So, finally I have been able to actually "really" compose something half-way decent. I can't believe I got myself to tab out some riffs and notate the synth/keyboard stuff. Sorry that was a quick rant.

The song is titled "The Gardener and His Rose" and is basically a slow tempo love (and death) song themed around Sam and Rosie from Lord of the Rings. If you can get passed the cliche LOTR theme and enjoy ambient music, violins, strings, and such feel free to give this a listen. Its in my profile.

I will return the favor of commenting one of your songs if you give me a meaningful analysis of my song. Thanks!
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Last edited by Ulalume at Mar 1, 2009,
i really, really like this piece! i like the voices, how it's subtle, but you know it's there. it adds some tension, like a darker feeling. i didn't really like the silence at about 2:36-2:42. i was getting into the song, just thinking, and it stops for a bit. it's cool how the voices come in louder after that, i liked them. they are louder than the rest of the mix, they really jump out at you, at like 3:00 in. i wish i could give you a more detailed crit, but i don't really have anything else to add. epic song! 10/10, i love it. this could be on a movie soundtrack. what are some of your influences? i'm kinda looking to add to my ambient collection.

c4c? trippy riff here's trippy riff. that's my newest. my music's in my sig and profile.
Thanks for your response. That silence is also a concern for me, and I am trying to figure out how to work with it. The song is supposed to come in "two sections" so to speak. The first half (prior to silence) is in C major and then after it is in Am to similulate my idea of love (in C) and death (in Am). There are a lot of intricasies like that that make some things not fully make sense.

As far as my influences, I honestly don't really listen to ambient music but love the concept of it. The closest I come is some good doom metal. Hell, I myself basically only listen to black, doom, and death metal so this came as a bizzar change for me.

Wow...I wasn't expecting that. I can honestly say that was actually beautiful, especially the subtle chord changes on the intro. It's almost classical. So far, my only complaint is the overly cheesy sound of the 80s synth strings, but the solo isntrument is beautiful (I can't actually tell what it is). Dude, cut out the metal vocals. It completely ruins the song.

I think you should cut out metal and start making stuff like this. It was beautiful until the vocals =[

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078395
The solo instrument being my midi violin? haha. I did not want to mention it is midi because that would turn off many people, but I think its effective. The strings are all I got, as well. They are somewhat crappy because my synth is only 100 dollars.

I dont see how those vocals are metal, either. They're just whispered.

Pretty dope. What did you use to record it? Great composition, really enjoyed it. Thanks for checking mine out.

Cheers,
J
I love it! Thinking in context of the LOTR setting the music seems to fit beautifully. I adore the (I'm presuming) major to minor chord change in the backing. Sounds a bit like a classical piece I can't think of the name of.. possibly one of Vivaldis? Very well put together as well with some very interesting melodies going throughout. The gollum/smeagol bit is possibly a little too distracting for my tastes, I'd have either left it out or had it lower in the mix... good work though, very much enjoyed it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079971

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at mine, that would be rather lovely of you

James
"Gravity... always... wins..."
I used a lined in Boss me-30 pedal, with my keyboard/synth for the strings. I then downloaded some VSTs and composed a midi file for the violins. The mic was also lined in through the Boss me-30, since I have no other gear. Thanks for the comments!