My bassist came over to my house today for one of the first time, and I found out he has no sense of rhythm.

I told him to play an simple rhythm for one of my songs, and it was totally off.

All he had to play was this.

G|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|

He would play move to some notes too early and some notes too late, and he only had to play each note 8 times.

I don't want to find a new bassist because we are just starting out and he is a beginner, but he should at least have a sense of rhythm.

What can I do to help him get a better sense of rhythm? I said he should buy a metronome and should count the amount of notes he is playing in his head, but I feel like that wouldn't work.

What should I teach him or tell him that can help him out?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Feb 28, 2009,
Teach him to count the notes he's playing
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
send in the metro-gnomes!
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
get a black bassist... I'm sorry. it's the only solution.

ye he just needs to practice rythmics and stuff. playing along to a metronome would be great for him.
Tell him to count in his head.
And if he doesn't want to get a metronome tell him to get Guitar Pro. That way he'll be able to practice it at different speeds and use GPs speed trainer.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
well, why dont you be honest, and tell him he has no rhythm. then say, if you want to be in this band, learn this, it will help your rhythm. and give him something similar to what you got him to do, (blink 182 perhaps?)"

this way, you are totally honest, get a bassist with the concept of rythm hopefully and he learns!
I did tell him to get a metronome and count the notes in his head, he improved a little bit but he should have been able to play that first try.

Hopefully the metronome will fix his problem, but if it doesn't, then I don't know what I can do.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
give him different exercises. have him play A (5th fret) 8 times and then G (3rd fret) 8 times. Have him repeat it several times, you could play with him if he needs help.
then try something a little more difficult
A 8x - G 4x - E (open) 4x. and repeat

next add some string skipping

A (open) 8x- G 4x- D (open) 4x. and repeat.

Everybody has a sense of rythm. It just takes a little more effort for some people to realize it.
Dude just give him some time. Now with that said, if you are playing a gig then it's something different. Were u perfect when u started? No, so just have a heart man.

Also, I got into this band with a drummer who had no sense of rhythm, and I was like "Why am I doing this?", but now he's an amazing drummer with a great sense of time (now we just gotta work on the singer :p). So just let him grow out of his bad timing.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Last edited by pengiunman at Mar 1, 2009,
Bass is heard to keep rythem with nothing else, im sure when theres a drummer to keep in time with, it'll make things easier.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
a little bit of patience man. Sit down with him and show him the riff over and over and play it with him over and over and finally offer him a lot of encouragement and positive feedback to give him the confidence he needs
Tell him to practice with a metronome, or count his notes, sounds like hes got premature modulation to me, and thats pretty easy to fix.
Like everyone else said: Metronome. The bass is a part of the rhythm section, so if he cant keep time he cant play bass. Bass is more than playing notes really fast or cleanly, and more than being really creative. Bass is keeping the band together. They are the cornerstone.

practice with a click track, everytime, all the time.
What you need:
METRONOME.

What to do?:
He is suppose to sit down and learn the riffs slowly, using the metronome and counting the notes.

It is really basic.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
metronome definately,
also get him to jsut practice tapping in time to songs he listens to
and then build up to more complex rhythms
how i built up mine