See the following two pics:

Brand new, neck cracked epiphone lp specal II. Found it on ebay cause its left handed, which its so hard to find lefty guitar anywhere. Think it could be fixed by glue or just better to order a new neck for it and transfer the tuners to the new neck.
Wood glue, indeed.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I've had a headstock/neck split in one of mine for years. Good glue holds it but I went the long way and screwed it together while it set and then filled the holes. You can see the join but no other problems.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by GeToChKn
Brand new, neck cracked epiphone lp specal II. Found it on ebay cause its left handed, which its so hard to find lefty guitar anywhere. Think it could be fixed by glue or just better to order a new neck for it and transfer the tuners to the new neck.
maybe neither. this neck is fucked six ways to sunday. you have multiple cracks. i doubt you'll ever get this thing to be structurally sound. glue and clamps are cheap, though. won't hurt to try.

it's a cheap Chinese guitar. do you really want to invest in a new neck? that could be more costly than just buying a similar guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Opps, meant to say I saw it on ebay, haven't bought it yet. Just curious as to whats involved in fixing stuff like this. only two leftys on there like that are

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140304047174 and http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380107172130

Thought it may a cheap way to get a lefty. Considering doing my own build too at some point. I'm fed up with the limited selections of lefty guitars. lol. Got a Yamaha RGX right now thats strung upside down cause its a righty model as have most of my guitars been my whole life. Always end up with someones beat up righty.
That looks a bit to damaged to be a good neck ever again. If you were getting it for next to nothing maybe. Im gonna imagine with epi the individual parts bought seperately would be 5 or 6 times the cost of a complete guitar. And there arent alot of aftermarket replacement necks for bolt neck epis and no lefties, how much demand is there for lefty neck swaps on those guitars. The neck pocket isnt going to fit anything else.
As I said above, I meant to say I haven't gotten it, I just it on ebay and no ones bid on it yet, so if it goes cheap, Would it be worth getting? Would the neck pocket be the same as a normal LP or are the epi's different? I have a friend who is going to sell me a standard LP neck he bought for a project but then never used it for cheap. Besides the nut and dot's, how different would a lefty and righty neck on a LP style guitar be?
The only real difference in many lefty righty necks is the side dots would be on the wrong side as its a 3+3 tuner set up. Now a strat obviously the headstock and tuners are backwards. And you would need a lefty nut. But a "standard" LP neck is not going to fit. A standard LP neck is a set neck and was never made to be used in a bolt neck set up and would be hard to modify for use in the special model. Look around at what a replacement neck will cost then go from there.
Hhmm, honestly it looks like too many cracks to be worth your time.
If its a nice clean break, then its easy, but I see like 3 different cracks and all different directions... too much splintering, it may just be better to look elsewhere
Ok, thanks everything. Did anyone take a look at the schechter one in the link I posted above thats broken at the base of the neck and body?

I know finding a neck for that things out of the question, they're wide fret boards and a lefty too. Fix it, maybe.

Just trying to get myself a decent lefty guitar for cheap. If I hit my 5way switch or bump a volume knob on my right handed strung upside again, I'll loose it. lol.
Last edited by GeToChKn at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by POWERMETAL!
neck brakes on a LP easy fix, should be cheap too.

Did you see in the pics where it cracked in 2 spots? That still glueable? I know its hard without seeing it, which makes it hard for me too cause I don't want to order it from ebay without knowing it could be fixed cheap but its hard to know that without having it. Its brand new and only at like $20 right now so if it doesn't go much higher, I'd grab it just to have a lefty guitar to work with for now. Throw my EMG 85 in there for starters. Half the people say can't fix it, half say it can be fixed. I don't know. lol. I just know I've been playing right handed guitars strung upside off and on for 20 years and I'm sick of it. lol. Got so many hand-me-down guitars that work good but the damn knobs are always in my way. I'm also in Canada so although everyone says those are cheap guitars, its still hard to get a cheap lefty up here. We don't have huge chain music stores having 40% blowout sales all the time. Shipping anywhere online is gonna cost me, plus exchange rate. So it may only be a $300 guitar, then $100 shipping to Canada, 15-15% exchange rate, duty at the border, I'm at 500-600 for a $300 guitar, so thats why I'm looking as cheap as I can right now.
Quote by GeToChKn
Did you see in the pics where it cracked in 2 spots? That still glueable? I know its hard without seeing it, which makes it hard for me too cause I don't want to order it from ebay without knowing it could be fixed cheap but its hard to know that without having it. Its brand new and only at like $20 right now so if it doesn't go much higher, I'd grab it just to have a lefty guitar to work with for now. Throw my EMG 85 in there for starters. Half the people say can't fix it, half say it can be fixed. I don't know. lol. I just know I've been playing right handed guitars strung upside off and on for 20 years and I'm sick of it. lol. Got so many hand-me-down guitars that work good but the damn knobs are always in my way. I'm also in Canada so although everyone says those are cheap guitars, its still hard to get a cheap lefty up here. We don't have huge chain music stores having 40% blowout sales all the time. Shipping anywhere online is gonna cost me, plus exchange rate. So it may only be a $300 guitar, then $100 shipping to Canada, 15-15% exchange rate, duty at the border, I'm at 500-600 for a $300 guitar, so thats why I'm looking as cheap as I can right now.

It seems unlikely to me that it will ever be as stable as it was before it broke. When Gibson headstocks usually break, it's not too tough of a fix since it breaks where it should have had a scarf joint in the first place. They're just poorly designed.

This is much more complicated because of the cracks running up and down the neck (headstock->heel direction). The ones across the neck might be fixable, but the extra cracks complicate it. The only tried-and-true way to find out is to actually attempt to fix it.

Your best bet is to try and buy a guitar with problems you know are fixable, like electronics problems, or missing parts.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer