I dont like playing my epi les paul standard anymore because it is too uncomfortable to play standing up for some reason and i don't like it and it never stays in tune...

Anyone recommend me a good solid guitar for rock/hard rock/metal?

budget 400$
Schecter Omen Extreme is for $400 or Schecter Omen Extreme with Floyd Rose for $450
Mabie an LTD, or a Schecter.Or you could try a Used Jackson RR3 r somthing along the lines of that.Keep scanning craigslist
deans are overpriced, get a used Japanese Ibanez RG from the 5/6/7 range
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG560
Epiphone G400
Mesa Boogie Recto-verb
Peavey JSX
Marshall MG50
Quote by againsteternity
Dean guitars are always good and a B.C Rich warlok is pretty comfortable standing up with

No.

Both are overpriced and are poorly constructed.

Go with Ibanez, ESP LTD, Schecter, or a Jackson.

Definitely try to go used.
Did everyone after post 3 say "hey let's give this kid the worst advice ever." seriously you're telling him to turn in his LES PAUL for a RG or WARLOCK... Did UG turn tone deaf while I was gone?

Edit- except davey and scooped
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by Powerstrike
I dont like playing my epi les paul standard anymore because it is too uncomfortable to play standing up for some reason and i don't like it and it never stays in tune...

budget 400$
TBH, even the most inexpensive guitars and their stock tuners are easy to keep in tune ... try doing it this way:

If you can go used, you have so many options for $400! Just be aware that if you find a fixed bridge hard to tune/keep in tune, some people take a while to get proficient properly setting up one with a FR.

Have you thought about going 7?

Ibanez RG7620 with the infamous LoPro, best, an opinion:

Schecter C7:

go used. you won't find anything GREAT for metal at that price. in fact, it'll be more of a side step than an upgrade. save up a bit more or go used and you'll find some killer guitars
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Yo, I have a Fender Strat and I can even do SLIPKNOT and it sounds great! It's kinda on the expensive side, but if you save up it is worth the buy. Oh yeah, get the Delux version,Normal version kinda sucks.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Did everyone after post 3 say "hey let's give this kid the worst advice ever." seriously you're telling him to turn in his LES PAUL for a RG or WARLOCK... Did UG turn tone deaf while I was gone?

I LOL'd. . So true.

To the OP, if you have those problems, it's not the guitar itself that's bad, but maybe you're not stringing it up in the right way. Look at examples of restringing if you haven't done that. Could be the way the strings are put on, or the nut could be messed up.

As for it being uncomfortable...I know what you mean. That's the reason I returned my les pal standard to the store after almost a month of owning it. It's just not comfortable to me.

Have you tried SG's? Those are more comfortable IMO. They're thinner, lighter, and shaped differently. Their tone's really close to LPs, and you may like that brighter tone better.

Another suggestion is the Ibanez ARX-320, or the ART series. They're designed to give a les pal tone, and it's lighter, more comfortable. The ARX series has passive pickups and the ARTs have actives. Check those out.
Last edited by Bling Dogg at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut

I love you for this.

Anyway, TS, I'd look into, as much as many people will hate me for saying this, a MIM Standard HSS strat. Humbucker in the bridge when you need it, and you have the single-coils for cleans. Plus you also get the mid-bridge position since it has coil-tap now. And yes it can do metal. Hell, an SSS strat can. I have.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Powerstrike

budget 400$

Well,there isn't much on the new market for that price,but the used market should have a few options.Look for an older MIJ Ibanez that's in good condition,or maybe a used Schecter C-1 plus or blackjack series.I'd honestly suggest saving up more money before purchasing something though,because there's a lot more out there in the 600 USD range.For that price you start getting into used Carvin models and what not,which destroy Epi in nearly every category IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Personally, I would save up a little more and get a used Gibson SG. Because it sounds pretty similar to your LP, you could sell the LP and not miss it much, the Gibson SG should sound better than an Epi LP and be much easier to play. It would be a definite upgrade, and you should be able to get a decent used SG for about 700-900, less for a special.
Quote by Shredder03
Schecter Omen Extreme is for $400 or Schecter Omen Extreme with Floyd Rose for $450

Look into Schecter guitars. Another I'd recommend, slightly higher price, though, is the Shecter C-1 series, or the Damien series.
Quote by VanTheKraut

Hey RG's are amazing

But I do agree on the warlock thing
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
try to get a nice higher end RG series Ibanez
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Hey RG's are amazing

But I do agree on the warlock thing

touche.

there's a RG560 i wanna buy for 200. original edge trem and everything. only flaw is the Original Wizard neck is cracked but after playing with it. it's still very amazing
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
My Ibanez JS100 is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played, no competition.
I believe the Ibanez S series guitars have a similar body shape to them, so I'd suggest trying a few of those on for size before you decide.
TBH, even the most inexpensive guitars and their stock tuners are easy to keep in tune ... try doing it this way:

If you can go used, you have so many options for $400! Just be aware that if you find a fixed bridge hard to tune/keep in tune, some people take a while to get proficient properly setting up one with a FR.

Have you thought about going 7?
*pics*

Ippon, the Lopro on that RG is not parallel... the baseplate is supposed to be angled up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you sure? the baseplate is supposed to slope up past the knife edges.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You don't say who makes your L.P. Standard , Gibson or Epi. While L.P.'s are heavier than alot of offerings out there they are good guitars.
If it's not staying in tune have the innotation checked , if there is a problem most times it 's the nut which is easily fixed by a shop that knows what they are doing and most places checking you guitat out is a $25 -45 fix.
If your age in your profile is any where near correct personally I wouldn't be looking for a new guitar unless the feel of the guitar (action) isn't good for you.