So my brother plays drums, and alot of times my band just has practices at my house, because I have all my guitar stuff here, and that means I wouldn't have to lug all my gear to my drummer's house. Within the past couple of weeks, my brother has grown angry with my drummer for adjusting his hi-hats and his rack toms, so my brother said everytime we have a practice at our house, and my drummer uses his drum set, he wants $5.

I have found this ridiculous, because he's my brother. On occassions where we have refused to pay him, he just starts be a bitch and tells our mom. And my mom says the issue of me paying him is between the two of us, even though she thinks it's wrong. So my drummer refuses to pay my brother, and that means I'm left to pay him so there are no troubles. Is this right of my brother to do? Keep in mind, my brother is 13 and I am 16.
Get your drummer to put the kit back the way it was afterwards?
Hello, mother leopard. I have your cub. You must protect her, but that will be expensive. 10,000 cola nuts, wrapped in brown paper. Midnight, behind the box. I'll be the hyena, you'll see.
i have the same situation, only i tell my brother to deal with it because i dont care and now he leaves me alone. lol
Its your brothers drum set, he doesnt have to let you use them. People are funny with their instruments, some dont like others touching them and I understand that.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
It belongs to your brother, so it's up to him what he does with it, and he doesn't HAVE to let you guys use it at all. Think of it in two ways -

1. Someone comes to your house while you're doing whatever, and, without saying word one to you, goes into your basement, grabs your guitars, re-tunes them, and changes all the tone settings on your amps to what they like. Then they finish, leave it as is, and leave. That's okay with you?

2. Don't complain about 'lugging' an amp, a guitar, and a couple pedals when a drummer has to take, on average, three toms, a hi hat, a crash, a ride, a snare, a kick (or two), three pedals, a frame, sticks, heads, etc. to practice each time. In almost every band I've ever been in, it was the responsibility of the rest of the band to get to the drummer's house for that reason.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
go to your drummers house you lazy piece of ****
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
go to your drummers house you lazy piece of ****

I vote this. Stop being a girl and respect your brother's gear. Just because he is 13 doesn't mean you can do whatever the hell you want with his stuff.
Quote by Snapple
Its your brothers drum set, he doesnt have to let you use them. People are funny with their instruments, some dont like others touching them and I understand that.

+1 all the way. Ive only let 2 people ever hold my guitar lol (brother and my guitar teacher). Ask your brother if your drummer puts everything back the way it was, if thatd be okay.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Yeah, I agree with strat0blaster. Drummers definitely have to carry more than a guitarist. If you don't want to carry your amps around (I'm assuming that you have a stack of sorts or else you're just a lazy ****) get a small practice amp and leave it at his house. Or just put the drums back the way they were before.
$5 rent for a drum kit?

You're doing pretty damn well.

You've only two options.

1) Someone in the band donates their gear and you practice at theirs.

2) You get someone else to lend you their gear, and you might have to pay for it.

Tough it up and move your stuff to your drummer's house, or pay the money between the band.
Quote by Lets_Get_Rockin
he's younger. grow some balls and tell him to stfu lol

Hahaha. You're kind of being a dick, but this made me laugh.

Also, to the topic starter, do you not have 5 ****ing dollars? Like seriously, I assum that you have some kind of a job, so what the hell is five dollars anyway?
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Tell your drummer to put the drum kit back the way he found it. I know I'd be pissed if someone came and re-tuned my guitar.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
$5 is worth the effort it would take to move all your gear each practice to the drummers house. I think it's a good deal.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
I would think as a guitar player, you would familiar with the concept of motor memory. a drummer adjusts over time to the spacing and angles of everything on his kit. I know if i move my ride cymbal even a fraction of an inch, it completely ****s up my playing. I would say your brother is perfectly entitled to make you pay for usage of his kit. Because you can never get it set up exactly the same way again, so he is essentially having to adjust to a brand new setup every time he undoes your drummer's damage. That would be like him raising the string height on your guitar. Sure, you may be able to put it back down close to the original height, but it will still feel awkward playing it because the strings won't be back to the EXACT height you had them.
Quote by Second Rate
I would think as a guitar player, you would familiar with the concept of motor memory. a drummer adjusts over time to the spacing and angles of everything on his kit. I know if i move my ride cymbal even a fraction of an inch, it completely ****s up my playing. I would say your brother is perfectly entitled to make you pay for usage of his kit. Because you can never get it set up exactly the same way again, so he is essentially having to adjust to a brand new setup every time he undoes your drummer's damage. That would be like him raising the string height on your guitar. Sure, you may be able to put it back down close to the original height, but it will still feel awkward playing it because the strings won't be back to the EXACT height you had them.

