whenever i play guitar it seems i do some chromatic warm ups then all i do is play songs over and over, but this is driving me to play guitar less and less. dont get me wrong i know scales and some music theory but when i try to make riffs they either sound the same or there not what im looking for. help
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
was on your profile, kill the games. I was a gamer and I only played about 1 hour a day but after i killed the games or atleast how much a cared for them I would play like atleast 3 hours. Plus if you reletiveley new to guitar its normal to have those dry times where you cant come up with anything. Just dont quite I bet ina week or so you'll be able to come up with something.
yeah i have the same problems man, but just keep going and you get something eventually
yeah i am but the stuff i make gets repetative so it annoys meh
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
try listening to a new style of music. maybe in your case something heavier, you will supprised at what you might be able to come up with. By heavier I mean, I dono maybe Lamb Of God after hearing some of those riffs I can make stuff up that sounds like it alot. Or try PanterA, Dime was such and amazing guitarist that his riffs will teach you so much
ive made this song and ive been adding parts every so often but i keep coming up with bluesy solos which i do not want, i want a bullet for my valentine-ish solo. due to me knowing a couple of scales my improv is really bluesy. anyone know any scales that would help make my improv more metalish?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
My advice is get a chart that has all the chords, power chords, and scales. That might help you get off just doing covers and help you start making your own music.

(Once I get my electric I've sworn to avoid learning tabs unless I REALLY feel I need to play something or I'll lose my sanity. Nopthing but practising scales, chords, and power chords for me for awhile)
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by t0m_r0cks
ive made this song and ive been adding parts every so often but i keep coming up with bluesy solos which i do not want, i want a bullet for my valentine-ish solo. due to me knowing a couple of scales my improv is really bluesy. anyone know any scales that would help make my improv more metalish?

Try harmonic minor, melodic minor, and minor.

Also to answer your initial question, don't limit your spectrum to certain genres of music. Make your playing more interesting, learn new techniques to spice up your playing like pinch harmonics and sweep picking. I think it's also a great idea to collaborate with other musicians. It may motivate you to practice more and to be more creative.
i play in drop c so chords may be hard to play. btw are all metal songs minor? i think they are so would learning modes and focusing on the minor mode/s (cant remember if there is more than one minor mode) help?
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
im working on pinch harmonics and sweeping although im having trouble cleaning them up. but tomorow ill definetly look up those scales cos its getting late in the uk :]
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Chords really aren't that difficult to play with drop tunings. If you figure out how triads are formed, you'll quickly be able to play chords all over the neck, regardless of tuning.
(not to mention, learning how triads are formed will help immensely when improvising especially with sweep picking)

Not all metal songs are written in minor keys, but many, if not most, are.