NOT a distroted sound, but a broken up sound.

hope this helps!
This is the only country on earth where you can impeace a president for lying about a blow job, and then re elect the one who lied to send us to war.
I got a new amp and my God did I need one! I only had a crappie AXL G10 but saying that I got some ½ descent sounds from it with my Marshall jackhammer.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has some good setting for

Angels and Insects by Papa Roach

Last resort by Papa Roach

And Crawling by Linkin Park

A clean sound for Teen spirit by Nirvana would also be nice

When I do use my Marshall jh1 (Jackhammer) I only use the ?Ultra Crunch? (one of the setting suggested in the manual)

Does anyone have any cool setting? They would be greatly appreciated!

My amp is a Hughes and Kettner Warp 7 212 and I?m using a Maverick 2005 edition species series

The amp?s I don?t have a clue what to call them but it has

Clean)

Volume 0/10
Bass ?5/+5 (0 being 12 o?clock)
Mid ?5/+5
Treble ?5/+5

Warp) distortion settings

Gain 0/10
Master 0/10
Bass ?5/+5 (0 being 1 2o?clock)
Mid ?5/+5
Treble ?5/+5
Presence ?5/+5

Speaking of Presence what dose it do exactly from what I gather form reading the manual it has something to do with frequency but other than that I have no clue what it does (I just leave it set at 0)

I have a tendency to drag things on a bit so sorry.
Even though no one has asked, i have found the path to the Jimmy Page tone.

LED ZEPPELIN 1 Tone

This tone is alot different than the future page tones, it has more of a thick fuzz, and more delay. Most of it was due to page's experimaintation and stretching of the blues.

Page used A VOX wah wah, and ran it into a Gibson(maestro) Fuzz, then ran this into the Maestro EchoPlex. He then put it into his old Supro. I have never played a Supro So i cant tell you the settings on that.

I acheive the LZ 1 tone like this

A VOX v487 into A FULLTONE sould bender, into A vintage Meastro Echoplex(for the solos) into the clean on my Deville.

For the guitar anything will work(honestly) I use The SRV strat at the bridge pick up.

This will give you that "honk" tone, which alot like Black dog, which makes me belive that one of the layerd guitar parts is played with a tele, a fuzz, and supro. Im not sure. Just the ears.

Led Zeppelin 2 through In through the out door

This was quite a difference in tone on these albums from the first.
He ran the wah into the amp, occasionally adding in some echo. Later on(after PHYSICAL GRAFFITI) he added in a MX phase 90(used alot in Zeps downfall) He ran the Wah into his plexi's. Turned up, for the british Crunch.

Here is how i get there.

For this YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LES PAUL. of some kind. I have been unable to effectivly get what i want with the strat. I get an okay sound, but all in all its just not quite right.

I run my paul into my Vox wah, into my Deville's Drive Channel. Drive around 7 or 8 adjusting the volume to fit the accustics.
I like more treble, so i turn the bass ALLthe way down. ONE AT ALL. any bass comes from the wah(mine isnt true bypass.) I turn the treb all the way up(i like it) and the mids around four. This may sound like a trebly idea to you. But try it playing heartbreaker on the Les Paul Bridge pick up, youll get that page sting.

Ne way, i just thought id drop this. sorry about the length. This may get you close to a Pagey tone, but remember its all in the hands.
This is the only country on earth where you can impeace a president for lying about a blow job, and then re elect the one who lied to send us to war.
Last edited by mo5178 at Mar 31, 2005,
What is Mark Knopfler (i think thats how u spell it lol) using in Money for Nothing and how could i possibly come close to that sound? Thanx Dawgs...
Official Mascot of The Fender Armada!
Two Four Six Eight, Who Do We Appreciate? Yay Fender Woooo!!

Epiphone G-400 Custom - Fitted with a Original Bigsby B5
Fender 65 Twin Reverb
Fulltone OCD
Vox V847 Wah
Rotovibe
Boss Flanger
MXR Phase 90
Originally posted by Mascot
Omar has like, 20+ pedals so it'll be difficult to imitate his sound.
dont you mean 200+?

he did use over 200 diffrent pedals on frances...not all at once.....he used like 20 diffrent phasers and like 40 diffrent delay pedals
Anyone know how to get that sharp sound that Red Hot cHili Peppers have, when playing live? My guitars are in my sig, and i use a Roland Cube 30 amp. Thanks
ok, here goes; to the man with the knopfler:

Knopfler generally uses strats, and his fingers instead of a pick. Also, in that particular song he uses a wah pedal as a filter, i don't have any settings but that should give you a good idea.

Now as for the RHCP sound, frechante uses strats, usually the bridge pickup, so with your strat if you've got a coil tap you're good to go, but if not then cut the bass on the neck pickup and boost the treble a bit.

Now, as for my request, i've got an ESP EC-100 and a korg ax10 G and i was wondering if someone could give me some good petrucci rhythm and lead settings, i know he boosts his mids and rolls off his treble for his lead, but i don't know what to start from, i need a hand.
remember i will always love you as i claw your ****ing throat away, it can end no other way, it will end not other way
Last edited by dropped-b at Apr 1, 2005,
what is the settings for Green Day's Holiday? I have an Ibanez Gio, and some crappy ibanez amp.
[Q
Quote by Flight 101
Attacks: Come on, it's Hitler!
looking to get the Thrice tone. the lead for The Artist in The Ambulance, Deadbolt, The Beltsville Crucible, etc.

Using Gibson Sg Standard stock pick ups
Marshall AVT 150 Halfstack with AVT 400 cab
stock speakers.

maybe running through a Boss DS-1 if it makes nailing the tone easier.
Ok I need the tone in Blitzkrieg Bop from an Epiphone gothic les paul and a zoom fire 30 amp. If you've got any settings for the Chili peppers version of Havana Affair that'd be great too.
Heres a good setting for a nice thick metal crunch.

Gain - 7
Bass - 8
Mids - 6
Treble - 7

I use that rough idea on my Peavey XXX cept i usually have the gain a little lower.

Heres another setting. Its a great lead tone. I use it on the ultra channel of my XXX.

Gain - 8
Bass - 7
Mids - 8
Treble - 8

Once again though i usually have my gain quite a bit lower.
Last edited by Disposable_Hero at Apr 3, 2005,
mexican strat
roland cube 30

gain: 1
treble: 5
mids: 7
bass: 10
reverb: about 5 (not 5'oclock)

or

gain: 8
treb: 9
mid: 5
bass: 3
reverb: none.

i use this on my black panel or i switch it to my jazz clean channel with no gain, and the reverb is so delicious.