With Easter coming up soon, I'm not sure what I should ask for. I'm thinking either the MXR EVH Flanger, or MXR 10 Band EQ. I play a lot of Van Halen, so I'm sure the flanger would come in handy, but I'd also like to fine tune my sound a little more. So what would you guys recommend?
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
you get presents on easter ?

anyway, i'd go for the EQ personally. flangers are fun but they get old quick.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Go for the EQ. Flangers get lame quick and I personally am not the kind of guy who wants to fill my pedal board with stupid ****.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by nightraven
presents at easter?

Yeah man I'm kinda spoiled

I think it's a good idea to get a nice flanger, and a cheaper EQ... has anyone tried the Ibanez AF 2 Paul Gilbert Flanger?
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Quote by trutrojan8
Yeah man I'm kinda spoiled

I think it's a good idea to get a nice flanger, and a cheaper EQ... has anyone tried the Ibanez AF 2 Paul Gilbert Flanger?

I have the Danelectro fish n chips 7 band EQ that sounds great, and is only $30 bucks.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Go for the EQ. Flangers get lame quick and I personally am not the kind of guy who wants to fill my pedal board with stupid ****.

flangers arn't stupid ****.

get what ever you want, but since you're spoiled....ask for both!
I have both.
I use the EQ a hell of a lot more than the Flanger.
I'm sure you'll find the same of just about everyone who has both pedals.
Get the EQ...you can also use it as a boost to give you more distortion.
You use the EQ more, flangers are fun but won't get quite as much use. Go with usability over fun first, although some will say otherwise, the 200 i spent on my Whammy could have been used better (not that I don't like it, there's just other stuff that i'd use so much more)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Here's what I did:

-Got the MXR 10 Band EQ, super high quality and really the best eq out there as far as I can tell
- Than picked up a Boss BF-2 Flanger from my brothers friend, you can get one on ebay for around 50 bucks buy it now all the time

I think thats the best way to go, to be honest the MXR Flanger (especially the EVH one) isn't the way to go, sure its better than the Boss, but its like 170 bucks new, and you won't use flanger all too much

and if you do get the MXR, I would strongly recommend that you get the standard and not the EVH, the only bonuses are the paint job and a button that gives you a supposed EVH setting
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I hate to be the one that gives that dreaded "third option" but what about the BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter? I was torn between the PH-3 and the BF-3 (BOSS's Flanger) last Christmas. When I decided to ask about it here, they said go for the Shifter, it does about the same as the Flanger and gives you more sound options and versatility.

So I'd say try the PH-3, but if I had to pick between the two choices it'd be the Flanger, as I have yet to figure out how to productively work with an EQ.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Snap017
I hate to be the one that gives that dreaded "third option" but what about the BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter? I was torn between the PH-3 and the BF-3 (BOSS's Flanger) last Christmas. When I decided to ask about it here, they said go for the Shifter, it does about the same as the Flanger and gives you more sound options and versatility.

So I'd say try the PH-3, but if I had to pick between the two choices it'd be the Flanger, as I have yet to figure out how to productively work with an EQ.

Sorry but the BF-2 kills the newer BF-3

and a way better phaser is the MXR Phase 90
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I prefer the MRX Flanger over thEVH flanger I also have the MRX 10band eq I love them both, but you may want to get the eq first if you want to improve your sound. Try the eq BBE Sonic Maximizer and a good noise gate either boss or mxr, you wil get the sound that you want with those in your effects loop.
For what it is worth, I would say the EQ, unless you are really happy with your current tone. I have a flanger and rarely use it, I think it is more of a novelty. YMMV though if you want the Van Halen sound.