I found a store near me recently that had these in stock, and quickly discovered that the top string (low E) was thicker than anything Ernie Ball even MADE. Since I play metal, that fact up there made me REALLY want to get them. So I did.

FIRST THOUGHTS: I get back to the house, grab my string winder, and get to work. As I took the low E out of it's paper package, the only thought in my head was "WOAH THAT'S BIG.". These strings mean business. Seriously, don't get on their bad side.

After about 10 minutes I had the Schecter restrung, and tuned it into Drop C. I played for about 5 minutes, anticipating the strings going out of tune because they were new. I was WRONG. I don't know if I got lucky or if Dunlop designed them that way, but these things wouldn't drop their tuning! It was great!

SOUND: The .10-.60 strings are GREAT if you're looking to play hard rock, metal, jazz, or anything else with overdrive and/or distortion. What is NOT so great is that they're for electric guitars only, so acoustic players should veer away. They sound great when played clean though, but you'll definitely get the best use out of these if you want that heavy, overdriven, distorted "punch" of hard rock/metal thunder you may be looking for.

DURABILITY: It's fantastic. I'll honestly be surprised if I ever manage to break the E, A, D, or G strings from the .10-.60's. Although the treble strings (B and e) are just a little larger than normal (B= .17 and e= .10; EB Super Slinkys are .15 and .9), and that took getting used to, but otherwise they should last a while.

PLAYABILITY: Great. I can solo just as easily if not easier with these strings (the bigger strings means less travel from open to fretted, I guess XD) and chugging runs and rhythm parts are a breeze.

OVERALL, I'd give the Zakk Wylde .10-.60 electric guitar strings an 9/10. 1.0 off for not having any for acoustics or basses. (because acoustic players may want thicker strings too?)

I hope this review helped you narrow your search for the best strings!
-- Snap017
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Can't this go in the review section?
Good review though
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
thanks. thank you so much for reviewing these strings in terms of their sound and durability. .... and likeliness to work with an acoustic guitar
Umm just to let everyone know it's not a great idea to just go and grab a set of the thickest strings you can find especially after using super-slinkys without having some truss rod adjustments being made.
Quote by Snap017
1.0 off for not having any for acoustics or basses.

fail
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I'm wondering...what's the point of having a ridiculously heavy low E when the higher strings are still too thin to be downtuned?
I'm not cool.
Quote by Jhachey22

fail

I'd say the fact that they EXIST is a fail.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I just went and bought these strings a couple days ago and i love them. Compared to the heavy bottom EBs I'd say they are pretty similar. Most people might want to stick to the EBs for reliability, but I still suggest trying these out! These strings really allowed me to play triplets and gallops much easier. They have a nice sound to them with the reverb on just a tiny bit and overdrive.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
Acoustic strings are already thick by default. I don't think I've ever seen acoustic strings below .011.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Acoustic strings are already thick by default. I don't think I've ever seen acoustic strings below .011.

I've seen .10 but thats the lowest. And you don't see lots of them. Honestly though? that looks like a pretty standard set. I can't believe they'd throw wylde's name on acoustic strings. I mean, honestly.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Are people REALLY reviewing guitar strings these days? They're ****ing strings.

Wow.

And also, what's funny to me, someone commenting on the durability of a set of strings that they just recently restrung.
Quote by al112987

Wow.

And also, what's funny to me, someone commenting on the durability of a set of strings that they just recently restrung.

+1

You can't know the durability of something if you haven't even had a chance to wear it out.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Just buy some Rotosound's and be happy.

/marketing.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by al112987

Maybe you just underestimate the effect a set of strings can have on your tone/playing? I for one found this review quite useful.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by Persata
Maybe you just underestimate the effect a set of strings can have on your tone/playing? I for one found this review quite useful.

Strings vary from person to person. The durability, the tone, everything about strings is unique to each person so what's true for you might not be true for somebody else, thus string reviews are mostly pointless. The only thing you can do to find strings you like is to simply try different kinds, it's not like they're that expensive and you have to replace them eventually.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Persata

I do not underestimate the effect that strings can have, but I understand that the differences between this particular set of strings and another set of strings of similar gauge (and what? different brand? different endorser?) are trivial. It's completely negilible.

Can you honestly say that this set is different enough if you went and bought 6 strings of the same gauges from say... Dean Markley or GHS, that you would honestly be able to tell a noticeable difference that you would write a meaningful review? Yeah, heavy strings sound different from lighter strings and have different effects on playing, great, basically you're reviewing heavy strings vs. lighter strings.

