I can afford about 1000$ willing to go higher but eh....
floating Floyd Rose would be nice
A Kirk Hammet or James Hetfield signature?
Seriously dude.

Most of your sound is gonna come from your amp though, so theoretically...
You could make a Squier Bullet sound like Metallica with the right amp and pedals.
Amp?

EDIT: Where the fuck is the TS?
Last edited by captainoid at Feb 28, 2009,
Like the others said, it's more the amp than the guitar.

Guitar: Maybe a signature Kirk Hammett guitar (The one thats around 900)

Amp: SIgnature Kirk Hammet Randall Combo or Half stack used (Tube or SS)
JCM800
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Marshall JVM
Mesa Mark something or another
Metallica have used **** loads of guitars man. Their sound has been different on just about every album. You need to scoop your mids on a good amp and use decent quality passive pickups. Any flying V, Explorer, Les Paul or metal guitar will do really.
Inhuman evil take down!
please god tell us what amp you have.
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Quote by 18th_Angel
Metallica have used **** loads of guitars man. Their sound has been different on just about every album. You need to scoop your mids on a good amp and use decent quality passive pickups. Any flying V, Explorer, Les Paul or metal guitar will do really.

I agree with all of that except the passive pickups. Every guitar I've seen Metallica play has EMG's in it.
Their best stuff was recorded with passive pickups.
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Quote by clyne39

Yeah, I don't think they started using EMG's until after MoP. I was watching a video of them on their first tour for Kill Em All, and they just had stock Gibson Flying V's.
the amp leaves a bigger footprint on the tone but the guitar is still important. with high gain tone the tonality of the woods isnt as important but you deffinitely want a guitar with appropriate pickups for your desired gain level and tone. for metallica i would suggest anything with an EMG 81-85 combo but any high output pickup will do if you like the tone you get and you can still cut through the distortion enough to get a little definition and string seperation. keep in mind also that for that price the pickups in a guitar are worth replacing if everything else is good about it so just get whatever feels the best and has enough sustain and the tone coloration you prefer and you can always put in pups of your choosing. keep in mind if you want to do the emgs or any active pup you will need a guitar with enough space inside for the battery or a leuthier you trust to take a router to your body.
Quote by TatarSalad2
I agree with all of that except the passive pickups. Every guitar I've seen Metallica play has EMG's in it.

Yeah they strted out using passive's but switched on Justice I think, though I could be wrong. Personally I think you get a better grunty sound out of good passives but EMGs probably emulate them better.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
the amp leaves a bigger footprint on the tone but the guitar is still important. with high gain tone the tonality of the woods isnt as important but you deffinitely want a guitar with appropriate pickups for your desired gain level and tone. for metallica i would suggest anything with an EMG 81-85 combo but any high output pickup will do if you like the tone you get and you can still cut through the distortion enough to get a little definition and string seperation. keep in mind also that for that price the pickups in a guitar are worth replacing if everything else is good about it so just get whatever feels the best and has enough sustain and the tone coloration you prefer and you can always put in pups of your choosing. keep in mind if you want to do the emgs or any active pup you will need a guitar with enough space inside for the battery or a leuthier you trust to take a router to your body.

+25
Quote by clyne39

You think Kill 'Em All has good tone? Ride the Lightning is pretty good, although James hated it because he thought the Ibanez Tubescreamer sounded bad.

Metallica's best tone in my opinion is the Black Album and the Load/ReLoad stuff. That guitar tone is massive and chunky.

If you wan't good Metallica sound you're probably going to want a Boogie and a guitar with EMG's.
What I just got. S'got all you asked for and plenty of change. You did want ebony fretboard, 24 frets, FR type thingy and 81/85? This things got very nice touches too, like the rubber rings on the pots to prevent slip. Not too girly looks.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by TatarSalad2
Yeah, I don't think they started using EMG's until after MoP. I was watching a video of them on their first tour for Kill Em All, and they just had stock Gibson Flying V's.

Not to be a stickler, but didn't James use like, a Flying V copy for Kill 'Em All?

Anyway, pick up a decent amp before your guitar.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
What is your current guitar and amp then? Anyway I don't recommend buying a new expensive guitar/amp to get one particular band's tone, you'll eventually get bored of playing their covers after a while.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I second the notion of getting a new Amp first. That is unless you already have a decent one. I was on the lookout for buying a guitar and similar to yourself for Metallica tones until i read nearly the same responses all the time of new amp before guitar. (i'm still hunting for the right amp)

Guitar wise i would say you would be looking for kirk hammetts signature series from esp, £ wise they go from around 400 - 1k plus, so i guess 600 - 1500 $
A tone is 40% player, 40% amp and 20% guitar...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

i think TS has abandoned this thread
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by aradroxar
i think TS has abandoned this thread

I think TS has died
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
^Shall we bury or burn him? If you have $1000, spend $600 to buy a decent amp, tan take your other $400 and buy a used Jackson or ESP that you like that either has decent Seymour Duncans or EMG's.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

dont worry about your pups TS, whether they're passive or active doesn't matter. Just get a high gain metal monster for your amp (if you dont already have one). And depending on the guitars you already have, you may not even need a new axe.
ESP Ltd M-1000 the clostest guitar you can get to a kirk hammett signature in that price range, i have one there awesome!