He plays pretty fast, but not really in the same way as malmsteen or becker, so idk. He's pretty underrated though.
**** man, never heard of them, but glad I came accross this thread; That vid is pure awesome :-p! Man, they're even Dutch,, makes me proud of living here in the Netherlands XD!
This, and Van Halen amongst other things :3
Quote by WishfulShredder
this was in '72 though

Apparently, focus are still going

Yea, I know. That's why Idk if he counts as a "shredder". He doesn't really play conventional shred like Malmsteen.
fucking LOL

the guitarist is pretty cool, reminds me a little of Paul Gilbert, and the singer made me laugh hysterically.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by WishfulShredder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U
Jan akkerman, from focus, plays some ridiculously fast stuff, back in '73 (if the tab is right, hes playing 18nps, but Idk)

and he does a sweep at one point, pre van halen.

(although I know there is a waaaaaaaay earlier example of chet atkins doing it somewhere)

Check out some jazz players from the 50s. In particular, Johnny Smith. He's the guy that actually wrote Walk Don't Run (yes, the Ventures tune), and there's this one cut on his album The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar (maybe his version of Misty?) that opens with the most smoking descending arpeggio lick. Incredibly (and I mean incredibly) fast, and clean clean clean.

Point is, sweeping "pre Van Halen" means nothing. People have been playing some crazy ass guitar for a long time. Hell, even just looking at the 70s, John McLaughlin was dishing out some insane licks far beyond the video clip you posted with Mahavishnu in 72.
no
Quote by bucky_2300
Check out some jazz players from the 50s. In particular, Johnny Smith. He's the guy that actually wrote Walk Don't Run (yes, the Ventures tune), and there's this one cut on his album The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar (maybe his version of Misty?) that opens with the most smoking descending arpeggio lick. Incredibly (and I mean incredibly) fast, and clean clean clean.

Point is, sweeping "pre Van Halen" means nothing. People have been playing some crazy ass guitar for a long time. Hell, even just looking at the 70s, John McLaughlin was dishing out some insane licks far beyond the video clip you posted with Mahavishnu in 72.

I always forget about john mclaughlin *facepalms*
No, he doesn't play 18 NPS, you're wrong and your tab is wrong.
He's not a shredder, and never will be.
Akkerman isn't a shredder. I think you may be confusing a fast player for shredding. He's not been in Focus for decades either. He belongs in the classic rock section.
upon reading some posts here, i'm just curious to know...how is it that you guys define shredders?

if a guy who's playing clean, fast, and in a band isn't considered a "shredder" then who is?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Orbit91

all i got that helped my idea of "shred guitar" is this

it is a fairly subjective cultural term used by guitarists and enthusiasts of guitar music.

meaning one person's shred guitarist is another guitarist's classic rock guitarist.

other than that, the article didn't help explain why this guy isn't considered a shred guitarist by some.

that term, it seems to me, is mainly used for more modern guitarists, but that's no reason to not call someone a "shredder" because he's from the 70's.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Mar 1, 2009,
The creators of "shred guitar"

Ritchie Blackmore- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ThYzWmCm_w

Uli Jon Roth- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5072S-hBg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPRAEeKjVjM&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVI3kXVuj5o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-pi1iVEgdY&feature=related

Ask Yngwie or any other top shredder from the 80's, they will tell you both names

Uli is incredible
Last edited by Jimi-is-god at Mar 2, 2009,
Jan Akkerman is awesome. I do prefer "Sylvia" to "Hocus Pocus" but that live performance seems to be a bit faster than the studio version. I also saw a video of Jan playing with Paco De Lucia and Jan said he felt as if he "had been run over by a jet plane" and that Paco had "The technique of a god".
Quote by strawforest007
Akkerman isn't a shredder. I think you may be confusing a fast player for shredding. He's not been in Focus for decades either. He belongs in the classic rock section.

Sorry but how is fast playing not shredding? You're not one of these fools who thinks that shred is confined strictly to neo-classical and Dream Theater are you?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sorry, but how is fast playing shredding? You're not confining Akkerman's style of play on the basis of one part in one song in his vast catalogue of songs?

Shred is not confined to neo-classical and Dream Theater, you're right.

Jan Akkerman should not be generally labelled as a shredder as he could only be very loosely attached to that term. If Akkerman is a shredder then on that basis there aren't many non-shred guitarists, surely defeating the point of labelling players as shredders?
Quote by strawforest007
Sorry, but how is fast playing shredding? You're not confining Akkerman's style of play on the basis of one part in one song in his vast catalogue of songs?

Shred is not confined to neo-classical and Dream Theater, you're right.

Jan Akkerman should not be generally labelled as a shredder as he could only be very loosely attached to that term. If Akkerman is a shredder then on that basis there aren't many non-shred guitarists, surely defeating the point of labelling players as shredders?

To me, shred is characterized by long, fast passages of playing such as Akkerman does. While the music may not be 'shred' he definitely plays shred solos at least some of the time, therefore he is a shredder.

Just because someone can and does shred on occasion doesn't mean that's all they do in my mind but it does make them a shredder to me.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX3he9m_nWQ another jan clip.

This piece is so nicel, first minute is relaxing intro, but watch through the clip, he has some very cool stuff. And some pretty nice shred/jazz lines later on at 3:30 and more shred lines at 4:20.

It's worth sitting through the song, and he's certainly technically as well as musically proficient.

Be Amazed by his versatility.

And certainly not classic rock, he played everything including transcribing/playing medieval lute stuff.

and another clip of gypsy jazz inspired guitar; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8-qoqPjNw&feature=related

More sick shred lines in this vid at 1:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbBfqW1Ze_0&feature=related

If he played that through A high gain amp, noone will doubt he's shred.

He's most definitely shred, only not the modern music genre if you want to call that shred.

He's more fusion.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
He's most definitely shred, only not the modern music genre if you want to call that shred.

I deny the existence of the "shred" genre...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I deny your existence! D:<
No, but seriously. Shred isn't a genre, its a technique per se. And Akkerman can do it, therefore he is a shredder.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
jan akkerman is amazin man really smooth playing,
id consider it shredding even if its not as ridiculous as some of the modern shredders jus cause hes not as crazy as ron jarzombek doesnt mean hes not a shredder
lol, you wanna have some underrated guitarists? try steve hackett, in my opinion, he invented tapping, shredding and all your other godlike techs.

Shred was "invented" way before '72 and was certainly not invented by Jan Akkerman.

P.S. ZOmg I love Jan Akkerman too, I saw Focus couple of months ago not with him of course...
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
He never said Jon Akkerman invented shred. That would be ridiculous and stupid.
He's saying John Akkerman was one of the first mainstream shredders. Well, mainstream for the 70's.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me