And another thing, if you're re-stringing a guitar that previously had broken in strings, of course the new strings are going to be brighter and punchier. It's not because you've bought some magical strings, it's because you're replacing old strings with new ones.
Quote by al112987
I do not underestimate the effect that strings can have, but I understand that the differences between this particular set of strings and another set of strings of similar gauge (and what? different brand? different endorser?) are trivial. It's completely negilible.

Can you honestly say that this set is different enough if you went and bought 6 strings of the same gauges from say... Dean Markley or GHS, that you would honestly be able to tell a noticeable difference that you would write a meaningful review? Yeah, heavy strings sound different from lighter strings and have different effects on playing, great, basically you're reviewing heavy strings vs. lighter strings.

And another thing, if you're re-stringing a guitar that previously had broken in strings, of course the new strings are going to be brighter and punchier. It's not because you've bought some magical strings, it's because you're replacing old strings with new ones.

This.

The reason new strings sound different is, duh, because they're new! They're going to be brighter than old strings and if you change gauges (like TS) then you're going to notice a difference in how they play.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Wow, you two are totally on the warpath tonight.

You're overlooking the point that the TS is posting their opinion and recommendations on something that other users might read and find useful, and so is contributing to the board. As for things differing from person to person, it's the same for every piece of guitar gear - some people prefer different things, whether it's a guitar neck or an amp, yet you don't shoot people down for reviewing those. Everything here is subjective.

The TS stated what they believed these strings are good for:

Quote by Snap017
The .10-.60 strings are GREAT if you're looking to play hard rock, metal, jazz, or anything else with overdrive and/or distortion

therefore people can read the thread and think, "Oh, perhaps I should try these, it's somewhere to start". To be honest the thread has been constructive and helpful, f.ex. read the posts above your own. Don't come in here and use it as a place to vent your frustration or whatever, this thread was better than a lot of stuff on the forum already until you decided to (somewhat) derail it.

Anyway, thanks to the TS for the review. I found this helpful because I'm looking to find a good set for downtuning.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by Persata
Wow, you two are totally on the warpath tonight.

You're overlooking the point that the TS is posting their opinion and recommendations on something that other users might read and find useful, and so is contributing to the board. As for things differing from person to person, it's the same for every piece of guitar gear - some people prefer different things, whether it's a guitar neck or an amp, yet you don't shoot people down for reviewing those. Everything here is subjective.

The TS stated what they believed these strings are good for:

therefore people can read the thread and think, "Oh, perhaps I should try these, it's somewhere to start". To be honest the thread has been constructive and helpful, f.ex. read the posts above your own. Don't come in here and use it as a place to vent your frustration or whatever, this thread was better than a lot of stuff on the forum already until you decided to (somewhat) derail it.

Anyway, thanks to the TS for the review. I found this helpful because I'm looking to find a good set for downtuning.

If he wants to post an opinion when somebody is asking questions then there's nothing wrong with that but the site has a review section for a reason, and there's a reason why people don't review strings.

The only thing about this review that anybody could apply universally is that heavier strings are good for downtuning, but that's known by most guitarists. His review is also misleading "...great for anything with overdrive/distortion" I know I wouldn't use these strings if I had to bend them in standard tuning, so he could be misguiding people looking at strings.

Lastly the reason people come here for recommendations on amps, necks, etc is because those things really do matter in your tone and playability, much more so than strings do. Obviously people want the best parts when it comes to parts that matter most, which is why we get so many questions asking about them. String threads aren't nearly as common and in those threads the best answer is always to try some out in the gauge that would suit the TS best and go from there because everybody likes different strings.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by El Codyo
Umm just to let everyone know it's not a great idea to just go and grab a set of the thickest strings you can find especially after using super-slinkys without having some truss rod adjustments being made.

To make it clear, I went from "Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms" to the ZW's. And I got the guitar set up for the STHB's, so they handle the ZW's fine.

I used the Super-Slinkys as an example because most players I actually know use them.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Jhachey22

fail

They only had electrics at the store I went to...

But 1 point off because nothing is perfect. :P

EDIT: and to Persata (the "white knight" while I was away) the ZW's will go perfect with those SD Blackouts.

Last edited by Snap017 at Feb 28, 2009,
Mate, no offence, but this is a completely bull**** review.

As I took the low E out of it's paper package, the only thought in my head was "WOAH THAT'S BIG."

