Page 1 of 3
Ok, I swear I searched about 6 times and couldn't find anything amazingly.
After listening to Gojira's new album, I'm honestly in love with Mario Duplantier's drumming, but I rarely hear anyone talk about anything except Joe's involvement in Gojira.

So, my question to the people of the metal forum. Who are some of your personal favourite musician's who are either cast into the shadow of other members of their band OR just plain underrated musicians in bands no one has heard of.

Please try and keep in mind other people's opinions. Just because you're in love with band X's guitarist, doesn't mean that everyone else MUST have heard of him, thus he's overrated, but by the same token, don't go mentioning people like Mike Portnoy or Michael Romeo just because "no1 at my skool nos tehm".

I look forward to your answers
~Magero~
Why is this in the metal forum specifically?
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
I didnt know metal was the only genre with underrated musicians.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
It isn't.

He is asking about under-rated metal musicians.

What is so hard to understand about that?
Proscriptor from Absu. I don't think I ever see him mentioned in top drummer categories. Noteworthy that he does the vocals simultaneously too.

He also auditioned for Slayer. But a Mr. Lombardo pushed him from that spot.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
I do agree with you on Mario's drumming for Gojira, he is very talented at playing all of the odd rhythms and can maintain a fairly fast pace, and both of those qualities are demonstrated exceptionally in "Remembrance."

I will also say though, that anybody in Mastodon who's not Brann Dailor is great at what they do, which isn't to say Brann is bad, he's not, but I feel like he just overshadows everyone by a bit.

Peter Theobalds and Peter Benjamin both do (did) exceptional jobs playing bass for Akercocke, really not much more to say.
Andy LaRocque and Mike Wead from King Diamond. Some of the best riffs and solos ever, but nobody ever mentions them. Andy is mentioned a couple of times whenever Death comes up, but that's it.

Also, screw you all, but Martin Maurais from Kataklysm is an insane drummer, triggers or otherwise.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
The guitarist from Orphaned Land, Yossi "Sassi" Saharon
I think he is a really good guitarist..
Quote by Firenze
Andy LaRocque and Mike Wead from King Diamond. Some of the best riffs and solos ever, but nobody ever mentions them. Andy is mentioned a couple of times whenever Death comes up, but that's it.

Also, screw you all, but Martin Maurais from Kataklysm is an insane drummer, triggers or otherwise.

Yeah, the king always steals the limelight.
Thomen "The Omen" Stauch doesn't get enough credit for his amazing drumming
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Dyer's Eve
Proscriptor from Absu. I don't think I ever see him mentioned in top drummer categories. Noteworthy that he does the vocals simultaneously too.

He also auditioned for Slayer. But a Mr. Lombardo pushed him from that spot.

Proscriptor also claimed that Slayer werent ready to accept his musical direction that he planned to bring to the band.... Id love to know what reeeeeaaaaaaaly happened.

But yes, amazing musician.

Underrated.....Id have to say Bob Vigna from Immolation, more people really need to be aware of his genius riffs and solos.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
^ True, I guess, but he's still far from underrated. He's in f*cking Slayer for God's sake.

I don't really hear alot of people talking about Gary Holt and Lee Atlus, especially Lee. Both are excellent thrash musicians, probably two of the best.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
^ I still need that album. How does it compare to Tempo Of The Damned and Exibit A?
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Probably not gonna get a lot of agreeance from anyone, but here it goes.

Sam Totman - Dragonforce

Everytime I hear the word Dragonforce in a sentence it always ends up with Herman Li and the end of it.

Although every solo it's like:

Herman: Some crazy sweep stuff
Sam: Really cool melodic stuff
Both: Hybrid of both

I bet Sam can shred at like 250bpm or something, he's just not showing it and letting Herman Li do all the fast stuff.
^^Better. Production isn't as good as Exhibit, but the riffs are better and the songs are catchier. Yes, catchier. But still thrashy and heavy.

