Should I downgrade ?

I have a marshall dsl100 head which I don't think I'm using to its full potential.
It also doesnt sound how I think it should do - could be the valves need changing but I'm not sure. Anyone help me out with eq settings just for way of comparison?

Anyways - I'm thinking maybe I should go down to maybe a good SS head (i believe there is such a thing). It'll be lighter enabling me to take it to practices/gigs which I dont with the DSL. It will be cheaper (to run and maintain) and also I wont have to deal with all the maintenance that comes with a valve head (dos and donts).

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that'd be great. I play mostly hard/classic rock with sprinkles of punk and metal. Also like a good clean tone.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Adam
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
your current amp would walk over any solid state if the sound has become crap then you should look at changing your valves
Quote by britishsligean
your current amp would walk over any solid state if the sound has become crap then you should look at changing your valves

Depends on what you're after really. For example a JC120-H would probably blow that Marshall's clean channel out of the water.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Yeah, but he's playing hard rock, punk, and metal. Honestly, I'd stick with the DSL100. It'll sound much better than any solid state. You might need a valve change if it sounds crappy, like, the other guy said.
You want a combo?

You might just want to get a DSL50
If you don't like the sound of your amp I'd consider a new one. I'm not a fan of the JCM2000s, I think they sound like crap. I think something like a tranyor YCV50 blue would do you well for marshall tones. It has a great clean channel and should be able to do metal with an overdrive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The Traynor is a good choice, either that or something like a Classic 50. It's easy to get Marshall sounds out of both.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Yeah, not liking the 2000's here myself, ummmmm, personaly, i'd sell it, buy an 800/900 and get a 2x12 cab, easier to move than a combo
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Its not that I'm a fan of the 'marshall sound' really. I'm not striving for it I mean.
I imagine the amp would blow my mind if i replaced the tubes etc. I guess I'll give that a whirl before I make any rash decisions.
Cheers guys
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40