If money weren't an issue I would say Martin. (as would the majority of most people I hope)
martin for sure unless youre comparing their lowest priced guitars (sub $1K without solid back or sides) with similarly priced ovations then its a tossup.
Sub $1K, I'd look elsewhere. Over $1K, I'd go for Martin.

But seriously, I'd look somewhere other than Ovation.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Both have very good (and also very different) high end models, but they also both put out instruments that are priced solely on brand name, like the Martin DX1.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
what models, what price range?

have you tried either?
as they look and feeling completely different, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The first response to this thread should have asked what the TS was looking for in a guitar. I mean, sure, I have opinions about Ovation and Martin, but I have no idea if they are relevant to what this thread is really about.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
to me, most ovations sound kinda metallic-ish. if you are willing to buy a higher quality martin, you will not be disappointed.
I own an Ovation, and I love it. I'll also be the first to tell you that they're an acquired taste- very bright sound and an unusual body shape. If you want any kind of real acoustic sound out of one, avoid the thinlines (though you could say that of almost any kind of thinline).

I can't think of a downside to Martins besides price.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Schneiderman
The first response to this thread should have asked what the TS was looking for in a guitar. I mean, sure, I have opinions about Ovation and Martin, but I have no idea if they are relevant to what this thread is really about.

That's true.

To TS, if you're looking at these two soley based on the name, then you're doing it wrong. The best way to figure out which acoustic is right for you is to play every guitar in your price range and decide which one you like best.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
martin probably
i own an ovation and love it but also know a lot of people who despise them, try one first to see if its for you
if moneys an issue than id recommend a takamine instead of the two
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
And in all honesty, if you're talking about guitars of quality, there are a LOT of them out there cheaper than a Martin and more aurally mainstream than an Ovation that are still excellent guitars- Taylors, Seagulls...maybe even a local (or UG) luthier.

I own a Jon Kammerer acoustic-electric that looks beautiful, sounds great and I got it for less than a Martin, for example.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 2, 2009,