I have been working on finger independance and I have noticed that my right middle finger and ring finger have hardly any independence. I use a 2 finger picking technique and I have noticed that my ring finger always moves with my middle finger when I play. Is this ok, or is it a bad habit?
It's detrimental if you want to use 3 fingers for picking.

When I started out, what I did was place my hand flat on the table. I would then lift each finger off the table and hold it for 30 seconds, trying not to move any other fingers. Over time, this helped me "break" my ring finger from the middle finger, and eventually my little finger from my ring finger.
That may not be a bad thing. I don't seem to do that, but if it sounds okay then hey: You're playing in your own personal style. =]
Bass:
Aria Pro II SB-900 (wa)
100W Stinger Bass Amp
Break your index finger and try to play with your middle and ring for a while. It'll really help :p

But if you don't happen to break your right index finger anytime soon, here's what you can do. Every so often, when you're playing an easy song with a steady rhythm try to not use your index finger and maybe even avoid your middle finger too. You could even tape them together. This will force you to strengthen and mobilize your ring finger.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by greekorican5
I have been working on finger independance and I have noticed that my right middle finger and ring finger have hardly any independence. I use a 2 finger picking technique and I have noticed that my ring finger always moves with my middle finger when I play. Is this ok, or is it a bad habit?

I think as long as it isn't getting in your way. I know what you're talking about my ring finger does it too, if you actually watch videos of bass players like Cliff you can see the same thing happens with his ring and pinky. I suppose if it is getting in your way or impairing you, then do what everyone else is saying by 'breaking' it out, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's detrimental if you want to use 3 fingers for picking.

When I started out, what I did was place my hand flat on the table. I would then lift each finger off the table and hold it for 30 seconds, trying not to move any other fingers. Over time, this helped me "break" my ring finger from the middle finger, and eventually my little finger from my ring finger.

I think I might try this. My fingers are jerks and can't do anything on their own.
I immobilized my pinky and ring finger by taping them with some duct tape to my palm so I can only move my picking fingers. It feels like I'm learning to pick all over again. Timing is off, and I only worked up to about 65bpm. This is frustrating...
try playing with all 4 fingers for a while, thats how i play and they are all totally independent, i dont mean play like that forever just play like that in tell you break the habit
might I suggest buying a cheapo 2nd hand keyboard and learning the keys? that's what I'm doing justnow and it's improved my reach, strength and finger independence.

Also, means I can now play a bit of keys! (though I'm still gash).
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 28, 2009,
whenever i play something easy i actually fist-in my ring and pinky finger and i dont have much problem with my finger independance. I also suggest using different excercises like what deleriumbassist said. Or tapping down your index and middle sometimes. Also try using hand excersizers. This will help your independance and help build speed and endurence
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Most people have that problem. I use one of those Grip Masters. You can pick one up at guitar center. It helps you utilize each finger seperately and build of independence and strength.

They can also aggravate problems in the hand, including tendonitis and CTS- Anarkee's husband's doctor and my father's physiotherapist agree.

In the long run, the best way to build up independance and strength is by using your instrument. The method I described above was a fix for me before I really started playing.
I started doing some finger exercises similar to the one you suggested during class. After only 2 days I definitely notice an improvement. Its great for killing time and making a class period feel shorter.

I used to have one of those hand exercisers. I was on a dead sprint during lacrosse practice and got hit from the side. I put my left hand down and fell really hard on my wrist. It wasn't broken, but to this day my wrist is still tight and not as flexible as it used to be. The hand exerciser aggravates my wrist quite a bit.
I have been trying to play with my ring and pinky fisted in so that they do not move. This is really frustrating, and my hand tenses up alot. I have also been doing finger independence exercises. My picking is so much slower and so much sloppier. Is this something worth doing, If I was better the other way? Is my old technique considered a bad habit? I do not intend to learn 3 finger technique.
Last edited by greekorican5 at Mar 4, 2009,
do you really need to use three fingers to play bass, I can do pretty fast fills with 2. I just don't see how 3 would make it easier?
Quote by brianmoorebass
do you really need to use three fingers to play bass, I can do pretty fast fills with 2. I just don't see how 3 would make it easier?

I think it helps with string skipping, even more so when its pretty damn fast string skipping.

But the idea is that you'd be going quite a bit faster than with 2 fingers once you've gotten 3 or even 4 finger plucking down.

Also, if you play songs from Iron Maiden alot it'll probably help with the triplets that are everywhere ... always seemed like such a hassle to play any of Harris' bass lines without it.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."