Page 1 of 2
okay I posted a threa about 15 minutes ago about a distortion pedal..and I think I should be getting some opinions about all of the gear I plan to purchase..

here is a list;and prices of them..

1. Crate FlexWave HalfStack - $500
2. Scott Ian Black13 Distortion - $99.95
3. iBanez WeepingDemon wah pedal - $100
4. Digitech Turbo Flanger - $99
5. Boss Acoustic Simulator - $99

any opinons on any of those pieces of equipment?
are there any other things I should look for instead?
especialy the wah because I've never owned a WAH pedal. just a setting on a G1X Processer..

help?
Instead of the FW half stack, how about a used 5150 combo?

You're going for McMetal tones, right?
Quote by imgooley
Instead of the FW half stack, how about a used 5150 combo?

You're going for McMetal tones, right?

+1, or even the new 6505 112 that's coming out. The flexwave is not a very good amp, especially for that price.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The 5150 is a little small.
I need something around 100-120 watts to practice with a drummer ya know?
haha
anything else that would be good for trash?
No you don't, a 50 watt tube amp is 3db quieter than a 100 watt tube amp and still about twice as loud as that solid state crate stack. Read the stickies. Also, don't double post, that's what the edit button is for.
I tried to delete it but I guess it didn't work..
well im looking for a half stack.
any good ones?
Why? You don't need a half stack and frankly won't find a good one in that price range.
Quote by ColbyDTD
The 5150 is a little small.
I need something around 100-120 watts to practice with a drummer ya know?
haha
anything else that would be good for trash?

A 120 watt amp isn't powerful enough?

I've never heard a 5150 called to small for metal.

Do some research, please, and then post.

I.E. think before you speak.

I.E. Look before you leap.

I.E. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Or something like that.
Psst, goolz, the combos are 60 watts, you're still right though.
all bad. the ibanez wah might be accepatble because of its flexibility but not tone and the acoustic simulator might be usefull but not as much as it seems. unless youre playing big gigs without a pa you dont need a half stack. i would highly recommend a tube amp with 30 watts or less. dont worry about volume a tube 30 watt with 2 12 inch speakers sounds louder when cranked all the way up than that crate halfstack and 15 watts of tube is plenty loud enough to accompany a loud drummer and bassist unless you need a super clean sound at those volumes. and as far as effects i would HIGHLY recommend getting some kind of multi FX unit just to get a chance to try out many different FX and upgrade with quality pedals as necessary after getting a taste of how you can actually use them to play guitar. you need to try them out to see what you like. you might not want a flanger after trying a phaser or you might find out like many fx junkies that subtle effects like delays and reverbs can be just as fun to play around with and just as effective at getting the tone youre looking for as the one effect that you think you want right now.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Psst, goolz, the combos are 60 watts, you're still right though.

I know.
^^While I agree, I say don't take wattage in account at all. If a 100 watt amp sounds good then get it, who cares? It's not like a 30 watt amp is much quieter. Especially if we're talking metal, the extra headroom can definitely come in handy.

^Ok, I guess we're all referring to different things
Quote by Kevin Saale

^Ok, I guess we're all referring to different things

No, I'm just being an ass
Dude..Michael or whatever..you are the only one who has helped haha
the thing is, I use a G1X fx processer and I have all my effects and settings saved on it, but like I said before, there is no flexabilty. Its just what is on the board of that thing.
The wah is weak.
The distortion is stock.
but It has all the efx I want, they just aren't set to my taste.
and I can't just turn the efx on, I have to save a whole new setting for a different effect.

All I really NEED is a half stack and a distortion pedal.
its just the other would be good
ya know?
Last edited by ColbyDTD at Feb 28, 2009,
Why are you asking advice if you won't take any? Your tone will blow a donkey if you get that crate and run a garbage distortion pedal through it.
I didn't ask for advise. I asked for opinions.
and I just want to see what other things people prefer or like to use before I buy anything too expensive
Quote by ColbyDTD
the thing is, I use a G1X fx processer and I have all my effects and settings saved on it, but like I said before, there is no flexabilty. Its just what is on the board of that thing.
The wah is weak.
The distortion is stock.
and I can't just turn the efx on, I have to save a whole new setting for a different effect.

ya know?

Well, if you insist on a half stack, at least get a good one, and don't ignore everyone's advice if you dont like it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ColbyDTD
The wah is weak.
The distortion is stock.

ya know?

You don't have enough money to get any of the amps any person on this board would suggest to you, so just go and buy something that will make you happy for 2 months, then come back when you realize how wank it sounds, ask for more suggestions, ignore them, buy another amp that will sound wank.

