Page 1 of 2
I'm lookin to pick one up solely as a practice amp, seems decent enough. And the price is right, any opinions on em?
They suck.

Seriously I think they suck. Passable with a decent pedal. Needs a fair amount of modding to get decent tones in my opinion. There are plenty of people that like them though, some will be posting soon probably

Try it out if you can.

EDIT: Let me explain why I don't like it either. I've found the top end to be rather fizzy and harsh (seems to be typical with most single ended EL84 amps though). The bass was flabby and farty. Overall I found it rather muddy as well. Just found it unusable on it's own. Your experience may differ!
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by McLeod
I'm lookin to pick one up solely as a practice amp, seems decent enough. And the price is right, any opinions on em?

depends what you're expecting it to sound like
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
for a practice amp, depending on what you play, i would say its a great choice.
(bear in mind, i also dont think that they are very good at all.)
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
As the bird says it depends on what you want it to do. Stock its pretty limited to low volume clean or turned up classic rock. Its pretty easy to swap for some better tubes and mod for a preamp gain and vol knob set up. And your gonna want an EQ of some kind in front of it. Mine modded works really good as a clean tube amp with my various homemade pedals for distortion. But dont expect death metal out of it. I bought mine as my 30 watt tube amp was way to loud to get any volume out of, along with decent tone, and be compatable with my infant sons sleeping habits. Some as previously stated hate in any form, but there are alot of people very happy with em.
Basically all I need is a clean amp for jazz. I have an eq pedal I think it will do the trick and I think the levels will be suitable for a university dorm
i love my VJ.......but it does not sound that great on it's own. tube changes and some pedals you can get some really killer tones outta it. i would look at other cabs than the EPI one also.
Quote by McLeod
Basically all I need is a clean amp for jazz. I have an eq pedal I think it will do the trick and I think the levels will be suitable for a university dorm
The Vypyr has some pretty nice cleans. I have both a Vjr head/cab and the Vjr Combo. The Vjr needs pedals in front for any kind of tone at all. I'd go for the Vypyr 30.
Quote by fly135
The Vypyr has some pretty nice cleans. I have both a Vjr head/cab and the Vjr Combo. The Vjr needs pedals in front for any kind of tone at all. I'd go for the Vypyr 30.

If this is for home practice, try the Fender Champion 600.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by McLeod

crate v5 or fender champion 600 will beat the vj for cleans.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by lespaul#1

If this is for home practice, try the Fender Champion 600.
You don't need to crank a Vypyr to get some great clean tones. I've never used the 600, but those tiny speakers always leave me unsatisfied.
Wait, crank a small tube amp for cleans?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
put a 12at7 in the pre amp and eq and reverb you can get some really nice clean tone's outta a vj and pretty loud. and they really sound REALLY good with fuzz and overdrive with a 12at7 at lower volumes.. more powertube saturation at a lower volume gets ya bigger fatter sound............quality pedals help but pedals are the key for a $100.00 amp with nothing but a volume!!
Quote by mmjohn
put a 12at7 in the pre amp and eq and reverb you can get some really nice clean tone's outta a vj and pretty loud. and they really sound REALLY good with fuzz and overdrive with a 12at7 at lower volumes.. more powertube saturation at a lower volume gets ya bigger fatter sound............quality pedals help but pedals are the key for a $100.00 amp with nothing but a volume!!

+1 love my Vj.Gotta H2O chorus/echo coming. Can't wait.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i traded for a v1 i think you'll really like it. i love the v1 and hear the v2 is better! i just traded for a russian big muff and let me tell ya what i'm really suprised how good it sounds. today was the first day i really got to play with it but REALLY like it.
I was not impressed with it in the least. I tried it with a tubescreamer in front and at higher volumes. It sounded like crap no matter where you set it. It has zero clarity so if you want something to cover up poor playing it would do a pretty good job at that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I was not impressed with it in the least. I tried it with a tubescreamer in front and at higher volumes. It sounded like crap no matter where you set it. It has zero clarity so if you want something to cover up poor playing it would do a pretty good job at that.

