Topic, I saw a brochure in another thread and they look nice, an affordable stingray. Anyone know where I can find more info or any links?
thanks
To the above poster -

Yeah, it all gets a tad confusing here. Theres a new series of basses being launched as a 'budget line' by Musicman called Sterling by Musicman. Completely different to the current Musicman Sterling bass.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man.gc

Viola! My local shop says they will be shipping some time in March/April to shops. Here's the link to the brochure...

http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/
I'm not that au fait with US prices, but that isn't too cheap, is it?

Edit: oh, okay they're the same price as the Fender deluxe p special, or the Ibanez SR700 or something. That seems about right.
Last edited by smb at Feb 28, 2009,
Its in the price range of the old SUB line. Its around 488 GBP. Definitely not a starter bass range.
hmmm hopefully I'll have the money to but the SB14 in a couple months, just wish it came in white w/ black pickguard.
Im would still go out and get a Musicman Sterling/Stingray over this. But i would get the SUB if i really did want something passive.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Those are actually quite impressive... Swamp ash body, 3 band EQ. I'm intrigued. I wouldn't buy one (not my bass), but they definately seem like a worthy StingRay/Sterling stand-in until you can afford one...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
(to fatgoogle)
Some of us can't afford the real Musicmans.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by Vampire 255
^^
Some of us can't afford the real Musicmans.

Myself included. These seem genuinley good, and I can't see how it's only QC and construction quality that will seperate the real Musicmans from these...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Neithier can I, but still, i wouldnt get one as a substitute, a midrange instrument, but ive got my jazz.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Neithier can I, but still, i wouldnt get one as a substitute, a midrange instrument, but ive got my jazz.

At least you've got a decent bass. I'm stuck with my shitty Stingray copy.

I see were your coming from then.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
hmm there was always those olp liscensed stingray copys
they were good basses for the price
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
The new FleaBass looks like it would be better than those, imo. Cheaper as well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
The new FleaBass looks like it would be better than those, imo. Cheaper as well.

No Way!!

This Sterling line seems pretty legit.

And I much prefer the ugly egg pickguard to the ugly circle pickguard.
Better Article
Stylish Yet Affordable Professional Bass Guitars by Flea

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Dec 31, 2008 – FLEABASS, Inc. today announced the upcoming launch of FLEABASS at the January 15-18, 2009 NAMM show in Anaheim, CA. *FLEABASS instruments are meticulously designed for style and performance by legendary bassist, Flea, of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. *The FLEABASS booth is #3192 and Flea will be making appearances daily.

Describing his inspiration for FLEABASS, Flea said “FLEABASS is born of my love of music education as a studier and a teacher of music, and a lover and a romanticizer of the tradition of it. I wanted students to have an instrument they could fall in love with, and I wanted them to be able to do it with the limited means that most of them have for acquiring one.”

FLEABASS instruments are professional quality and affordable, featuring Maple necks with Rosewood fingerboards, solid Alder bodies, 20 frets, geared tuners, one single pickup, and a signature FLEABASS logo on the peghead. *Additionally, each bass comes with a deluxe FLEABASS gig bag and an Instructional DVD featuring Flea.

Available in two (2) sizes, FLEABASS instruments appeal to students and professional players. *The Full Scale Series Bass features a 34” scale, while the ¾-size Junior Series Bass features a 30” scale more suited to players with smaller hands and statures. *FLEABASS instruments are brightly colored with four (4) vibrant, high gloss finishes: “Sunny Bass” (orange with yellow), “Water Bass” (blue with orange), “Punk Bass” (green with pink) and the “Wild One” (black
with white).

I am intrigued.

link to a pic showing all the colors.
Here.

Turns out the sales number is here in Rhode Island. Double Intriguing.
Last edited by ccam555 at Mar 1, 2009,
I'm very interested in the Ray34. I'm a guitarist but since my little brother (3 years younger than me) plays bass I'm kind of interested and since I just brought a Pod X3 simply for the purpose of recording I want to get started on bass to. But the only bass I ever really found interesting was the Stingray, but I can't even afford a used one but the sterling by musicman gives me finally a chance to get close to a real one without breaking my bank account. I'm going to a guitar show here in Sweden in mid April and I really hope that they will have some there so I can try them out.

Also it's less than 24h till their website opens

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
well Fleabasses are going to be $400-500 american, i talked to a guy, so idk which is gunna be better, taht'll be intresting, plus fleabasses are single coiled, so if i wasnt saving for a stand up, id go for the Sterling
Try adding more delay.
Well I think the fleabass looks dumb, the bright colors turn me off, other then the black and white one. So its between the SB14 and Ray34. Just a matter of getting the money.
I dunno, there is something nice about the Fleabass line, and since I already have a proper Musicman Stingray the budget line dosn't interest me too much.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Do any of you know if the SB14 has active pickups or just an active preamp?
wow according to the flea bass site their basses are 43" scale.........

I'm looking forward to this Sterling line (as you can see I'm a EBMM fanatic) i want to get a fretless ray

EDIT: No fretless models!
Last edited by Fly-By-Night at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by Fly-By-Night

I'm looking forward to this Sterling line (as you can see I'm a EBMM fanatic) i want to get a fretless ray

Defret one yourself?

fleabasses arnt 43" scales, their 34" and 30". You mustve looked at total length.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Quote by Vampire 255
Defret one yourself?

I could but it almost never turns out perfect, and i hate fret lines
Quote by Fly-By-Night
I could but it almost never turns out perfect, and i hate fret lines

For the fretlines try using something dark?

So the Sterling line replaces the discontinued SUB series, but on a broader level? Makes sense.

Not convinced by the Fleabass, especially since Stadium Arcadium was recorded on a '65 J bass, which makes Fleas sudden urge for low-end basses curious. It comes across as a direct attack on the OLP...

Quote by Fly-By-Night

There must be second hand Stingray fretlesses for about $600?
Last edited by the_underling at Mar 15, 2009,