ive heard alot about OD pedals and how they can give a good metal tone, but can they really get very heavy? from what ive heard there more aimed at rock and such. and i dont know if my amp would suit one coz its a preamp tube in the power section (valve dynamic)
You use them to boost the front end of an already overdrive amp (pretty always a tube amp). An overdrive isn't gonna give you a good metal sound on an ss amp. Boosting an ss amp usually just sounds like crap.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Nah, not sure what kind of amp you have, but that one preamp tube doesn't really do much. I'm not saying it isn't worth a try, just saying I don't think it will work.
Those are hybrid? Huh, didn't know that. I'm surprised that randall doesn't have enough gain for you.
well.. it has enough gain.. its just very very muddy and doesnt sound very good no matter how i EQ it
I'd recommend an EQ pedal then, or possibly a speaker change.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
well my current speakers are celestions in a RA412XC i dunno if thats any good or not. seems to sound aight
your speakers should be fine, i'd be pushing for an eq, an overdrive is used infront of a tube amp to tighten and boost gain, probs wont do heaps for valvestate, how much money do oyu have to spend?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
well i have a boss Metal Core that i got a couple days ago that i could exchange at the music shop i got it from if need be
do you like the sound of your metal core? it's all personal taste really. as for an eq, go try an mxr 10 band eq, they're a really nice eq, heaps of gain for when you decide to get a full tube amp, will set you back a bit though

remember, try before you buy
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
yeah i dont mindthe sound of the ML-2 actually. i dont think id really gain anything by exhanging it for anything. i think ill just stick to my current setup until i can get a full tube amp.

thanks for your advice. much appreciated
No problem mate, keep shredding :P
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q