Here' s my current setup:

MIM SSH Strat
V2 J&H
Buddy Guy Wah
Blues Junior

I like the range of distortion's the V2 can produce, but I wanted to try to make it sound heavier, since I do occasionally have the urge to play some metal. Would an eq do the trick? If so, I here the fish n chips is a good budget eq.

Would using that help me achieve a heavier tone?
i would get an amp suited to heavier tones.

also, how do you like the buddy guy wah?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
the buddy guy is great, granted it's the only wah i've ever owned, but it has a strong sweep that is defined even with a lot of distortion, something I know cheaper wahs struggle with. Plus, I got it by mistake, I ordered the $70 dunlop wah and musician's friend gave me the buddy guy, which makes it $100 more worth it .
thanks.
do you have a budget at all, for heavier tones you should look at an amp that is geared towards it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
oh and I don't really have the budget to get another amp, and the band i'm in plays jazz, blues, rock, and the occasional punk so i don't truly need a 'heavier amp' than what i have. I'd just like to play with some heavy tones here and there. I plan on getting the V2 H20 pedal in the future and combined hope to make an awesome lead tone.
Quote by chea_man
thanks.
do you have a budget at all, for heavier tones you should look at an amp that is geared towards it.

i don't want to spend much at all, probably no more than $70 US. I know about the MXR 6 band eq, but I don't know if it's all that much better than the danelectro to justify the price difference. I take care of my property so if the plastic casing is the only reason not to buy the danelectro, I'll still go with it and just be careful.
an EQ would help quite a bit since the valve junior doesnt really have any EQ.
im sure the danelectro would be fine. there both EQs, i cant imagine one being that much better than the other for your purposes.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Id get a OD or distortion pedal. Unless you think your amp is giving you enough distortion and you just want to tweak it a little more with the EQ.

The Eq wont really make as much as a difference as a OD or distortion pedal would in terms of making a the sound heavier.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by youngapprentice
ok in that case, what's a solid distortion pedal for metal?

The Metal Muff with Top Boost. Its so great.
Quote by Flying Couch
I approve of this thread.

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty
Best book ever, best thread ever.

Quote by batman187
I definitely approve of this.

Quote by meh!
does that have a lot of bass too it? i'm really trying to get the chunky rythmnic sound, my jekyll and hyde can handle the high leads
Is there a decent music store that you can go to and try different options. Find one with your amp and guitar and ask to run a few pedals through it. The guy at the store should be able to point you in the right direction. Some people swear by EQ's for what you are doing, and there are a ton of good distortion pedals too. The best way to find out is to play them. Many decent OD/distortion pedals will have a good array of EQing options too.

For a bit of specifics, I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and it gets the Tool/SoaD sound really well, but it is not versatile. A tube screamer type OD will give you more verstility for the sounds you are already getting from your Blues Jr., but not really the scooped metal sound it seems you are asking about. An EQ alone might work depending on how hot your guitar PUps are. Thats the only pedals I have much experience with, other people will have better advice on specific pedals.
I'd just go with an EQ to fine tune the sound and boost it a bit more than the J&H can alone.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores