Hey my names matt im 17 been playing guitar self taught for 12 years now, i think i'v hit a brick wall... im only playing metal riff's and acoustic stuff i want to get a wider knowledge of guitar playing like other genres (blues, jazz more? country?) i want to gain different styles, im not about to quit any time soon kus i love it too much but i want to be able to mix things up a bit so i ask you this. get a guitar tutor to come over or somthing and have him teach me, or is there some place i can learn to play guitar easily with different styles (iv just started scales too just so i can show off to me mate lol :P) i know your gonna say "Oh my god idiot your on a guitar website with lessons on it" yeah i know but i havent found any ones that have really helped :S if you could just chuck some links my way please. thanks alot.

#~Dobbo~#

(also if you could throw some pro's and con's to why i should or shouldnt take lessons or free lessons on the net that wuld be real helpfull too thanks)
Listen to different styles of music?

Btw, how can you not know blues? Jazz is anything on the fretboard. i know a guy whos pretty good on his acoustic, and he throws out a lot of jazz jams. Just because he listens to a bit of tool, and can play guitar. You know that thing...you could play ANY combination of notes, and it would be jazz.

Country...Learn some fingerpicky songs? Bob dylan esque? Jonny cash?

Oh yeh, and learn theory.
woah youve been playing since you were five? yeah lessons will help you alot. you just have to be open to what hes teaching you. otherwise your wasting your time and money. ive been taking lessons for a couple of years. without them id be nowheres as good as i am now
Quote by dobby240
Hey my names matt im 17 been playing guitar self taught for 12 years now, i think i'v hit a brick wall... im only playing metal riff's and acoustic stuff i want to get a wider knowledge of guitar playing like other genres (blues, jazz more? country?) i want to gain different styles, im not about to quit any time soon kus i love it too much but i want to be able to mix things up a bit so i ask you this. get a guitar tutor to come over or somthing and have him teach me, or is there some place i can learn to play guitar easily with different styles (iv just started scales too just so i can show off to me mate lol :P) i know your gonna say "Oh my god idiot your on a guitar website with lessons on it" yeah i know but i havent found any ones that have really helped :S if you could just chuck some links my way please. thanks alot.

#~Dobbo~#

(also if you could throw some pro's and con's to why i should or shouldnt take lessons or free lessons on the net that wuld be real helpfull too thanks)

Take private lessons, it is absolutely the best way to improve. Make sure you get a decent instructor (go to a professional store or somewhere that doesn't hire idiots) and other than that the only danger is cost
Get a teacher, and before you find out there name, make sure you see proof of a degree.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Get a teacher, and before you find out there name, make sure you see proof of a degree.

I wouldn't say a degree is highly necessary, just make sure they are hired by a credible institution.
About the degree..... it totally depends on what you want to learn. Same with an institution. It comes down to finding a teacher who is offering what you want to learn.

If you want to learn classical or jazz... I would highly recommend someone with either a degree, or a diploma - in fact, I would pretty much insist on it. I've heard a lot of really skilled players who have come out of community college programs.

Here's my experience - except for the classical bit, they were with private lessons in these guys' homes, and they were not affiliated with any institutions:

I have a degree in classical guitar. I studied with a couple of people who had their masters' degree in performance at the university level.

But... that really didn't help me much with learning some of the rock stuff I wanted to learn. To that end, I studied some modal stuff with a guy who had his diploma in jazz guitar from the local community college, who also placed second in all of Canada in some "Guitar Wars" competition a year or so prior. Holy crap, could that guy play. I think he's in the UK now. His name is Kevin Briggs. Anyone know him?

A few years later, I wanted to learn some more - some shred techniques, and constructing solos, songwriting, arrangements, etc. I went to a guy who played with a band that had considerable success in the '80s, signed to WEA, and who has a gold record on his wall, along with a couple of industry awards. He is a great songwriter, has a hell of an ear, and has great skill. Musically, he is entirely uneducated and can't explain to you that the note you played is wrong because it is an F and you're playing in the key of G, and therefore the F doesn't *really* work in that context. In fact, he couldn't even tell me that the note I was playing was even an F. All he knew is that it was the third string, tenth fret. Incidentally, he picked that note out of a flurry of other notes that were going by very quickly. He had me play it a few times, and finally stopped, pointed, and said, "that one.... move it up one." I learned a ton from him, even though I was the one with the degree.

So... you want to learn country or something? Study with a guy in a country band - chances are about 98% that he won't have a degree or a diploma. Who cares? He has knowledge of what you are looking for.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 1, 2009,
thanks for all the great replies, i really apprieciate it i'll try and look into all of your suggestions
There's a huge pile of links in my sig. All hopefully very useful.

Secondly, check out www.RGT.org - they do a reference and background check on their teachers, which is more than you'll get just picking up a flyer from somewhere.

Thirdly, definately get a teacher, they're a great help if you get a good one.
Quote by Freepower
There's a huge pile of links in my sig. All hopefully very useful.

Secondly, check out www.RGT.org - they do a reference and background check on their teachers, which is more than you'll get just picking up a flyer from somewhere.

Thirdly, definately get a teacher, they're a great help if you get a good one.

awesome thanks i just subscribed