Page 1 of 2
Would you rather spend your time getting a good education where there would be little to no time (and energy) for you to play your instrument, or would you rather have an average (but not great) job where you would have at least 4 hours a day or more to play your instrument? And, with the job you would have time and energy to gig and have band practices. So which would you pick and why? You can't pick both.
What if you were studying in advance music?

/has to make it complicated

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
2nd. i'd hate to be one of the majority whose life revolves around their work. that is truly sad. imo, there is so much to life that you may as well walk with your eyes shut if you take the first option.
still, money matters more to some
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Definitely the second, though school is doing a good job at keeping me away from anything slightly enjoyable at the moment.
By education I was referring to really academic subjects like Law or such, which would takes loads of time and energy, get you a good job and money...but leave you no time to play your instruments.
2nd
then id sell out stadium tours and have iron maiden support us

ok its rather unlikely
obviously the second option is the best. plus u can grow pot in ur basement for extra income. that takes almost no time out of your day.
i always come to UG for a tab, but get sucked into the pit

[SoWrongItsMatt]Have you tried, "Sex on fire?"

[[x]Huffy[x]]Either way I'm gonna be too stoned to care.

what he said.^

i love qotsa

mymusic
enjoy it.
They both sound like crap options to me.

Guitar is a hobby to me, I don't want to spend half my life doing solely that as much as I don't want to spend every waking minute working.
Quote by a6l6e6x1
2nd
then id sell out stadium tours and have iron maiden support us

ok its rather unlikely
When was the last time Iron Maiden supported anyone?
Well i'm a pretty lousy student, a pretty lousy guitar player, and i have a pretty lousy job. so what i do is spend my day online listening to people that CAN play
I've done both, they're equally easy to do if you put yourself up to it. Just gotta make time.
E-F-F-E-C-T... A smooth operator operating correctly
Education. I'm planning on being a music producer so education is needed for what I wanna do.
NOPE.
Quote by metaldud536
wtf bro. why you gotta go and make things so complicated?

I always imagine you to be a donkey

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
both options are stupid. who's to say you can't have a good education but still play guitar for 4 hours a day?
Quote by GirlGerms
Would you rather spend your time getting a good education where there would be little to no time (and energy) for you to play your instrument, or would you rather have an average (but not great) job where you would have at least 4 hours a day or more to play your instrument? And, with the job you would have time and energy to gig and have band practices. So which would you pick and why? You can't pick both.

Good job for a few years to get money, quit, devote all time to guitar.
But... in real life, you can pick both.
I'm glad we live in real life and not in the life in your head
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Domino
But... in real life, you can pick both.
I'm glad we live in real life and not in the life in your head

Seconded.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by CoreysMonster
both options are stupid. who's to say you can't have a good education but still play guitar for 4 hours a day?

yeah you should be a little more specific with what education it is you'd be looking for...and you should have made a poll.
Quote by stratdud39
yeah you should be a little more specific with what education it is you'd be looking for...and you should have made a poll.

I mean, obviously you shouldn't NOT get an education because you want to play guitar, but there's a big difference between getting an education in business or Bio-Chemistry.
I'm currently studing psychology but still manage to get 5-8 hours practice in a day
I even fit it around work
And I'm learning Japanese

So you can do both
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by CoreysMonster
I mean, obviously you shouldn't NOT get an education because you want to play guitar, but there's a big difference between getting an education in business or Bio-Chemistry.

But... you can get the education and go back to your musical ways when your done. As long as you live with people who don't mind noise, its not a problem
(I live with people who do mind noise... it is a problem)
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by GirlGerms

People that could possibly have a future as a musician have this questions to contend with. I am university doing a degree, What should I have done? Gone to a music school like BIMM instead.

I chose education, so I at least have a degree so I am more employable for a better higher paid job.

But it is tough balancing each. Most of the best guitarists ever had poor schooling or dropped out very early.
Education without a shadow of a doubt.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Second one, money doesn't equal happiness, and I would much prefer to live my life doing what I like to do, then something I don't really like that much.
Quote by The_Shape
Second one, money doesn't equal happiness, and I would much prefer to live my life doing what I like to do, then something I don't really like that much.

I always lol when I read posts like this, wait until you realise how the real world works, then try and say again if money matters or not.
OR

You can learn to be organized and not procrastinate, that way you'll have time for school work and time to play music.
Quote by S)E-Javelin
OR

You can learn to be organized and not procrastinate, that way you'll have time for school work and time to play music.

agreed

but thats a special skill few posses haha
Quote by The_Shape

Haha.

Better get used to disappointment then.

EDIT: and starvation

Quote by S)E-Javelin
OR

Yeah. It's not that hard, really.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by The_Shape

Good luck with that man, I'm going to go back to my food that costs money and my house that costs money and play my guitar that costs money while I sit on my bed that costs money.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by The_Shape

Quote by CoreysMonster
I always lol when I read posts like this, wait until you realise how the real world works, then try and say again if money matters or not.

Lol for reals....

I'm 19, in college, and everything paid for by my parents and I've already gotten my wake up call in life. It sounds easy ... "as long as I do what I love, I'll be satified", no idiots.

Try being 30, having a ****ty job that pays $15 an hour, yea that sounds sweet now when you've got your parents to pay for the roof that you live under and food on the table. but you're not gonna live with your parents forever. Without a college degree, try working 9-5 (if you're lucky to get off at 5) doing labor, making $10-$15 an hour, then having a big chunk of it going to taxes, then you gotta pay for food, rent, car, gas, insurance, bills (electricity, water, TV, internet).....what are you gonna be left with after that?

yea I know a lot of you think you'll make it big. Well of course, you're all like 17-25 years old, thats when everybody feels like they're invincible, that they can do anything. But ask yourself, HOW MANY MUSICIANS there have "made it" out of all the ones trying? Then ask yourself, what the hell are you gonna do if you don't get rich from playing music? Cause there are VERY FEW out there who aren't known and are still managing to make a GOOD living from playing music.

I don't know about you guys, I'm not planning on taking that big of a risk with my life. I'd rather go through college, get a degree and a secure job and thats not even to say that I won't have time to play music? Hell, I plan on going to med school and hopefully becoming a surgeon and I still plan on playing music by then.

Putting music before education is a HUGE MISTAKE and I guarantee that most of you who skip education for music will end up regret it BIG TIME.
Last edited by S)E-Javelin at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Good luck with that man, I'm going to go back to my food that costs money and my house that costs money and play my guitar that costs money while I sit on my bed that costs money.

The second option was an average job with 4 hours to play guitar. An average job would probably provide enough for the necessities, (varying on the amount of hours worked).
Quote by The_Shape
The second option was an average job with 4 hours to play guitar. An average job would probably provide enough for the necessities, (varying on the amount of hours worked).

Whats an average job? Are you talking with or without a college degree?
Quote by freedoms_stain
They both sound like crap options to me.

Guitar is a hobby to me, I don't want to spend half my life doing solely that as much as I don't want to spend every waking minute working.?

Plus f*cking 1. Education is great either way. It doesn't even guarantee you a "good job" but at least you'll come out knowing more than you did before.
Quote by The_Shape

You do realize that I work an average job and don't have that much free time in the day, right? If I was cooking my own meals, which I'm not thanks to my more than wonderful parents, I'd have even less time than I already do...I mean, shit, I'm seriously pushing my luck with getting up tomorrow for work right now and it's not even late compared to what I used to do in college...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I'm focusing on my education now. I play guitar for an hour or two on school days but then if I get a break, I usually start cramming in a ton of music theory and playing.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Page 1 of 2