so i've learnt all the crusade articles and modes but i don't really know where to go from here, can some one give me some topics i could check out or recommend some more advanced books for me

thanks
you are what you is
Quote by blueriver
Well what don't you know very much about? I would learn that.

i don't know, thats the hole point of this thread, i want people to suggest me things that i havn't learnt about
you are what you is
I haven't really read the crusades so I have no idea. I doubt they cover voice leading though, so learn that!
Last edited by blueriver at Feb 28, 2009,
Analyze music. Just knowing theory won't help unless you apply what you've learned. If you've read the entire Crusades articles and understood them to its entirety, you'll have little problem trying to analyze music.

That, and also compose.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
i dont know if i should put this in this thread or make my own, but what new music theory should i learn?

(if i should make my own thread instead of posting it here tell me and ill delete this post)

i already know:

all the different chord structures.
(including altered dominant chords).
major/minor scale (including melodic and harmonic).
all the modes of the major scale, and all the modes of the minor scales.
most cadences.
all the intervals.
the circle of fifths.
relative/parallel major/minor.
arpeggios in different positions (like a B minor arpeggio over a G chord makes a GM7 chord).
different time signatures. (obviously not ALL of them, but enough in my opinion)
a few different chord substitutions.
(i might have missed some stuff, but my mind is going blank)

i havent learned voice leading and all that stuff because im not going to compose for choral groups or anything.
i want to learn more jazz theory, but i dont know what else....
what should i learn?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Feb 28, 2009,
Jazz Theory? Get "Jazz Theory" by Mark Levine, its a good read.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by SilverDark
Jazz Theory? Get "Jazz Theory" by Mark Levine, its a good read.

ill look into it, but im low on cash right now.....
lol im always willing to buy more music books.

EDIT:
what else is there to jazz theory?
i know a few handy chord substitutions, and all about the ii V I

like what are the other topics?
cause until i buy the book, i can just look up the topics on google and stuff.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Feb 28, 2009,
Well, you can get the E-book through *cough*

...other means...
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by BrockTandem
Pitch Axis Theory.

hi im joe satriani resident retard and "music theorist" here is my theory on how to create an incoherent mess of a piece of music. you can keep the root note the same and change the other ones!! HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Quote by SilverDark
Well, you can get the E-book through *cough*

...other means...

hmmmm
if your talking about downloading it, my computer is crappy, and i dont have any programs to dowload stuff. (i dont think, i suck at computers)
if you were talking about other stuff, tell me more

EDIT: i agree with the guy above me, the pitch axis theory is dumb. its not real theory.
if anyone thinks its real theory, thats fine, im just stating my opinion.
(i dont want to start some ridiculous arguement)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Mar 1, 2009,
There is a difference between memorizing and knowing. You could spend your whole life with just the major scale and never master it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
There is a difference between memorizing and knowing. You could spend your whole life with just the major scale and never master it.

i see what you mean.
but when i said i know all that theory, i meant i dont just memorize music theory for fun, i actually apply the stuff i learn, into the stuff i play.

but you do make a good point though.
i know one guitar player that knows tons of theory, and all different scales, but he has NO idea how to play the scales on the guitar. he just plays powerchords and stuff.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Exaclty. We spend all this time trudging through these fairly advanced conepts, but what's the point if it's not going to be applied to making music. Make sure your happy with what you can do with the major scale before you move on.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Tg57
hi im joe satriani resident retard and "music theorist" here is my theory on how to create an incoherent mess of a piece of music. you can keep the root note the same and change the other ones!! HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yeah, pretty much.