Hey
The thing in theory i'm most confused about is knowing what to scale to use and when. Is there any way of knowing this?? Am i right in saying that you can use the penatonic scale over any major or minor chord sequence? And how do i know, for example, when to use a harmonic minor scale or blues scale ???
Please help!!!!!!!!!
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
i have the same problem i know all 5 positions of the e minor pentatonic scale i can blaze through and improvise with it aswell i just dont know what to learn next i need a scale the doesnt sound to cliche blues rock
My Gear

Guitars: Jackson DK2t ,
Amp: peavey valvking royal 8 - 5 watt combo
Effects: Zoom g2.1u , Line 6 pod xt
This is too bold of a topic to be answered by any mere mortal. It's as if you're asking for information from the gods over the internet.

But wait. Hundreds of people have already spent their time organizing the same information that you seek and they even submitted it all to this site. That is hundreds of people spending hours each on things that you seem oblivious to!

If only they made a FAQ and posted it in a convenient place. I think I'll suggest it in the MT suggestions sticky right below the new thread button that I was lucky to spot considering I was only given two eyes and wasn't looking for it.

A quick afterthought of course: I click on these topics to help not to be an asshole in. Please read topics you are interested in right there in the Music Theory FAQ and bring up some more specific questions for us. This is just to help you 'cause if someone answers this question about scales you either wont understand it or you will and you will have another question for us that will also be answered in the Music Theory FAQ.
Last edited by Kaos_00 at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by familybucket
Hey
The thing in theory i'm most confused about is knowing what to scale to use and when. Is there any way of knowing this?? Am i right in saying that you can use the penatonic scale over any major or minor chord sequence? And how do i know, for example, when to use a harmonic minor scale or blues scale ???
Please help!!!!!!!!!

It's simple, you use a scale when you want the sound the intervals of that scale provides over whatever chord progression you have.

If you don't know what the scale is going to sound like then you don't know it well enough.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
there is no real general rule, it is all about what you are trying to achieve.
As long as you are playing in the right key i.e aminor pentatonic over something in C or Aminor etc. etc.
Then whatever you play technically should "work"
There is no short trick I can say or tell you, it's something which used to baffle me when I started played 8 years ago.
It is just a case of practising your phrasing, and learning almost to the extent of muscle memory, when to use certain notes to remove the "cliche" - a lot of un cliche solos are still pentatonics - or when to flatten, or drop certain notes of a scale.

I take the point about pentatonics, and see what you mean about the cliche element...but do not dismiss them, they form the fundamental to most music.
To further you're learning try some of "the modes" these are used by many of the "shredders" or "heroes" and are based usually on culturally different scales, however when blended with the pentatonics they add a nice diversity to a phrase.

Just practice, it does take months -if not years to be comfortable, and even after years it is a mistake to consider yourself comfortable, should always be learning more.