hey guys,

my mate would like to borrow my blues deluxe to amplify his violin at a gig, but i'm not sure if a guitar amp is suitable for the violin. can it damage the speaker or will the amp be fine ?

thanks
Hmm... I don't know really... but I think it shouldn't do damage to the amp. Acoustic guitars don't do damage to an electric-guitar-amp either. The only thing I can say, is that it would surely sound horrible

In my band, we plug the violin into the PA and it works really fine.
i imagine itll be fine

AFAIK only a bass will break a speaker and theres no way a violin will go lower than that
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Yea, it's right! The frequency of a bass is too low. But a violin should be no problem.
Nah its fine i do it all the time with my electric violin. When you start using your whammy and delay and distortion things start to get really interesting! :p
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by nugiboy
When you start using your whammy and delay and distortion things start to get really interesting! :p

WANT!
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I saw a guy playing an electric violin at GC a few weeks ago, it should work fine.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Guitar amps will work fine for a violin but its recommended that you use a keyboard amp or the like to accommodate a violins range but if its only a 4 string electric violin it should be fine some high-range stuff wont sound as pretty... i want a 7 string fretted vypr by woodviolins...
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
We DI'd violin into the PA for gigs but at jam nights (anyone do them anymore?) it went through a Twin Reverb as clean as it could go with a bit of reverb on. Violinist got the bug and bought himself a delay, cry-baby and phaser. That started us on using it for a lead on Born to be Wild which was a bit different.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x