I know I asked this before, but I forgot or it wasn't clear enough.
Bflat, C, EFlat, F, F# G#

They're all 5th chords. I know its somewhere near c minor but the F# and G# throw that off
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
if you make the F# a Gflat, and the G# an Aflat, it's easier to figure out

and it would be the key of Gflat major, or Eflat minor
I know I can adjust to fit a certain key, but I like the way it sounds with those notes.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
But G flat major and E flat minor have Cflats....
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Bb, C, Eb, F, Gb, Ab would fit into Bb minor or Db major.
F# and G# have to be written as Gb and Ab as you don't write a note 'letter' more than once (i.e. F and F# in the same scale should be written as E# and F# or F and Gb)

IF they're all 5th 'chords' then there is a G present from the C5, which does not fit this key but could be seen as a passing note.
Okay I understood all of that, (and my mistake with repeating the letter). and is there a rule as far as "passing notes?"
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
I know this isn't widely accepted, but I see power chords as melodic, not harmonic. Since it's not even a chord, a C power chord is used to sound the note C, not the chord C.

If you accept my humble theory, you get the pitch classes he provided. They fit into C minor.
Last edited by CanCan at Feb 28, 2009,
It's Cm. All the powerchords are within the C natural minor scale and F#5 is enharmonic to Gb5, the b5 chord which is common in the heavier genres of music.
Quote by Cyberbob
Bb, C, Eb, F, Gb, Ab

those are in c minor scale?? i thot c minor was:

C, D E♭, F, G, A♭, and B♭

or that is just an exception ro something
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Quote by synystagates

or that is just an exception ro something

I would have the tendency to think of it as C-minor as well, the F#5 is a simple dyad, and you could call it a collection of passing tones, rather than a full on chord.

The real question is, what note are you calling tonic? the C? If so, then the key is clearly C-minor, regardless of how you analyze the chords.

There are many exceptions to the rules of music theory, the only real limitations are what sounds good to your ears.
Well I just thought it would be helpful to know, because I had written a solo in C Minor so I wanted to make sure. and yeah i think im using C as tonic. But the notes dont have to be exact for it to fall under that key?
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Quote by synystagates
Well I just thought it would be helpful to know, because I had written a solo in C Minor so I wanted to make sure. and yeah i think im using C as tonic. But the notes dont have to be exact for it to fall under that key?

Not at all, if you're using C as the tonic, then the Gb (and the Db in the Gb5) could be considered passing tones which you could use to bridge to other notes on weak beats.
If it sounds good, work with it.
Okay thanks. But I don't understand this passing tone thing.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Passing tones are a kind of non-chord tone. Meaning that the note you are playing is in-between two chords, and belongs to neither of them. This a quite oversimplified explanation.

In traditional western theory, we usually consider passing tones to still be diatonic (meaning inside the key), but many complex pieces of music use chromatic tones(tones that are separated by a half-step) as passing tones. This adds color to the piece, and can often imply different chords.

There is a lot more to this, but that's pretty much the basics of the passing tone.
I really dont understand that. But as long as i know its c minor thats fine. anf from now on ill find the chords in that key first and use them i guess
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
A passing-tone is exactly what the name implies: you pass through that tone on the way to a less dissonant tone.

This is something you should understand; ask questions if you do not.
Im still not getting it. and i dont know what dissonant is. or this:

Bb, C, Eb, F, Gb, Ab- my riff

Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
anyone?
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Yes, you're in C-minor. Your F#/Gb chord is just a chord your using from outside the key.

The rest of the composition should stay in C-minor.
Quote by synystagates
Im still not getting it. and i dont know what dissonant is. or this:

Bb, C, Eb, F, Gb, Ab- my riff

You're correct, C minor does not have a Gb in it. Gb is in this case a dissonant note, that very basically is a note that in the context sounds a little harsh and unpleasing. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, just that it needs to be resolved to a more pleasing note.
As for the "passing tone" it's simply when you play a note outside the scale, you should try not to overuse the note but it can be used.

In the case of your riff: Gb isn't part of the scale. Therefore it's dissonant. It then resolves to the minor 6th (Ab) and your progression is musically sound.

Does that make sense?

Edit: Of course it's possible you're playing in C# (or Db) major or A# (or Bb) minor.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Last edited by LeperAffinity at Mar 3, 2009,
thank you.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki