Lately ive been swirling around blues music and something i cant wrap my head around is how to play 2 threads at the same time, for example lets take this simple riff ive been practicing -

with my top fingers i play

---------------------------------------------------------
------3---3---2/3----3---2/3----3----3--------------
3/4----4-----------4-----------4-----------4----2----

while with my thumb im trying to do

0------0--0------0--0------0--0------0--0------0--0

on bottom E string (the tabs arent exactly synchronized as i just get confused)

either of these alone are very easy but together i just do it plain wrong then freeze and curse a little any tips on how to pull it off? i cant even practice it since i cant get a single note right while trying them together
Are you using your index for the G string and middle for the B string? If not, start doing that.

I can't tell if the low E's are lined up with any specific higher notes. If they are then I suggest keeping it consistent ie - always line that E up with the D on the B string. If they aren't then again, keep it consistent and have all of them as independent notes.

If these don't correct your problem then I think it would be helpful to supply some more details with what you're having trouble with. If it's synchronization then I think you just need to practice that technique and it will come to you.
Slow it down or trying isolating one of the riffs until you can do it without thinking.
If you have to lay the open notes at the same time as the other notes, it just takes practice. Finger-picking isnt too difficult i dont think, its just a matter of practicing.
Quote by Kaos_00
Are you using your index for the G string and middle for the B string? If not, start doing that.

yes

Quote by Kaos_00

I can't tell if the low E's are lined up with any specific higher notes.

seems to me that some are some arent, if i play an even simpler version of it replacing the top notes with

------------
2/3---3--3
3/4---4--4
------------
------------
------------

they line up and i can play it without much trouble
well one of the keys to this is not to think of them as seperate threads at all. That thinking will only confuse you. keep focused on the rhythm youre playing with your thumb on the low E string above all and dont let that drop as that is the pulse of the music. its best to take this sort of thing slow like any new technique. With fingerstyle its best to play slowly at first and let the plucking pattern your right hand uses become second nature to you then you can speed up and it will be great.
Play one while singing the other. Then switch. You want to get the sound of them played together into your head.

Once you can do that both ways, you should be good to combine them on the instrument.
Break it into a few manageable sections, perfect each one separately, and then string them together.
well im done practicing for today, dont want this dull pain in my left hand i get some times. I did however figure out where the notes go and how it should sound together and discovered the thing that makes it so hard is that from the pair of 0's on E string the second one isnt synced with anything and is infact infact in middle of where i let another high note ring. I also managed to nail it a few times from the couple hundred i went over it and by accident noticed that playing these 2 in a different sync changed the sound from bluesy to rocky in an instant which is kinda cool
Little followup: I think its a sort of skill and its totally learnable, after a few days of practicing i eventually just "got" it and now i can mix any kind of bass line with whatever im playing ofcourse you can do that by laying out the tab and practicing that specific song by that but this saves alot of time and is fun to play around with
This is the real deal;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU-9S86wjqY&feature=related

Try to play that.

first 8 bars probably will already take about 2 or 3 weeks or so to get it perfect right in time like him, and sound as separate lines (Separate instruments) like he does.

You need to mute the lower strings, but keep the top strings open. The bass line section must be perfect in time or else the whole effect of two instruments is gone.

ON top of that the melody he plays on top is even on it's own quite stunning. The rhythm is so syncopated and he uses slides with his top fingers while the bass keeps going in time perfect

I don't even wanna start on the finger independence and positions of all those tasty upper triads and the sheer control of his playing dynamics.

Trust me, learning sweeps is piece of cake compared to this.

Just Amazing;

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 3, 2009,
Quote by lunchboxattacks
well one of the keys to this is not to think of them as seperate threads at all. That thinking will only confuse you. keep focused on the rhythm youre playing with your thumb on the low E string above all and dont let that drop as that is the pulse of the music. its best to take this sort of thing slow like any new technique. With fingerstyle its best to play slowly at first and let the plucking pattern your right hand uses become second nature to you then you can speed up and it will be great.

This. Don't think of it as playing two separate pieces. You have to coordinate it as one piece.

The intro to "Nothing Else Matters" is a good, easy song for practicing the concept.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