this, besides, i have my basment set up with everything in it, so the only person whho needs to carry anything to my house is a basssist...luckily we have no bassist.
lol
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Meh. I was on the other side of this equation. My little brother's band practiced at our house. The drummer brought his own cymbals and sticks, and agreed to pay for any broken heads. It takes roughly 15 seconds to set my toms back to where I like them, so why be a dick? You tend to get better results when you're cool to people.
Quote by Second Rate

My god, I hope this drummer you speak of never has to play a live show. That would be the end of the world.
Quote by TheMarsClyro
Get your drummer to put the kit back the way it was afterwards?

yeah, if it's some kind of decent set it should have memory locks.

and if there isn't any; simply buy some. They're like 2$ each TOPS
You like it
I'd say offer him $2. Better than nothing.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Your brother is being perfectly fair. To start with there is wear and tear on his kit (c'mon, it's an instrument that is played by hitting it with two wooden sticks, there will be wear and tear, especialy on the skins) and if your drummer was to hire a kit from anywhere else it'd cost him a damn sight more money than $5.
Look at it from your brother's point of view. He lends you his kit, it gets extra wear and tear and he has to spend time putting it all back just as he likes it every time you use it, what exactly does he get out of the deal?
Are you saying he shouldn't get anything out of the deal just because he's your brother? But you're his brother too and you seem to be getting everything out of the deal at the moment.
Shouldn't you therefore be giving your brother the money because he's your brother?

The easiest solution? Take your amps and set them up along with your drummer's kit somewhere where you can also store your gear, that way you ain't having to transport your gear all the time, your drummer can play his own kit, (which will be good for him) your brother isn't having to put up with you guys wearing his kit out and altering stuff and you don't have to fork out $5 for drum kit hire charges.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by messiah01
So my brother plays drums, and alot of times my band just has practices at my house, because I have all my guitar stuff here, and that means I wouldn't have to lug all my gear to my drummer's house. Within the past couple of weeks, my brother has grown angry with my drummer for adjusting his hi-hats and his rack toms, so my brother said everytime we have a practice at our house, and my drummer uses his drum set, he wants $5.

I have found this ridiculous, because he's my brother. On occassions where we have refused to pay him, he just starts be a bitch and tells our mom. And my mom says the issue of me paying him is between the two of us, even though she thinks it's wrong. So my drummer refuses to pay my brother, and that means I'm left to pay him so there are no troubles. Is this right of my brother to do? Keep in mind, my brother is 13 and I am 16.

So, you wouldn't have any problems letting your brother's friends play your guitar and amp - changing them to fit their own preferences and then leaving them that way for you to change back then...right?

Damn kids these days...
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
To be honest, $5 is letting you off lightly. I for one would be asking for more like (the equivalent of) $30.
404: Sig not found.
What is all this crap? Just get him to agree to use his own cymbals and pay for any part he breaks. Why does everyone want to be a dick? Musical instruments are meant to be played, and maybe a few years down this guy will remember you for a simple act of common decency and not for trying to squeeze a few bucks out of him.
Quote by Second Rate

I think you're exaggerating just a smidge, Jethro.
If you were good, you could play even if it was "a fraction of an inch" difference.
You're gonna be in a world of torture if you have to rely on it being in the exact same place all the time, because if you're gonna play shows, you'll have to move it.
Hell, I can play on any guitar no matter what the string height is; I don't have to rely on it being the EXACT height as mine.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I think you're exaggerating just a smidge, Jethro.
If you were good, you could play even if it was "a fraction of an inch" difference.
You're gonna be in a world of torture if you have to rely on it being in the exact same place all the time, because if you're gonna play shows, you'll have to move it.
Hell, I can play on any guitar no matter what the string height is; I don't have to rely on it being the EXACT height as mine.

I'd agree with that.
My own drummer is left handed, but I have a mate who occasionaly jams with us who's right handed and plays our drummer's left handed setup without much of a problem.

But then, I don't suppose someone like him is the norm.
Motor memory does seem to have a lot to do with it and I know that most drummers prefer their kit to be set up a cirtain way because of it, but I agree it's not generaly required that a kit be set up as 'fraction of an inch' exactly the same way every time.
It's your brother's kit, he can do what the hell he likes. What if your drummer had bad technique and was wrecking the skins every time he played it? Your brother may be young but it's still his property. You should be talking to your mother about this, not a guitar forum!
just make your drummer bring his own symbals and "breakables" as there called in the trade:P
or just go to a practice studio where you can play like its a gig
not worry about sound and have amps facing each other so you can all here better
you sometimes get to use better equipment too:P
Memory locks! Memory locks! Memory locks! Memory locks! Memory locks! Memory locks!

Raaaawrgh! Memory locks!

did I mention Memory locks?

BUY'EM
You like it