Do you start with:
A guitar part?
Drum part?
Lyrics?
Or anything else?

I try so hard to write, but whenever I do, it seems either unoriginal or just plain bad.
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
Last edited by mrbean667 at Feb 28, 2009,
Writing music is hard. It takes years to get good at it, but it's always good to practice in order to get better.

I usually start with a guitar riff or chord progression and try to hum a melody over it. Once I've done that, I'll begin to improvise lyrics to get a good flow going and see where it goes from there.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Learn as much theory as possible(Learn the rules). Try composing classical pieces(Use the rules).

That will test you and give you practice for when inspiration comes and you know how to notate and harmonize melodies that you think of. And finally, knowing all of the 'rules' will then allow you to bend and break those rules to create music in your preferred style.
I think every single member here will give you a different answer, but that's no bad thing.

For me, it helps to have an 'idea' for a song. i.e The story I want to tell or the reason for wanting to write. (fallen in love, fallen out of love, hate something, love something etc etc)

Then if I can see it being a fairly mellow, slow song I'll start messing around with some open chords and come up with a nice progression. Once I have that, I'll just start thinking of words, phrases or sentencing WHILST I'm playing the chords. With some practice you should find your words will fit with the chords nicely and you're well on your way to a verse or chorus!

Hope that helps, I'm very new to the writing process also but I find this technique works for me!
Quote by ozzysworld
I think every single member here will give you a different answer, but that's no bad thing.

Very well said. Our different ways to write songs is what makes music sound so unique.
well.. i usually am having a walk. (that's the rhythm) and if i'm inspired, i'll come up with a line of lyrics.
for example. What would i feel like saying right now (based on the emotions, circumstances etc) and together with that line there usually comes a melody (vocals)... it might not be clear, so you have to repeat that line in your head for the next five minutes usually.. then go to the next line, accordig to what the previous one said etc. (the melody is the same usually, or change it)

if the melody doesnt come together with the lyrics, i usually just make something up.. i tried aswell attaching my words to an existing melody, just so they wouldnt get forgotten or whatever, later you develope that existing melody into your own. it works, really

the advantage of this is that you dont have to sit there and work on teh song, really.. most of my good songs were "written" on my way to school, or on my way home.

i've also written some songs based on guitar riffs, but you have a problem when you need to write down a melody for vocals and even teh lyrics could be a problem there.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Last edited by Serjem at Feb 28, 2009,
To make a song, first write a poem that will be the words to the song. If you write the music first it will be harder to fit words in. But its easyer to fit music to words. Dont get unconfident in yourself if you write lyrics. Even if the words sound really stupid they probably arent. As long as it has meaning it will be allright. If you read the lyrics to any song you dont know, it will sound pretty corney too.
I've writen some songs but my first one was hard to finished. I really liked the music but it was hard to make lyrics cuz i had made the music first. If you do end up writing music first and can't think of lyrics, just think about something to sing about and play your song while humming how you would want the singing to go, do that and words will eventually come out with your humming.
Try to pronouce my last name...
Last edited by Shawnzy at Feb 28, 2009,
Cool, thanks a lot, guys.
I try to start with lyrics, but I'll study some advanced theory, as I know most of the basics through 6 years of sax playing.
Now just to transpose it to the guitar...
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
I find myself writing the bass part first then writing everything else above it.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Well for starters you should know what you want the song to be about. (lyrics rough draft) Then a rythm and beat would be a god next step (so drums). After that you should write a couple of drafts of guitar chords, scales, etc that you think would complement the rythm and lyrics (so guitar)
Have a good one,
Phoenix
I feel the song.
don't force it. if it takes a year to write then so be it.
I have never had a song I liked that I sat down and finished forcefully
I have a few songs to this day not finished that I started 3 years ago.
just go back to them every now and then and you never know you may be able to add to it when you come back.
it can start for me as just a poem or guitar riff. sometimes for me it comes from playing things out side of my expertise. I have had times where I just hear a sound like a month ago I dropped a pot of my roommates and I loved the sound so much. I'm still trying to convince him to let me use it as a cymbal in a song.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
I play on the drums a fair bit.

When I do that, I feel something coming on.
For me... I cant write lyrics... I cant sing either so it all good...LOL I am just not good at putting words together...

Mine always start with a guitar riff.... I will play the riff, and put it in GP5 or play it on my looper and just listen to it... and see where my mind wants to go from there.
When I song write, I get the guitar tracks down first because I'm a guitar player. I write lyrics after all the tracks are done. I'm currently trying to add some advanced theory into my writing to add to it. If I were you, I would look up song structure videos, learn songs, improvise to backing tracks, randomly try to come up with riffs, or get a Jazz or classical guitar teacher to help you out with songwriting.

EDIT: learn how to tab/notate and learn YOUR THEORY!
Last edited by The Arsis at Mar 1, 2009,