geez dude it seems you have a stick up your ass about valve jr's. we get your point you don't like them.............ok
Quote by mmjohn
geez dude it seems you have a stick up your ass about valve jr's. we get your point you don't like them.............ok

Umm, no. The guy asked for an opinion, I gave mine. You think it's gonna change from thread to thread? I'm sorry you're in love with it, but I think it sucks.
epiphone amps generally arent that great, they're also sufficiently ugly. you could just get a peavey or a vox or something like that, or even a little orange.
blackstar ht-5?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by scott58
+1 love my Vj.Gotta H2O chorus/echo coming. Can't wait.
Just picked up an H2O yesterday off CL for $80. It's the V1. Haven't even had a chance to use it yet.
Quote by fly135
Just picked up an H2O yesterday off CL for $80. It's the V1. Haven't even had a chance to use it yet.

i really like my V1............good luck with yours!
Quote by mmjohn

dude, they do suck pretty bad.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man

that coming from a guy sportin GFS pup's.............i guess you know quality products. you are right in stock form they aren't anything special.
Last edited by mmjohn at Mar 5, 2009,
hate to hijack the thread, but got the H2O. It was used like Fly's (same $80) and has a problem. Echo works great, but the chorus has a slight buzz to it after it's played for about 10 minutes. Taking it back saturday. Friend picked it up in indy, but I understand I can take it back to any GC. I'm just gonna get a new one like i should have in the first place. it's a very nice chorus pedal. It will be worth the $180 or whatever it is.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by chea_man

I'll take the VJ with a POD xt Live over any other modeling amp under $500.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by mmjohn
that coming from a guy sportin GFS pup's.............i guess you know quality products.

have you ever played there alnico single coils? of you havent, you should try and find someone that has em so you can try them, they really are nice. and if you have tried them and didnt like them, then fair enough.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
have you ever played there alnico single coils? of you havent, you should try and find someone that has em so you can try them, they really are nice. and if you have tried them and didnt like them, then fair enough.

they were in my mim i traded for and they were thin trebly and buzzy. nothing like the the set of fender noiseless that ended up in the neck and bridge.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Strat-Neck-Middle-Pickup-301631-i1127527.gc
Okay, mmjohn, I think Kevin Saale might be someone to listen to in this situation.

"Recognised by the Official GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009"

See that? I dunno if it means anything or whatever, but I don't see this in many people's sigs. Just saying.

As for the VJ, it's alright. I didn't really like it the most... I hated the one volume control, but it was one of the first tube amps I ever played through, so I couldn't really compare. Now, after having played through quite a few, I can say it's not great. Okay for the price, sure, but there are better amps out there. For a dorm it would be fine, but for jazzy cleans, is there not a tiny Fender amp you could try instead? Or even a modeler amp.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Okay, mmjohn, I think Kevin Saale might be someone to listen to in this situation.

"Recognised by the Official GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009"

See that? I dunno if it means anything or whatever, but I don't see this in many people's sigs. Just saying.

As for the VJ, it's alright. I didn't really like it the most... I hated the one volume control, but it was one of the first tube amps I ever played through, so I couldn't really compare. Now, after having played through quite a few, I can say it's not great. Okay for the price, sure, but there are better amps out there. For a dorm it would be fine, but for jazzy cleans, is there not a tiny Fender amp you could try instead? Or even a modeler amp.

lol...............i'm going to be 42 in a few days and been playing guitar for 26 years and have played and spent lots of dollars over the years on amp's, guitars and effects. yes off the show room a VJ does not sound very good. but almost any amp with only a volume wouldn't either. but a few mods the right speaker and some pedals you can get good tones outta it. now HOW many threads start out here MY VJ won't play or my VJ died.............they are reliable little $100 amp's that for a person new to tube amps or modding amp's it's a great start or like me and disabled not able to lift anything very heavy. and not having to go to a tech every time you wanna change tubes. these day's it seems like so many lower priced tube amps need to have the tubes changed before you even take it home. i have a horror story about the VK i got for my Bday last year. but i don't feel the need to bash them in every thread.
Quote by mmjohn
lol...............i'm going to be 42 in a few days and been playing guitar for 26 years and have played and spent lots of dollars over the years on amp's, guitars and effects. yes off the show room a VJ does not sound very good. but almost any amp with only a volume wouldn't either. but a few mods the right speaker and some pedals you can get good tones outta it. now HOW many threads start out here MY VJ won't play or my VJ died.............they are reliable little $100 amp's that for a person new to tube amps or modding amp's it's a great start or like me and disabled not able to lift anything very heavy. and not having to go to a tech every time you wanna change tubes. these day's it seems like so many lower priced tube amps need to have the tubes changed before you even take it home. i have a horror story about the VK i got for my Bday last year. but i don't feel the need to bash them in every thread.

Okay, well, see I had no idea of your age or experience.

I see where you're coming from. I think it's just a matter of all the GG&A regulars also having a lot of experience, and are just trying to recommend the thread starter the most bang for his buck. Again, I dunno.
Funny this popped up here, I just arranged last night to buy a Vjr from a friend of a friend in a few weeks... mod suggestions? I'm new to amp mods, but not to tube amps. Don't say replace the tubes, I don't really consider that a mod. Just curious, what mod did you do, how did you do it (roughly) and what result did you get?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^^^And by the time you've spent 50-150 on a speaker, 20 bucks on tubes and however much else to mod the danged thing you could've just gotten a better amp that's more versatile and does the same sound as the VJ and more.

I'll sum it up. The VJ and other single ended five watters have their own flavor. You either like this flavor or you don't. You can mod it all you want, it's still gonna have that flavor. Me biggest beef is the lack of clarity and the fuzzy woofy tone it has. Some people may love that.

GibsonSG: Thanks for backing me up, but just because that's in my sig doesn't mean everyone will like or dislike the same things I dislike. As always, try before you buy.

^I'd think modding it for tone control and giving it a master volume would give the best results with the least effort.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 5, 2009,
Quote by mmjohn

Not if some thought process actually goes into designing it.

I agree with everything Kevin said about the amp, and I've owned two of them. Heaven forbid if someone states their opinion.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^^^And by the time you've spent 50-150 on a speaker, 20 bucks on tubes and however much else to mod the danged thing you could've just gotten a better amp that's more versatile and does the same sound as the VJ and more.

I'll sum it up. The VJ and other single ended five watters have their own flavor. You either like this flavor or you don't. You can mod it all you want, it's still gonna have that flavor. Me biggest beef is the lack of clarity and the fuzzy woofy tone it has. Some people may love that.

GibsonSG: Thanks for backing me up, but just because that's in my sig doesn't mean everyone will like or dislike the same things I dislike. As always, try before you buy.

^I'd think modding it for tone control and giving it a master volume would give the best results with the least effort.

Hmmm... are these mods do-able for a beginner? I am somewhat electrically knowledgeable and know how to solder, etc.

Also what would the difference be from a master volume and the one on it stock, since its single channel wouldnt that be a master volume?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I got a Valve Junior because I thought it would be fun to mod. I wouldn't have bought it if I wanted to leave it stock. Stock I think they sound like butt. Honestly once I picked up my Blues Jr. I haven't turned the Valve Junior on since then.

To get it to sound good, this would be the minimum in my opinion:

New Output Transformer, $50. Removes the "sounds like it has a wet blanket over it" aspect.

Tone Control Circuit, $5 in parts, minimal soldering. Gives some tone control and is a simple mod

Tubes/Speakers, $100+ I hope you know what these do.

At this point, you've spent more than I did on my blues jr. and it'll never sound that good. ever.

I did the tone control and nothing else, and now it's up for sale.

If it were me, I'd save a few more bucks and pick up the Vox AC4TV that is coming out this month. I think it pretty much obsoletes the Epi...

-J!
Page 1 of 2