I have an Ibanez gsr190 and I mostly use the P pickup with maybe a little of the J. I'm still trying to learn slap (new bassist) and was wondering if you can still get good slap tones out of a P bass style sound.

And also, I was wondering if, based on my style of play I should continue using P/J basses or switch to J or P. I like to play a lot of rock, ska and alternative style, with a little jazz here and there.
Last edited by dudeman2690 at Feb 28, 2009,
Well, i could get a good slap sound with a fender american P bass, thruogh an ebs combo. It sounded really nice. But i still find it easier to slap on a jazz bass, so maybe look into them.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Well, i could get a good slap sound with a fender american P bass, thruogh an ebs combo. It sounded really nice. But i still find it easier to slap on a jazz bass, so maybe look into them.

Well since mine is a P/J I could switch to the J pickup, would that help in gaining better tone?
you can use any style of pickup for any style of music, there's not really a better pickup for different styles just prefered pickups, most people prefer to use a jazz bass or a musicman style setup for slap. and rock, ska adn alt are genres that are wide open for style of instrument.

bass works differently to guitar. with guitar humbuckers are better for metal and all that but with bass it doesn't matter as much if at all. you go with what you prefer the sound of. i will always take a jazz bass style for anything because i love the tones you can get from a jazz bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
P\J bass will naturally and generally sound more like a p bass. ! single coil isnt going to have as greater affect as two.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^ What he said...It's because of the p-pickup's midrange focus. Scoop it a bit and boost the lows, and you're good.
Nope, no sig here.
I say J basses cause of the snappier sound. Though most people don't want a lot of mids in their slap tone, so some would say P Bass. I prefer Jazz basses.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
I really like a P bass for slap.

its chunkay and delicious!

Its a different slap tone but its still quite good.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"