Ok, so I'm sitting in my room, looking at my newly-arrived Ashdown MAG 600R, and thinking about jumping in front of a horse carriage because I don't have any cabs for it, when an idea entered my head for a brief millisecond. TECHNICALLY, I have a speaker. It may be contained within my SWR LA15 cab, but by golly, it's a speaker.

So this got me thinking - what would happen if indeed I plugged into my Ashdown head, and then OUT from the Ashdown into the input for the SWR combo? It is important to note that the Ashdown is 575 watts, while the SWR is 100.

So, who can tell me?

I'd like to assure you that I am not going to try this. I like my equipment too much to do that.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
ant you disconnect the speaker from the amp in the SWr combo then connect the ashdown head to the speaker minus the amp??
Quote by WhyLater
Ok, so I'm sitting in my room, looking at my newly-arrived Ashdown MAG 600R, and thinking about jumping in front of a horse carriage because I don't have any cabs for it, when an idea entered my head for a brief millisecond. TECHNICALLY, I have a speaker. It may be contained within my SWR LA15 cab, but by golly, it's a speaker.

So this got me thinking - what would happen if indeed I plugged into my Ashdown head, and then OUT from the Ashdown into the input for the SWR combo? It is important to note that the Ashdown is 575 watts, while the SWR is 100.

So, who can tell me?

I'd like to assure you that I am not going to try this. I like my equipment too much to do that.

curiosity killed the cat
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Well, if you ran it in the effects loop you might bypass the eq and be able to use the mag. Effect out into Mag and then line out returning. You cant use the outputs into the SWR inout s you would be poushing a load through your SR preamp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
if the impedance and maximum wattage of the speaker is compatible with your ashdown, then you're fine.

if it isn't, then it's screwed.

edit: i just realised you weren't talking about disconnection the speaker. but yeah, i'm pretty sure the results wouldn't be good.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Last edited by Baarmy_Sheep at Feb 28, 2009,
Well from others answers, you would have to disconnect your speaker, get a jack, rewire the speaker, get a speaker cable. And this is all presuming you speaker can handle 300 watts and more at 8 ohms.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Ha, no no people, I'm not talking about disconnecting the speaker... BASICALLY I was wondering what happens when you out one amp into another amp. Merely curiosity.
Quote by fatgoogle
Well, if you ran it in the effects loop you might bypass the eq and be able to use the mag. Effect out into Mag and then line out returning. You cant use the outputs into the SWR inout s you would be poushing a load through your SR preamp.

Now this is really interesting me right now. This would really work? I could basically use the MAG as a Rackmountable EQ? Wouldn't the fact that it pushes 575 watts make that not work somehow?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

if you do try it keep the volume down and don't use the speaker out on the ashdown or normal input on the swr. use the effect out on your ashdown and the effects in on your swr. This will provide protection for your amps. The only thing that can possible sustain damage is the speaker then. That's why i say keep it quiet. still lets you play with your new toy.

I once ran a preamp out into the normal input of an amp. trying to daisy chain to get both combos to work. They both worked...for a while. then the signal blew out the preamp in the second amp because the preamp out was too strong a signal for those little electronics to handle.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Feb 28, 2009,
Plug your bass into the input of the SWR. Take a lead from the effect out into the inout of the mag. Take a lead from the line out of the MAG and into the effect return of the SWR. The onlt way 575watts comes into play is if you use the Outputs in the back of the mag, which you dont want to do.

This also depends on whether your efeects loop bypass's your eq on the SWR, set the eq to neutral anywya.

I also dont have any speakers for my Mag 600R yet, but am biulding them as we speak. Im using a mixer into two sets of external computer speakers.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Feb 28, 2009,
do not. i repeat do not plug an effect out or preamp out into a normal bass input. Just thought i'd repeat that. don't want any damage here.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Doesnt it depend on how much signal get put out, if its less then 20db from the effects loop it should be fine. If its more i dont think it would be safe. It will say in your SWR manual.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Ok, well, I tried it because I couldn't wait anymore.

And it sounded great.

I kept it really quiet, just because I'm paranoid, but loud enough to get some kind of tone. And I only played for like 5 minutes. And I probably won't do it again. But, no damage.

Thanks everyone, this was fun.

Ooh, EDIT: Fatgoogle, tell me more about the speaker setup you're building!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

A ported reflex 1x15 bass cab loaded with a fane 15. Maybe you saw the really long thread. Im also going to make a 2x10 with a tweeter to go on top. I was originally getting a peavey tvx 4x10 but then the seller said it would cost an extra 125 to ship it, im working on getting my money back, hes struggling to refund me.

What cab are getting for your MAG.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Revelation
I once ran a preamp out into the normal input of an amp. trying to daisy chain to get both combos to work. They both worked...for a while. then the signal blew out the preamp in the second amp because the preamp out was too strong a signal for those little electronics to handle.

I did the exact same thing with my little Hartke combo...poor thing. I miss it.
Nope, no sig here.