Page 1 of 2
ok i bought a floyd rose thinking the DOUBLE LOCKING system would keep my strat in tune better, plus i could do all the sweet whammy stuff i wanted to do without dramatically getting out of tune. Well the result of getting a floyd rose is now my guitar is NEVER in tune. the bridge is leveled with the body the strings have been stretched I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Well you need to check if your locking nut is working properly too usually if you play a note then press the string above the nut. If you hear the note change then you need to fix your locking nut.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
on mine the strings went out of tune when i locked the nut, but you just fix that with the rose.
Did you get the guitar set up properly? Lots of players give the same story as yours, and the guitar wasn't set up properly. Just tossing this out, not sure if you did it already. I have a FR HM Strat that's 20 years old, and it stays in tune perfectly.
a floyd rose almost broke my finger while re-strining for a friend ..the whammy bar slipped but caught it in the last half second ..

and about losing tune .. it's probably the locking nut
unless you've played around with the screws of the main bridge ..
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Well you need to check if your locking nut is working properly too usually if you play a note then press the string above the nut. If you hear the note change then you need to fix your locking nut.

just tried it its not the nut
Are you using an Original Floyd, a Schaller Floyd, or a licensed Floyd?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I would recommend either getting a pro to set it up or doing a full setup yourself and see if that will solve your issue, I have an Edge 3 even though it gets alot of hate here mine stays in tune perfectly after I had it setup by a local tech.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by tonepro
Did you get the guitar set up properly? Lots of players give the same story as yours, and the guitar wasn't set up properly. Just tossing this out, not sure if you did it already. I have a FR HM Strat that's 20 years old, and it stays in tune perfectly.

the dude set it up amazingly. i ended up trying another tuning with the guitar and thats when the problem started. I have evened out the tension between strings and screws in the back though so i dont know what it is.
Quote by SquierLolz
worn knife edges

This could be as well, especially if it goes out of tune when you bend or use the trem
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
are the knife edges properly leveled with the body of the guitar? that's another reason too.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SHRED.
are knife edges the two screws that lock the bridge to the body?

no those are the posts
like this

the knife edged are on the sides of the bridge, it's where it pivots on the posts.
these are it

if you notice one is curved. that's to prevent the bridge from shifting left and right

make sure the knife edges are parallel to the body, don't worry if the bridge itself is at and angle, what matters is that the knife edges are parallel like this:

Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by SHRED.
the dude set it up amazingly. i ended up trying another tuning with the guitar and thats when the problem started. I have evened out the tension between strings and screws in the back though so i dont know what it is.

You probably didn't fix the tension correctly.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
You probably didn't fix the tension correctly.

i didn't read that post. but that's probably the problem.

it's hard to go to a different tuning when on a floyd because of all the adjustment the bridge needs to be fully functional.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
yeah one side is not leveled correctly but the otherside is. how can i make them both leveled?
turn the screws in the back of the guitar that match the side that isn't leveled. because of the delicate balance, you will probably end up un-leveling the leveled side a tiny bit.

as you can see, the claw on top is a bit slanted but that's because one side required more tension from the springs. now both sides are leveled even though the springs seem a bit crooked.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 28, 2009,
alright sounds like a pretty simple but tedious fix. thanks a lot everyone who put some input.
yeah no problem.

i think i'm actually THEE only one that enjoys tuning a floyd.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
yeah no problem.

i think i'm actually THEE only one that enjoys tuning a floyd.

im here for you, brother.
i enjoy it myself too.

once your floyd is set up properly and you can do almsot anything with it without it going out of tune it becomes quite a pleasure to work with.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
im here for you, brother.
i enjoy it myself too.

once your floyd is set up properly and you can do almsot anything with it without it going out of tune it becomes quite a pleasure to work with.

nice

sometimes i find myself changing tunings just so i can readjust the bridge and reassure myself of it's awesomeness
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
the moral of the story is, unless you really know what your doing
DONT **** AROUND WITH THE BACK OF YOUR FLOYD!
In a soundcheck there's never too much guitar. Just not enough of all the other instruments.

Quote by skwelcher
i dont think theres any reason to buy a gibson when you can buy an epi that looks the same
Quote by SomebodySomeone
nice

sometimes i find myself changing tunings just so i can readjust the bridge and reassure myself of it's awesomeness

i really dont explore outside of standard, my problem is changing strings sometimes twice a month.

it was a habit i had to get into when i was breaking my high E on 9s, so id change the whole set of strings. now i used 10s and 11s with no problems, but i still change them just as much
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
well if you change gauges then you'll definitely need adjustment.

once your guitar is setup for a certain gauge, you can replace old strings for new ones(same gauge of course) without a need for adjustment.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
ok so im pretty sure my knife edges are worn. i can't do trills or flutters with my whammy bar ugh this is so frustrating. is there anyway to fix this or do i HAVE TO WASTE MORE MONEY
let me get this straight...
you bought a floyd rose expecting to put it into your stratocaster that is not routed for an FR? why the hell didnt you just get a super vee?!?!?!? why didnt you ask UG BEFORE you went to all this trouble?!?!? a super vee fits right into your stratocaster, a monkey could install it!!!
Quote by SHRED.
ok so im pretty sure my knife edges are worn. i can't do trills or flutters with my whammy bar ugh this is so frustrating. is there anyway to fix this or do i HAVE TO WASTE MORE MONEY

What do you mean by you cant do them? What is actually happening?
do you have pics?
this will help us help you.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by littlephil
What do you mean by you cant do them? What is actually happening?

i read that if you cant do flutters with your floyd rose the knife edges are worn.
Quote by SHRED.
i read that if you cant do flutters with your floyd rose the knife edges are worn.

being able to flutter has nothing to do with the knife edges, at least to my knowledge. some trems are better at doing the flutter, others not so much, you'll know when your knife edges need sharpening when you can't stay in tune for ****.

http://www.super-vee.com
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SHRED.

Yes, but what is actually happening when you try to flutter?
nothing the tremolo arm is loose and you cant do really sensitive vibratos only like dives
well that's just the arm then, nothing to do with the trem itself.\

have you adjusted the bridge like i mentioned before? does it stay in tune?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Page 1 of 2