^Sam is actually really sloppy. Like, really sloppy. Like, DragonForce levels of sloppy
Herman is tight as, but Sam is just... well, what you'd expect.
Lot's of Japanese Musicians. Syu from Galneryus, Hizaki and Teru from Versailles, Circuit V. Panther and Anchang from Sex Machineguns.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by Magero
^^Better. Production isn't as good as Exhibit, but the riffs are better and the songs are catchier. Yes, catchier. But still thrashy and heavy.

^Sam is actually really sloppy. Like, really sloppy. Like, DragonForce levels of sloppy
Herman is tight as, but Sam is just... well, what you'd expect.

Meh, although all Dragonforce have going for them is just cool video game noises.

Still... I love them. If you can accept their lyrics for a joke like nobody does then you can appreciate them.

Was gonna post this, but wasn't sure if you would classify Racer X as "metal"

But Bruce Bouillet. Hearing him on scarified with paul gilbert... Jeez, no idea why I don't hear much of him.
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!

I don't really hear alot of people talking about Gary Holt and Lee Atlus, especially Lee. Both are excellent thrash musicians, probably two of the best.

+ many.
Matt Pike and Des Kensel from HoF.

Also, about Mario Duplantier, he really decided to step up his game to this degree only on Way Of All Flesh. He's nowhere near this active on The Link or FMTS.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Stranglehold
Proscriptor also claimed that Slayer werent ready to accept his musical direction that he planned to bring to the band.... Id love to know what reeeeeaaaaaaaly happened.

But yes, amazing musician.

Underrated.....Id have to say Bob Vigna from Immolation, more people really need to be aware of his genius riffs and solos.

I heard it was actually because he was too extreme. By that I mean he broke all the cymbals on the drum kit.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Victor Smolski, he's an amazing guitarist and no one ever says boo about him.

I also agree on Hanneman, I think he's a much better song writer than King.
Quote by seekmetal
A bit obvious but Jeff Hanneman from Slayer, everyone is always Kerry this or Kerry that, Jeff's solos, songs and riffs are all better than King's.

Its because he's bald, has tatoo's and a big mouth in comparison to Jeff's normality.
Quote by tehmetulz
Nah, the drummer for DF is actually pretty good though.

Wait a minute, if Sam's underrated, Vadim's underrated, and Dave's underrated, whilst Herman is tight (and Fred's just generally awesome because he does live guitar solos/evil vocals), then how come DragonForce are OVERrated?

Dammit ZP!

Seriously though, DF are overrated by the Guitar Hero lot, which has led to a lot of metalheads hating them, so now they're overrated by one community, but underrated by the other. It's an odd mix.
Quote by Cianyx
The guitarist from Orphaned Land, Yossi "Sassi" Saharon
I think he is a really good guitarist..

I agree. Listen to the song The Storm Still Rages Inside and be blown away!
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
I've always thought that the drummer of The Absence was really underrated. It's probably due to the fact that they haven't really taken off yet, but his drumming is pretty spectacular. He really knows how to support the band.

Exhibit A, mutha****as
i have to say Chuck Schuldiner although he does get some acknowledgment as a good musician he deserves a lot more, seriously in my opinion he should be up there with the metal gods, hes an outstanding guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and released the first realy significant death metal album
you are what you is
Yanic Bercier or anyone from quo vadis really.... arie itman played some amazingly good sounding stuff
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by Kepulix
Thomen "The Omen" Stauch doesn't get enough credit for his amazing drumming

Blasphemy! Thomen gets plenty of praise from BG fans. All of it well deserved. His drumming never faltered, not during the speed metal albums nor during ANATO. The technicality of his drumming on that particular album is astonishing.
Quote by Magero
don't go mentioning people like Mike Portnoy or Michael Romeo just because "no1 at my skool nos tehm".

Quote by mergapoot
i have to say Chuck Schuldiner although he does get some acknowledgment as a good musician he deserves a lot more, seriously in my opinion he should be up there with the metal gods, hes an outstanding guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and released the first realy significant death metal album

Read.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Jed Simon from Strapping and Zimmer's Hole, and some other thrash band I can't remember.

He's tight as FUKK, but is obviously overshadowed by Dev's virtuosity.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Page 1 of 3