Well I recently got into a new band and they insist on me "perfecting" my tone.
We play Post-Hardcore kinda, but really melodic.. i duno for sure our own genre.
So keep in mind that I'm basing this around a high gain tone.

This is my equipment so far:

Peavey 5150 head
Schecter Gryphon guitar
Zoom Multi-Effects Processcor
Peavey Footswitch

Now my band tells me that their old guitarist used an effects rack and a pedal board.
I dont even use pedals besides my Zoom. (Which I actually use alot)

I am going to start building a pedal board soon, and this is what I'm going to include:

*Peavey Footswitch
*MXR 10-Band EQ
*BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal
*MXR Carbon Copy Delay
*Boss CH-1 Chorus Pedal

But I don't even know what an effects rack is..
And if I use this pedal board, does that mean I have to play on the 5150's clean channel? Im soooo confused about all this.
Last edited by Th3_Failsafe at Feb 28, 2009,
I use a B-52 half stack, I run a BBE SM, MXR 10 band EQ and a Boss Noise Suppressor through my effects loop. If you try that first that will make your amp sound like it cost thousands more. As for high gain try the boss metal core distortion pedal or the newer metal zone, or you may want to try the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff.
rack = rich people
pedalbaord= poor people

i cant afford rack gear myself, so i just buy stompboxes, cheaper and does the same thing
ive got 14 pedals on my board now lol
and a mxr kfk 10 band eq and boss ns-2 in the effects loop of course
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I cant afford to buy a rack switching system and all that fancy ****. So I grab myself a board. If you've got the cash, go rack. IF you don't **** it. get a board

Mind you - Your pedalboard selection sounds a bit weak IMHO
*Boss GE-7 EQ- Don't get this. Bypass is crap. MXR 10 band is better
*BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal. Don't get this. Thing is, It really just scoops the crap out of your sound, it adds layers, its not like a really amazing superbox.... it doesn't have true bypass or a good buffer, so you put in your chain, and it degrades your signal, so you turn it up to get a better sound but if you compare it to being in and out of your chain, all it does is scoop.
*MXR Carbon Copy Delay- This is a geniunely good delay pedal
*Boss CH-1 Chorus Pedal- This is a geniuinely awful chorus pedal. Go for an EHX small clone.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I cant afford to buy a rack switching system and all that fancy ****. So I grab myself a board. If you've got the cash, go rack. IF you don't **** it. get a board

Mind you - Your pedalboard selection sounds a bit weak IMHO
*Boss GE-7 EQ- Don't get this. Bypass is crap. MXR 10 band is better
*BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal. Don't get this. Thing is, It really just scoops the crap out of your sound, it adds layers, its not like a really amazing superbox.... it doesn't have true bypass or a good buffer, so you put in your chain, and it degrades your signal, so you turn it up to get a better sound but if you compare it to being in and out of your chain, all it does is scoop.
*MXR Carbon Copy Delay- This is a geniunely good delay pedal
*Boss CH-1 Chorus Pedal- This is a geniuinely awful chorus pedal. Go for an EHX small clone.

Kind of pretty much what I was going to say. Except I don't know much about the Sonic Maximizer, except that everyone, ever, has told me that its a waste. :P

But this guy knows his stuff.

+1
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
ch1 is pretty nasty imo. i hate it. i'd rather have a CE-5 any day. way better. or a CE-2 if you can find it. CE-2 i think is true bypass so it doesnt color tone.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
For delay, the Carbon Copy is good but it only has 600 ms max which is fine if you just want something to make your leads sound prettier but sucks for any sort of experimentation beyond slapback delay.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've never even used my FX loop i don't even know what it's for.
I just plug the Zoom into the amp. I dont really understand how pedal boards work.
I'm not new at guitar at all, I've usualy just played straight through the amp without effects for shows.

Something ive never understood is:
If im playing live and im playing just my usualy high gain lead tone, and we go into a breakdown, then coming out of the breakdown i want to switch to a clean/chorus tone. What do i do? Do i have to switch to the amp's clean channel then turn on the chorus pedal? It seems like it would take way too long.

How does the effects loop work? i dont get how to use a pedal thats in the loop rather than one thats just into the amp

i've never worried about this stuff till now and im soo pissed of and confused
Last edited by Th3_Failsafe at Feb 28, 2009,
Well, as far as time spent on hitting the two switches goes, you can always just place them closer together on the pedalboard... and a lot of people won't notice if you've got your chorus pedal on for say, a second before the clean part... that way you have enough time to hit the footswitch to change the channel. Lol, I'm not really sure.
OR you could be a genius and get a piece of wood that covers the length of the two switches... Then hit that down when you want to activate/deactivate both. ;D

It sounds like you need to read the stickies.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.