Page 1 of 2
What is good for $500? I don't mind Ibanez S', but the necks don't quite suit me.

I was thinking the Jackson DXMG.
There's also the Epi EM-2 FX, and the S320.
Opinions?

I play mainly Metal, and for other stuff I would have an Epi LP for... so this is really metal and shreddy stuff oriented.

Amp is a Peavey Vypyr 75.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
that Jackson guitar would be a great idea. I prefer ESP's in that price range, but it was a close call for me between buying my ESP MH53 and a Jackson Dinky in the shop. ive never liked ibanez's, the neck feels like driftwood in my hands. if you need a tremolo, the liscensed floyd rose on both of the guitars i mentioned are sturdy and stay in tune no matter what.
check out schecter guitars they do lots of really nice super strats for around 500 also i highly recommend the Jackson DKMGT
you are what you is
I like Schecter, but I'm looking for a thin neck, floyd equipped shredder. There aren't any I'd really want around 500... other than the C-1, but the FR version was discontinued, so...No.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah, but I haven't seen crap.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Dude I had the same wants and pricerange.
I went used and waited roughly 2 months.
I ended up with an RG750 from 1989, which is was the highest RG model back in the day (other than signatures). It only cost me $500 and if I were to buy a new guitar from Ibanez today that's just as good as it, it would cost me like four times the price.

It really is worth it to go used and wait.
Look at charvel's too, they're old jacksons but depending on your area, they might not sell well.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Used S470. Just make sure it has a ZR bridge and not one of LO-TRS piles of ****. Got mine for $300 in excellent condition, but I was lucky. They usually run for about $450.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Dinky FTW!!
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
if you can go used you can score a jackson dkmg for 450 or lower, jackson`s trems are of good quality, but if you dont want to go used i suggest just to save up a little more then, you can find some nice ibanez`s too if you check you craigslist and stuff
Used MIJ Ibanez model.There are always a few around on Ebay and CL and they can often be had for that price or lower.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Play what you like, make it sound how you want it to.

Fingers are 90% of everything, the rest is optional.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Used MIJ Ibanez model.There are always a few around on Ebay and CL and they can often be had for that price or lower.

Ah, but I really dislike the Wizard II. It's almost too thin. The Prestige wizard is thinner. I do not want.

So, schecters with FR for about $500.

What are they?
I do like the way they play but of course they're not perfect.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
Ah, but I really dislike the Wizard II. It's almost too thin. The Prestige wizard is thinner. I do not want.

Ahhh I see. In that case an MIJ Jackson or maybe an LTD model would be the way to go.Something at or above the 400 series for the ltd and a DK2 series for the Jackson would be my suggestions.Also,look at some used Carvin models,there might be some nice ones for around that price.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I've been scouring craigslist... haven't found anything.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
If the wizard 2 is too thin then i'd grab a jackson. Compound radius and not QUITE as thin as ibanez necks, in my experience, but as close as you can get. As for schecters with FRs in that price range, i think they all have LFRs and i'm not sure what the quality on schecter LFRs is like.
Yeah, I like the way jacksons play... but I haven't really had TOO much of a chance to try them.
So, I'll have to find a GC or Daddy's Junky Music or what have you to play these at.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Going used might be a good idea unless you can score a good deal or save a bit more, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend a Jackson DK2M (unless you want hotter pickups, the DXMG would be a better option for you).

You could also look into some Ibanez models (which I'm not as familiar with exact model names) or perhaps an ESP (KH-series?). Ibanez would be good if you'd like the thinnest neck possible, and ESP are a little bulkier, but still pretty shredderific. The Jackson falls somewhere on the middle ground, and is my personal preference, but I'd just go try stuff out. You never know what's right for you until you do.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Every guitar I've had has had low-medium output pickups. I play an Epi LP standard right now. The bridge is about 13.8k DC resistance.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Sorry but I really need more opinions.

How do the EMG-HZ's sound? I know they're not the greatest pickups ever but tonewise, how are they in Basswood? And should I get a C-1 FR? I like the HB-105's (blackouts, basically I think) but I don't know. I like schecter necks but how is the FR's reliability?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 1, 2009,
Ibanez my friends, Ibanez.

DTT700s are out now in 2009 i think but theyre more explorer shapes.

RGs, Sabre series, Mij and MiI ibanez.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I can't stand Ibanez necks.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
have you ever thought of maybe getting a quote on a custom guitar?

Carvin are good if your in the US, and i havent found any as good as carvin for the UK yet.

just go down to a guitar store and try out a few metal guitars in your budget, and try and find a neck you like.

or ask the guy in the store for reccommendations.

EDIT: have you looked at schecter? or BC Rich higher end models?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Mar 1, 2009,
Ugh, did you read the thread? I love schecters. My only problem is there's none in the range that's actually GOOD that has an FR.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
hmm, sunset extreme's no good then i take it?

Omen 6 if you would stretch your price a bit.

or Blackjack (i dont know if theyre FR, ive never read much into them)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
hmm, sunset extreme's no good then i take it?

Omen 6 if you would stretch your price a bit.

or Blackjack (i dont know if theyre FR, ive never read much into them)

Just stop... you're only making things worse.

If you can't stand Ibanez necks, then you don't have a lot of options... most of the FR equipped guitars in the price range have inferior trems. Kramer maybe?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Mar 1, 2009,
The only good FR's I can think of is that Epiphone's (OFR that's MIK) and the Jackson's (Steel baseplate=good no matter what).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
...OK, let's all get one thing straight. I am NOT going to buy an Ibanez. Besides, the EDGE III is a POS.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Keep looking for used guitars, if you can't find a good used guitar (like me) go for a Jackson or a Schecter.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by oneblackened
The only good FR's I can think of is that Epiphone's (OFR that's MIK) and the Jackson's (Steel baseplate=good no matter what).

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but: Kramer.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Dude, my only problem is I really don't want another beginner guitar... besides, the pickups are pretty dark, and apparently muddy. I need clearer tone, ya know?

EDIT: Say I go to $600, how much does that increase my options? I saw the DK2m, so that is a possibility.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 2, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
Dude, my only problem is I really don't want another beginner guitar... besides, the pickups are pretty dark, and apparently muddy. I need clearer tone, ya know?

EDIT: Say I go to $600, how much does that increase my options? I saw the DK2m, so that is a possibility.

No, not the cheapo Gibson owned ones. I mean the older Kramers. Just because they are really cheap on the 'bay doesn't mean they're beginner guitars either...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
A nice used Kramer Focus. There are plenty on ebay for cheap and are great guitars (generally). Or maybe a similar used Carvin.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
get a BC Rich They are truly BR00T4L5....... Metals lame quit playing
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Quote by aznrockerdude
No, not the cheapo Gibson owned ones. I mean the older Kramers. Just because they are really cheap on the 'bay doesn't mean they're beginner guitars either...

Ah, I didn't get that.

In other news:
Quote by Frusciante2323
get a BC Rich They are truly BR00T4L5....... Metals lame quit playing

GTFO my thread. now.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
NOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! jeez stop crying get a JEM
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Page 1 of 2