Page 1 of 2
Are there exercises that help with metalcore? I need to get faster/better at playing the riffs.

Also what songs help out with that kind of technique?
try speed picking as fast as you can without your hand becoming stiff
string string skipping with alternate picking (HARD!)
other stuff similar to this
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
A good technique commonly used in metal cores sound is just tune your guitar low and just SLAM the strings.
That was sarcasm btw. Practise metal no 'core'
GEAR
________

Jackson RR3 w/ Dimebucker
Epiphone G400 Extreme
Marshall Mg30 Dfx (It does the job),
Kelry Sinister Strings, 10 - 52's
Dunlop Jazz III's or Dunlop purple 2.00 tortex(sharpened).
Don't be a pussy. Practice metal. If your thinking of string skipping that's a common technique in metal and melodic death metal.
Quote by Endless_Pain
So anybody gonna actually help me out here?

I am being serious

You need to be more specific. Playing metalcore can mean a billion different things. There is many different techniques that are implored with that genre.
All you can do is practice, the majority of metalcore isn't too hard to play.

Start with an easy band like As I Lay Dying (old stuff). Look up some lessons on alternate picking and string skipping and you should be set. It'll take time, like anything else with the guitar.
Listen to as much Integrity as is humanly possible, then pick up your guitar.
Keep learning songs. Get guitar pro (if you don't want to pay, pirate it or get tuxguitar), download the tabs to songs you like or want to learn. Don't get easy songs. Challenge yourself. You can slow the speed down on the tabs when you play them back, its a great way to work your way up. I don't know where you are in your guitar playing, but here's some good songs to try. I've bolded the most fun/my favorite ones to play:

Easy/Beginner:
The Devil Wears Prada- Dogs Can Grow Beards
Every Time I Die- I Been Gone A Long Time
A7X- Unholy Confessions
August Burns Red- Composure

Medium:
Every Time I Die- Ebolarama
Born Of Osiris- Bow Down or Abstract Art
Job For A Cowboy- Knee Deep or Entombment Of A Machine
August Burns Red- Back Burner
Architects- Buried At Sea

Advanced:
The Human Abstract- Crossing The Rubicon
Veil Of Maya- It's Not Safe to Swim Today
After The Burial- Berzerker

The Faceless- Pestilence
Quote by adtthosa
All you can do is practice, the majority of metalcore isn't too hard to play.

Start with an easy band like As I Lay Dying (old stuff). Look up some lessons on alternate picking and string skipping and you should be set. It'll take time, like anything else with the guitar.

This is it, man. Best advice in the thread.
Quote by JxD
Listen to as much Integrity as is humanly possible, then pick up your guitar.

This guy has his **** together. Kudos.
you learn how to play metalcore by playing metalcore songs.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
i played alot of old darkest hour when i was fist starting out. just get it down to a science man.
on the brink of extinction.
easiest way to improve your metalcore playing is to practice practice practice, technique practice tabs and technical music from any genre is great for this...

i guess my band's metalcore, but i don't practice metalcore stuff all that often, i used to get lessons from one of the Sikth guitarists and he would give me loads of jazz and off-beat stuff to learn to get tight

the trick is to practice whatever the hell you want, but understand why what you're practising will make you better - half of the practice is done in your head, so if you understand, you practice without practising (so to speak)
Keep learning songs. Get guitar pro (if you don't want to pay, pirate it or get tuxguitar), download the tabs to songs you like or want to learn. Don't get easy songs. Challenge yourself. You can slow the speed down on the tabs when you play them back, its a great way to work your way up. I don't know where you are in your guitar playing, but here's some good songs to try. I've bolded the most fun/my favorite ones to play:

Easy/Beginner:

i would be extremely impressed by a begginer that could play the opening riff to this song. I would put this as intermediate. Ebolarama I would list as a begginer song, nto intermediate. Ebolarama was like the first song i taught my friend how to play when he was learning guitar. song is easy as ****. definately a lot easier then I been Gone A Long Time
Last edited by handbanana at Mar 1, 2009,
play comeback kid, thats a pretty good band to start with, and the riffs are pretty simple, then try to work your way up to things like ETID, and then work yourself up to August Burns Red and The Acacia Strain. Also try some nu-metal bandsand just add some breakdowns in, you'll be fine. Metalcore can be fun to play
Quote by saxaxe

