This is probably a really stupid question but I know virtually nil about guitar maintenance/adjustments and can't figure this out.

Last week after replacing strings and setting the intonation on my guitar and bass, I realized that when I hammer on anywhere on the fretboard it resounds on both sides (hopefully that makes sense).

What do I need to adjust to fix this?
By resounds, do you mean both sides of the string(the part between the nut and your finger, the part between your finger and the bridge) vibrate?
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
By resounds, do you mean both sides of the string(the part between the nut and your finger, the part between your finger and the bridge) vibrate?

Exactly.
I have no idea what you could do to fix that. Sorry
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Nothing wrong with that. Any guitar will do it. But I saw Francis Dunnery use a handkerchief around the neck of his Strat when doing one of his tap sequences on 'You'll Never go to Heaven'. No doubt it helped keep the resonances pure or maybe he was just a show-off demonstrating he used no open strings.
If it distracts you, maybe learn to tap/hammer while damping behind the tap and note positions. Not an easy trick but perfectly possible, if rather restrictive.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Feb 28, 2009,