I play in a Christian band. Yes I know what your thinking, but I'm not one of those "Distortion?!?!1! SIIINN" types. I'm a metalhead. Anyways, we do very simple songs, usually play at youth group and occasionally in front of the whole church (200 some people) with 1 electric guitar, 1 acoustic, piano, and bass. I play the bass. I'm finding it EXTREMELY boring playing single notes along with guitar chording. How can I fit in bass fills and licks underneath the singing and stuff, without drawing too much attention to myself, but make the songs actually fun and interesting?
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Learn scales and good phrases and licks for bass, then intergrate them with what you're playing.

Also, chromatic's are your friend.
Try arppegiating the chord you're playing along to. Hit the root, third, fifth and octave. It'll be more interesting and it should sound very much in place.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Use tritones for fills, lol

Nah, arpeggiating chords and maybe some improvised licks can work well for fills.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
As well as the stuff people have already said, maybe try and find a passing/joining note (I don't know if that's a real term) between the two root which you play just before the second root.

For example if you're playing under the chords C, Em, G then you could play C (then your arpeggio or fill if you wanted) then on the last beat of the C measure switch to D, then hit E on the first measure of Em then on the last measure hit F, the land on G for the G chord.

The joining notes don't have to be a note in between the two roots, eg. if you were playing under C, G, then you could use a as the joining note.

Also, there doesn't have to just be one joing note. Again, if you had C, G playing on guitar you could go up the scale in quaver on the last two beats, so the joining notes would effectively be D, E and F.
I would learn the chords, and use the fourths, fifths, sevenths, and octaves of the chords. I played in a punk band, that was boring, til I learned to follow the drums and bounce a fourth down and back up and simple things like that. I they use power chords, find out which chords sound minor cause power chords lack a third, the major/minor factor in the chord and rely on context to set the tone.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Use notes that sound good. This can be done through arpeggios, scales, outside notes, whatever you want really. I would suggest starting with arpeggios.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by SilverDark
Use tritones for fills, lol

Hahahahahahahah

I haven't laughed out loud like that before. Ever.