Are Palm muting and finger muting a same? Because I can't finger mute good and I'm not even sure I'm doing right or getting the right sound. I actually doubt I am on both and I can't find a good lesson on youtube or no where.
no they're not the same. when you finger mute, you put your fretting hand over the strings and stop them from vibrating.
palm muting is when you put your picking hand on the strings over the sadle, so you get that muffled tone, like in most heavy metal
No.

You finger mute by lightly pressing the tips of your fingers on the strings so that no noise is made, this is done with the fretting hand.

You palm mute with your picking hand. This is done by lighting resting your hand on the strings with your palm (or the bottom of your hand) to cut out some noise, but not all of it. This is used to dampen the sound or make a short chugging sound. Try doing this by putting your hand on the bridge and having it carry over slightly onto the strings.

Good luck practising!
Damn, well anyone know where I can find a good lesson on them? Preferably a video if possible?

I'm not looking for palm muting Im looking for finger muting.
Last edited by RAAAGE at Feb 28, 2009,
You won't find a particullarly good video, as the camera won't show youw you waht the palm is doing. Try searching 'palm muting' on youtube is the best I could say.
Quote by EL2T
You won't find a particullarly good video, as the camera won't show youw you waht the palm is doing. Try searching 'palm muting' on youtube is the best I could say.

I know how to palm mute already.... I need finger muting lessons.
Well, finger muting is basicaly lightly having your fingers on the strings. Ex. Playing a chord then taking off the pressure but keeping your fingers there to get that muted chuck sound.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]