My immature side had to laugh at that.

SOUND: The .10-.60 strings are GREAT if you're looking to play hard rock, metal, jazz, or anything else with overdrive and/or distortion.

Generally jazz isn't known for using distortion, and shouldn't be put in the same category as hard rock and metal. Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.

What is NOT so great is that they're for electric guitars only, so acoustic players should veer away.

I can't beleive you said this. You're reviewing electric strings, and you say it's a shame they're only for electric? That's like reviewing a pick and saying it's a shame it doesn't magically turn into a thumb-pick.

They sound great when played clean though, but you'll definitely get the best use out of these if you want that heavy, overdriven, distorted "punch" of hard rock/metal thunder you may be looking for.

\m/ METAL THUNDER! \m/

DURABILITY: blah blah blah

You've had them on for like 20 minutes, and you're reviewing durability? Give me a break.

PLAYABILITY: Great. I can solo just as easily if not easier with these strings (the bigger strings means less travel from open to fretted, I guess XD) and chugging runs and rhythm parts are a breeze.

Less travel from open to fretted? What the ****? If you actually said this seriously, then you need to pay attention to maths, science and anything else that makes you less of a dumbass.

I hope this review helped you narrow your search for the best strings!
-- Snap017

No, it didn't. Also, I'm surprised you didn't sign off this review with "rock on dudes!" or something even lamer.

Good luck with future reviews.
Quote by Jhachey22

fail

No, you fail. those are 12-54's not the 10-60's he was reviewing
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
if they're anything like Mustaine's sig GHS strings(which theysort of sound like), i don't want them.

edit: I'm not saying these are bad strings, obviously i have never tried ZW strings, but from a previous experience with a sig pack of strings, i'm a bit weary
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by TOMMYB22
No, you fail. those are 12-54's not the 10-60's he was reviewing

no, you fail. he said that there were no ZW ACOUSTIC strings availiable, and i corrected him on that.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
no, you fail. he said that there were no ZW ACOUSTIC strings availiable, and i corrected him on that.

FAIL FIGHT!
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
as much as im enjoying the fail fight, i've been using these strings on my ibanez for about 8 months, and i refuse to turn back. people are saying string brand means nothing, and i dont know that they're any different from his old GHS sigs or the dean markley "evil twin" sigs (dont quite remember his name, lol) but the biggest thing to keep in mind is that, besides the two i just named, can you name any other 10-60 electric guitar strings? also, i play in standard tuning. they arent unbendable, they just take some getting used to. it helps build up finger muscles.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by rhoadsfan92
as much as im enjoying the fail fight, i've been using these strings on my ibanez for about 8 months, and i refuse to turn back. people are saying string brand means nothing, and i dont know that they're any different from his old GHS sigs or the dean markley "evil twin" sigs (dont quite remember his name, lol) but the biggest thing to keep in mind is that, besides the two i just named, can you name any other 10-60 electric guitar strings? also, i play in standard tuning. they arent unbendable, they just take some getting used to. it helps build up finger muscles.

So the only reason you "refuse to turn back" is because they're thick strings. That doesn't say anything about these specific strings, it only pertains to the gauge, so it's possible that you could find a better set of strings if they had the same gauge as these do.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by StrangeAngel
I'm wondering...what's the point of having a ridiculously heavy low E when the higher strings are still too thin to be downtuned?

Its not about downtuning. at least for me. its about the increased tension on the bottom three for squeals and overall feel, and the ease of bending on the top three. although i disagree with the whole "still too thin to be downtuned". i had a set of 10s and i had them in B for a while and it was floppy but not unplayably so. just on the extreme edge of that delightful floppiness u get from detuning.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
Quote by StrangeAngel

I use these strings for drop A (A-E-A-D-F#-B) and they work great. Some people prefer lighter strings for downtuning(ie: Lots of people use 10-52 or 10-46 for drop B comfortably). It's a preference thing.

I prefer light as hell tops and thick as **** bottoms.

If a guitar is any good, it'll be able to handle them without twisting the neck too easily. Obviously they'll bow the neck especially if you uptune to drop C with these bottoms being so thick. Neck adjustment FTW
Over two years later, this thread is still just as ridiculous as it was back then.
I prefer new strings regardless of brand. I have yet to play on a set of strings that do not start to lose their intonation after about a week, or sometimes 3-4 days. Even when cleaned with fast fret.
A local guitar tech told me that he will change the strings for guitarist after only 2 hours of playing.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."