Easy/Beginner:

i would be extremely impressed by a begginer that could play the opening riff to this song. I would put this as intermediate. Ebolarama I would list as a begginer song, nto intermediate. Ebolarama was like the first song i taught my friend how to play when he was learning guitar. song is easy as ****. definately a lot easier then I been Gone A Long Time

I always thought I Been Gone A Long Time was really easy. Ebolarama can be pretty tough because of the timing.
i dunno everyones different, it took me like no time at all to learn ebolarama. might just be cuz ETID is one of my favorite bands and I know their songs really well
honestly the best way to get better at guitar it to play stuff like blink 182 with a lot of picking. that will get you comfortable with playing just about anything.
my teacher plays glam and **** like that, so i worked my way around by myself with the riffs and picked up all the sweeping and **** from him.
The trend I've noticed is that you need to steal riffs from At the Gates, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity. Add some chugging. Voila, you are good at metalcore now.
i think u should just quit being a bizitch and play. really u can play any song you want. u just have to practice. eventually you'll get it
Quote by Korosu
The trend I've noticed is that you need to steal riffs from At the Gates, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity. Add some chugging. Voila, you are good at metalcore now.

exactly.
Why is everyone on the warpath against metalcore?
Its not all just string-skipping and breakdowns

You need to learn to tremelo pick, alternate pick, and palm-mute for sure. Sweep-picking, tapping, and a little bit of shred are very nice touches as well. Of course you'll want to perfect your pinch harmonic as well.

Some pretty good bands are (imo):

August Burns Red
The Devil Wears Prada
Darkest Hour
As Blood Runs Black (deathcore)
Between the Buried and Me
As I Lay Dying
Underoath
Destroy the Runner
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
Why is everyone on the warpath against metalcore?
Its not all just string-skipping and breakdowns

You need to learn to tremelo pick, alternate pick, and palm-mute for sure. Sweep-picking, tapping, and a little bit of shred are very nice touches as well. Of course you'll want to perfect your pinch harmonic as well.

Some pretty good bands are (imo):

August Burns Red (Thrill Seeker)
The Devil Wears Prada (Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over)
Darkest Hour
As Blood Runs Black (In Dying Days)
Between the Buried and Me (Alaska)
As I Lay Dying (94 Hours)
Underoath (In Regards to Myself)
Destroy the Runner

I'd consider ABRB very very heavy metalcore.
But for starting out, those are some good bands to go by.
Also put in some songs that I enjoy playing
Quote by therealpw2
easiest way to improve your metalcore playing is to practice practice practice, technique practice tabs and technical music from any genre is great for this...

i guess my band's metalcore, but i don't practice metalcore stuff all that often, i used to get lessons from one of the Sikth guitarists and he would give me loads of jazz and off-beat stuff to learn to get tight

the trick is to practice whatever the hell you want, but understand why what you're practising will make you better - half of the practice is done in your head, so if you understand, you practice without practising (so to speak)

sikth is ****ing amazing

its a shame they broke up
AILD - The sound of truth is a ****ing awsome song to learn. Try some parkway drive too Ex: Blackout
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Korosu

Examples?
Quote by Endless_Pain
Examples?

At The Gates - Blinded By Fear, Cold, Suicide Nation and Nausia
Dark Tranquility - Punish My Heaven

Basically riffs from those songs have been done so many times by metalcore bands you might aswell learn the originals and it'll help a lot with your own riffs as they are so adaptable.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Also another thing I notice

When I practice metalcore riffs slowly my right shoulder begins to hurt. Is this because I'm not use to picking these riffs or is it another problem?
Quote by Endless_Pain
Also another thing I notice

When I practice metalcore riffs slowly my right shoulder begins to hurt. Is this because I'm not use to picking these riffs or is it another problem?

If you're picking with your elbow, stop. If you're picking with your wrist, it could just be that you're not used to playing that long or not used to picking the riffs.
Start learning the stylings of early melodic death metal
(the harmonies, the scales, the rhythms)

then add that "-core edge" to it with some breakdowns and nasty vocals
BLEHH

Really though, melodeath is a very strong backing to metalcore, you just need to put it together
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Page 1 of 2