i play an epiphone 58 korina explorer.
it has a tune-o-matic bridge. i have been playing this for about a year now,i have had other guitars in the past, as i have been playing for several years, but i would really like to get a whammy bar.
could anyone give some advice on purcasing one, i assume i am going to have to buy a whole whammy bar bridge set, but will it have to be a through body bridge?
tune-o-matic bridge, and how much i should expect to pay for a proper tech to install it for me?
also, if anyone knows of any sets that would look good on this guitar (mine is same colour as in pic) then that would be great

help would be much appreciated

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Last edited by Giant Tool at Feb 28, 2009,
That isn't a floating bridge, that's a tune-o-matic bridge. A floating bridge is a floyd rose style bridge.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
aren't Korina ones with the natural finish?

I'm sure you'd have to have some routing done, depending on which trem you went for

for stuff like Bigsby (more suited to country/blues/clean stuff) not much would have to be done, but i wouldn't suggest a bigsby on an explorer, i assume you're looking at locking trems like floyd rose etc etc, in which case some work will have to be done, IE, body routing, through body, and i'm sure you'd have one or two issues with tuning.

EDIT: I See you're from norfolk, every year I'm down at great yarmouth, can't get enough of that place!

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by TheFly_1990 at Feb 28, 2009,
oh, i was told it was a floating bridge by someone,
i'll change it, as you can tell i'm not hugely knowledgable on guitar parts

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by gavz_verdikt

Quote by TheFly_1990
aren't Korina ones with the natural finish?

They came in natural and black.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Wouldn't it be really expensive installing a floyd rose on it? Almost as expensive as the guitar? I would suggest you buy another guitar. Besides, Explorers shouldn't have floating trems!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by BlisteringDDj
Wouldn't it be really expensive installing a floyd rose on it? Almost as expensive as the guitar? I would suggest you buy another guitar. Besides, Explorers shouldn't have floating trems!

My Thoughts exactly Mr.DDj!

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
i have found this
http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Epiphone/PR/Goth-Explorer-large.jpg
that is the sort of thing i'm going for, so it must be possible. i do have a slightly different guitar, mine is same as pic at top,

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by gavz_verdikt

Of course it's possible, but with all the hardware that needs to go in, and all the wood that has to be carved, the adjustments, fixing of nut, etc. It will cost you.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
i'm starting to think it might not be worth the cost, can anyone give me an estimate,
if it's gonna be too pricey i'll have to make do without one

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by gavz_verdikt

go for a stets bar
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Personally I'd just get something like a Les Trem or what this bloke said. ^
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
...or a Kahler...? They don't require as much routing. A Stetsbar and a Les Trem will not have anywhere near the range that a Floyd or Kahler has. Plus, none of them have any sort of reliable reputation (meaning I've never really heard from knowledgeable guitarists who have had experience with them) and are pretty atrocious to look at.
khalers are crap^

and that would cost just as much to have a floy put on
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I'm sorry to sound like an ass. But if you didn't understand the difference between a tom and a bridge that can have a tremelo arm, then I'd suggest you either READ alot more of the guides here and on the internets OR take it to a pro to get it done OR just leave it alone.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by rancidryan
khalers are crap^

No. You're crap! What the hell are you talking about?

Also, it may cost the same, but it's less invasive.
Quote by sesstreets
I'm sorry to sound like an ass. But if you didn't understand the difference between a tom and a bridge that can have a tremelo arm...
mission accomplished.

TS, if you don't want to do routing, keep the TOM and replace the tailstop with a Stetsbar, Les Trem, Bigsby, or a replica of the Maestro. They all work with a TOM and are surface mounted.

If you don't mind routing, get rid of the TOM and put in a Floyd.

NONE of these options are cheap, but the surface mount vibrato tailpieces are very easy.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
mission accomplished.

TS, if you don't want to do routing, keep the TOM and replace the tailstop with a Stetsbar, Les Trem, Bigsby, or a replica of the Maestro. They all work with a TOM and are surface mounted.

If you don't mind routing, get rid of the TOM and put in a Floyd.

NONE of these options are cheap, but the surface mount vibrato tailpieces are very easy.

+1

OP:

I like Bigsby trems, but everyone has their favorites. If you want a bone-fide floating trem, it's much more cost-effective to buy a guitar with one already installed, but if you're keen on doing some routing, there's no reason you can't do it yourself. Paying someone to do it for you doesn't sound like any fun, and can be pretty pricey.

You can get a guitar with a floating trem for relatively little these days, although the quality of the guitar/trem is usually questionable. If you don't go nuts, mid-level Ibanez guitars have the Edge III bridge, which, though it isn't up to OFR or Gotoh lic. standards in my opinion, is well-designed and certainly gets the job done.

But I still think the best option for a vibrato would be a Bigsby. It might as well have been designed for Gibson-style guitars, what with the 12" radius and all. Plus it's a simple retrofit and sounds groovy.

Good luck! Either way, post pics.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer