I have been wanting to make my own guitar for awhile..
My grandfather is a professional woodworker
I want to put EMG 81/85s in it
but I don't know what to do about a neck, a headstock, hardware, bridge ect.

im just kind of curious haha
Good for you.
Was the 4th row down a question?
GEAR
________

Jackson RR3 w/ Dimebucker
Epiphone G400 Extreme
Marshall Mg30 Dfx (It does the job),
Kelry Sinister Strings, 10 - 52's
Dunlop Jazz III's or Dunlop purple 2.00 tortex(sharpened).
well im saying buy one from warmoth becasue unlike bodys, so much can go wrong with building a neck. hardware and bridge and stuff can all be bought i guess.
In my experience, if you havn't made a guitar yet, I suggest buying a neck premade - it's the most sensitive part of hte neck. Also, the neck and headstock are on the same block of wood, in case you didn't know.

Bottom line - the neck is hard to make. It's all math and precise cuts.
^ the bodys is all maths and precise cuts aswell!!! If you dont place the bridge right it will be a bigger f**k than anything that goes wrong on the neck.

Damn people need to stop with this 'omg necks are so hard to do if I even slightly try it will go hideously wrong'

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
get ur grandfather to make the neck and body and stuff
but it all depends on wat music u want to play. like Rosewood is good for a slightly hollow sound, etc
u have to get new tuners (depends on the head shape) if u have a head divided into 3s to both sides Sperzel Locking Tuners are the best and is u have a headstock thats straight and not divided, Fender tuners maybe? im not sure but u need to cut and drill all the stuff.
and u need a bridge. if u like the bridges that les pauls have, its gona be pretty easy. if u want a tremolo bridge, u need to cut the whole guitar through which is pretty tricky.
and u need to get electronics for the switch, volume knob, etc (im not sure where u can find them) and u need a nut and actually A LOT of stuff that need to be professionally handled. building ur own guitar is gona be hard unless u can find pieces from the internet like from fender, where u can get the body, neck etc for quite a cheap price. If u collect parts, it'll be easier. but still, if u want to build it, its gona be really hard. i strongly recommend u just buy a ready made guitar.
Quote by Absent Mind
^ the bodys is all maths and precise cuts aswell!!! If you dont place the bridge right it will be a bigger f**k than anything that goes wrong on the neck.

Damn people need to stop with this 'omg necks are so hard to do if I even slightly try it will go hideously wrong'

well you have to be a comlete fuckass to put the bridge in the wrong place. and really thats the only thing that could possibly go wrong. with necks you need to worry about so much more.
Just build the entire thing. If your grandfather is a professional woodworker, and you buy plans or have a template and the fret location program, then you're fine. Just don't do anything horrendously stupid.
Use common sense and do some research, and you'll be able to do everything just fine. If you think it will help, go buy a book on building electric guitars.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
yeah thanks for the help
I think im going to purchase a premade neck and headstock
but where could I buy hardware? (tuners, bridge, knobs, nut, ect.)
actually, lots of necks have the headstock from a different piece of wood, though obviously they aren't bought seperately, i just wanted to clarify that which was said earlier. Melvyn hiscock has a brilliant book that you should get, it has helped me. also. MIMF.com is about the best resource around, but read their faq and lurk waaay before you start asking questions cause they're pretty much all adult professional luthiers and don't want to explain what another thread or wikipedia could.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
^ Its true he is a complete retard

Quote by ColbyDTD
yeah Ill look around.
should I get a guitar shop to put it together for me?
If you can build a guitar you can certainly put it together, thats the easiest part.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
necks aren't hard to make...
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by JoelTheShredder
well you have to be a comlete fuckass to put the bridge in the wrong place. and really thats the only thing that could possibly go wrong. with necks you need to worry about so much more.

Neck pocket cut too deep, too shallow, too wide etc. Its not just all about the bridge placement. If the neck doesn't sit properly in the pocket then you're screwed just like you would be if you measured the scale wrong and routed the bridge in the wrong spot.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
There is a big difference between making a guitar... and putting one together from parts that were already made... which are you trying to do? One is very difficult and will likely require instruction from a guitar school ( like Roberto-Venn School of Guitar Luthiery, where I attended in 2006), and one is fairly simple, you just contact a company like warmoth and purchase the parst that you want. I'm assuming that your in fact trying ot put on together from parts, and you can get everything you need from warmoth, and youll have a really ice guitar.
If you are scared about routing everything right (like for a bridge or neck), doesn't Warmoth sell body blanks with that stuff already done?
what i dont really get about people not building a neck on their first build is why they imagine they will magically be able to do it after their first guitar body. There arent really a lot of things that u do to build a body that transfer over to neck building so as long as u plan the crap out of it and measure everything twice u may as well build a neck first tiem round
Quote by EffectsGuru
There is a big difference between making a guitar... and putting one together from parts that were already made... which are you trying to do? One is very difficult and will likely require instruction from a guitar school ( like Roberto-Venn School of Guitar Luthiery, where I attended in 2006), and one is fairly simple, you just contact a company like warmoth and purchase the parst that you want. I'm assuming that your in fact trying ot put on together from parts, and you can get everything you need from warmoth, and youll have a really ice guitar.

You definitely do not need professional instruction to do a build. You just need patience and skill with woodworking. Most builders on this forum have no formal training and their builds all seem to go plenty fine. Pro instruction would make it easier, but if you're willing to put time and effort into a build, you can do it with a router, a coping saw, glue, a drill, and a rubber mallet. I've seen it done
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by JoelTheShredder

Have you ever built a guitar from scratch?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by EffectsGuru

Whilst I mean no disrespect towards you, for having attended a school of luthiery, I'd just like to add this:

I'm pretty sure that Perry Ormsby has said a billion times over, that he's never attended such a school, and I'm sure we can agree that he's more than adept at making handcrafted guitars. Granted, he has a background in carpentry (cabinet making, I think it was.. and I apologise to Perry if any of this is wrong), but his work proves that having a general knowledge of the tools and working practices is more important than graduating, or obtaining certification from, a 'School of Guitar Luthiery'.

Edit: Also, back on-topic. Every few weeks, a couple of builds pop up from normal dudes, and they're nothing to be scoffed at. Sure, we don't do it perfectly, but there's no shame in that, and certainly not for trying the first or any consecutive tries. If you start building your own kit from scratch, you'll still get the necessary experience, but you might take a bit longer. If you go to a school, you'll get a bit of directed experience and a head start, but I'm pretty sure it'll strip your pockets. There's no reason why someone with vision and discipline shouldn't be able to make a perfect guitar from scratch, the first time.

Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone who IS certified, I just don't think that people should be put-off from dabbling by that.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Mar 3, 2009,
To build a guitar from scratch you need a good reading material, some balls, some cash, and a bunch of tools.

-For reading material, there's that one book that I just can't for the life of me remember, something like "basics of building electric guitars" by a Michael something. Its got pretty much everything you'd ever need.

-Check out some local lumberyards and look for good quality wood, use the search bar in this forum specifically and check out the tone wood thread and read up on lp addicts description of each wood. Most peeps go for an ash or alder body w/ maple neck for their starting guitar (as more often then not they are simple non-carved bodies not dis-similar to your everyday telecaster, no offense).

-Use guitarfetish to buy the silly little parts like knobs, plates, jacks, pickup guards and what not. But use ebay, mightymite (replacement parts for fender, but damn good), allparts.com (message lp addict and prepare to wait a few weeks for a 35% discount) for all the more important parts such as the pickups, tuners (grovers or schaller please), nuts, bridges, saddles, tune-o-matic stop pieces.

-For raw materials that you can't find on the bay or whatever, just use stewmac.com They are a tad overpriced as they have to make money somehow or whatever, but for fretwire, pots, and tools they're the number one stop.

-You'll need a shop of some sort, basic tools as well as the couple of tools that guitars can't really go together without. Namely a bandsaw and possibly a planer. And of course there are tons of tools that make jobs easier. Sure you could hand sand the body and neck and what not, or you could get a power sander and be done quicker. Up to you, but I'd suggest using a router since using chisels is a pain in the ass if you don't have patience.

-Balls and patience. You'll need copious amounts of both. And having an older, experienced wood worker nearby always helps.

good luck, go slowly and do research, measure twice cut once etc etc.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
We get a thread like this at least 3 times a week. Please use the search bar and look in the Resource thread stickied at the top of the page.

And don't put EMGs in it. Active pups have the unique ability to throw everything that went into the tonal area of construction out the window. In other words, an EMG will sound the same in a First Act or a Gibson Custom Shop.
Quote by sesstreets
bla bla bla

Why are you bumping this hopelessly old and pointless thread