if you havent been reading my recent threads, i will catch you up.

my HRD is $hit. always breaking down and depsite trips to the amp doctor and replacing tubes, it continues to sound worrse and worse. its time for a more professional amp anyway. i play jazz, blues, early Rnb, Soul, i do some session work, and tour with a signed christian rock band.
i was considering buying a mesa lonestar or a mesa heartbreaker. but now there is a new option.

should i send my old bassman head in to get modded to become a dumble clone? there are about three companies that im talking to about it right now.

and if i choose to go this route, what speakers would go well with this type of amp for my style? i dont know much about speakers. i would assume i would just get an avatar cab, but i could easily build one. i would either want a 2x12 or a 4x10.

thanks for your time and help.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
that sounds pretty interesting, how much would the mod cost you? If it isn't overly expensive you could always get a mesa, then save up a bit and have the amp modded at a later time.

As far as cabs go a 4x10 sounds like it would suit your style of music, especially if you ran the dumble modded bassman in stereo with the mesa.

Wow, I just gave myself major gas for a Mesa Lonestar.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
holy crap, now i want them both haha.

it would be cheaper than gettng the mesa. but if i get the mesa, im letting my friend mod the bassman in a different way.
he is going to take the second channel, and blackface it. then the first channel will be switchable between tweed bassman, and marshall jtm45.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
holy crap, now i want them both haha.

it would be cheaper than gettng the mesa. but if i get the mesa, im letting my friend mod the bassman in a different way.
he is going to take the second channel, and blackface it. then the first channel will be switchable between tweed bassman, and marshall jtm45.

Do want.

Seriously? That'd be sick though.

But yeah, I bet that mod would really be sweet.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I would go with the Lonestar. It's much more versatile, and it seems like it would suit you better. It'd be especially handy for session work.

The Bassman mod sounds awesome as well, but I would go for the Lonestar and let your friend do the Blackface mod.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I personally wouldn't want the dumble mod on a bassman that I owned. I'd get it modded to be as close to a '61 as possible.

Maybe you can try to find a nice blonde fender, or get a blonde fender clone? That'd SLAY for old school R&B and Jazz, for realz.
i guess i should mention i play alot of different types of jazz, including fusion. so the dumble sound would come in handy.

and hypothetically, if i got the dumble mod, what type of speakers would be recommended?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
anyone know what speakers would compliment it well?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
hm, maybe the celestion G10 Greenback would be good for a 4x10, especially for blues.

Bassmans sound amazing through 15's though imo. The only time I've ever played a bassman was through 2 EminenceCommonwealths and it was quite heavenly.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by funkymonkz
hm, maybe the celestion G10 Greenback would be good for a 4x10, especially for blues.

Bassmans sound amazing through 15's though imo. The only time I've ever played a bassman was through 2 EminenceCommonwealths and it was quite heavenly.

keep in mind it wont be a bassman anymore, it will be a dumble ODS clone.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I'd get the Lonestar, personally; it'd mean you have two amps over just one modded one. Plus, the Bassman would be even more versatile after your friend mods it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by chea_man
anyone know what speakers would compliment it well?

2- EV 12-L speakers, stevie used em for a reason in all his amps. I believe they are stock in some dumbles.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
arent those discontinued?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
How about an Allen Old Flame or Brown Sugar?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Like Raijouta already said, the best possible thing to do would be to get the Lonestar and then have your friend mod the Bassman.

It may be more costly then simply having the bassman modded but the outcome would be so much greater.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
yeah i think im just going to get the lonestar. im selling the HRD and my drums so i can get it sooner. hopefully ill have it soon and can finally offer a real NAD thread.

ok now, what would be a great all purpose speaker for the future blackface bassman/JTM 45
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
What kinda speaker budget have you?

Don't judge me.
im really not sure what speakers should cost. im probably not gonna go for the most expensive speakers in the world, but am willing to save up for 2 nice all purpose speakers. ill most likely be building the cab myself, unless i find out i wont be saving much money from buying a loaded avatar cab.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
decent quality speakers usually cost anywhere from $70-$250, what are you looking for in the speaker though? breakup, clarity, sensitivity, etc..
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Just go look at used gear in local pawnshops and guitar stores. A friend of mine got a 1978 Marshall JCP100 halfstack for $1,500 used recently, you can likely find something similar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Ugh...unless you're skilled at carpentry and have access to good wood, I wouldn't try and build your own cab. There are alot of factors involved.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Ugh...unless you're skilled at carpentry and have access to good wood, I wouldn't try and build your own cab. There are alot of factors involved.

It doesn't require much wood working skill to build a cab, and it doesn't require amazing wood. You basically need know how to cut wood, and possibly make dove-tail joints which are very easy to do. The wood used in most cabs is baltic birch ply wood which is extremely common.

I've built 2 cabs and will be starting another very soon and it was actually quite easy and it costs much less then buying a cab.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by theoreticmusic

im actually very good at it, thanks.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
im actually very good at it, thanks.

Then by all means, make your own. It's just not something advisable for those among us who aren't gifted with sharp objects...(me...?).

Don't judge me.
Just make sure you copy another amps dimensions. If you make one the wrong size you could end up with dead spots or something. Even if it's well made it would sound terrible if it was the wrong size.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not