Rinse, wash, repeat until you buy a 5150 combo.
Seriously man, listen to these guys. If you buy that, two years later you're gonna be thinking, "Jeez, why did I buy this giant PoS? I could've gotten a tube amp, but no, I had to have a half stack." I know it sounds stupid, but it's sound quality over looks. And a tube amp will sound good. It will be a lot louder than a solid state halfstack. Wattage measures the power, not the volume, that's the decibels. Just trust these guys, they both know what they're talking about.

Opinions? Ok, here we go:

The crate sucks, the black 13 sucks. I have no experience with the other stuff.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Seriously man, listen to these guys. If you buy that, two years later you're gonna be thinking, "Jeez, why did I buy this giant PoS? I could've gotten a tube amp, but no, I had to have a half stack." I know it sounds stupid, but it's sound quality over looks. And a tube amp will sound good. It will be a lot louder than a solid state halfstack. Wattage measures the power, not the volume, that's the decibels. Just trust these guys, they both know what they're talking about.

Well, you don't have to go tube to get toanz.

A Randall RG100ES or Ampeg VH-140c or Crate GX-130c will do the job.

But he wants McMetal tones, and those don't really have McMetal tones, though they can do br00tz.
You asked for opinions and you are getting opinions so how are these other posts not helping? Don't take it personally. We are trying to do you a favor. That Crate is just not that good of an amp, especially for the price. I'm not so sure those pedals are going to sound good thru it anyway. If you really need a half stack do you have a budget for the Cab?

Oh, and I'd get something more like this if you want a solid state amp head.

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/msg/1034464137.html

Quote by imgooley
Well, you don't have to go tube to get toanz.

A Randall RG100ES or Ampeg VH-140c or Crate GX-130c will do the job.

But he wants McMetal tones, and those don't really have McMetal tones, though they can do br00tz.

Hmmm... well, generally speaking. There are more bad SS than good.

Quote by ColbyDTD
so gooey says randall?

learn how to fucking read.

It's GOOLEY.

There is an L.

I say get an amp that makes sound, and nothing else.

TBH you smell like a troll.
im pretty much open to anything
but I need something around 100watts
plus im new to the whole amp heads thing and I really don't know how they work.
I've only been playing for a year or so
^You don't need 100 watts, you don't, you simply don't.

What's your whole budget?
Quote by ColbyDTD
im pretty much open to anything
but I need something around 100watts
plus im new to the whole amp heads thing and I really don't know how they work.
I've only been playing for a year or so

OK, listen. If you are using a Solid state, then it will need to be 100 watts or so to be loud enough. With a tube amp, it only needs to be 30watts. Tube amps are generally louder than SS amps. Wattage isn't a measure of sound! Generally, also, tube amps will sound better. There are plenty of exceptions like imgooley showed, but this is general. You do NOT need a stack. you need good tone. usually, a stack will be more expensive and hard to deal with. Now, if the amp you want only comes in a stack, then fine. But aim for tone, not looks. Check out the Spider Valve amp, and see if you like it from demos and reviews and such. If you need anything I'll try to help

Those are pretty decent amps to step up to for gigging and practicing. Very versatile. I personally dislike the controls, but I'm partial to a simpler amp.
Quote by ColbyDTD
my whole budget for the amp(s) is about $550
hows this for an amp? any better?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910

Yes. A lot actually. But I still suggest looking at the Line6 Spider Valve. Also, check out the valve version of that Peavey Vypyr. I'll find the link for you. It'll be a little more expensive, but worth it. Louder, better sound.

alright..im going to look around for tube amps.
but I have one question..
how would running just an amp head work?
dude regardless of whether you want to listen to kevin and gooley, and michael and saints, they are all right and all no what they are talking about. get a tube amp you will love yourself for it later and you won't have to upgrade. also you seriously do not need 100 watts to play with a drummer and a bassist, 30 or so will be plenty loud for your needs. i have a nice 5 watt tube and it blows my apartment away.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
Vypyr 60 tube hybrid

Quote by ColbyDTD

The head is only the amp part - you still need speakers (cabinet)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by ColbyDTD

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912 Check this out you might like it .

You can't run just a head. You have to have a cabinet. The head is all of the amp, without the speakers. You then hook up a cabinet, just a wooden box with speakers mounted in them, to the head. This is how the halfstack works. In a combo, the head is built into the same box as the speakers. there's no difference really.

Page 1 of 2