Page 1 of 2
Would you do it?

I've just been watching a documentary about storing your humanity/emotions/memories, everything your brain does, on a computer, and be able to live that way.

Is this just us dodging death? Or are we completely changing our universe, and reality itself?

They say, by 2029 computers will be billions of times more powerfull, and on the merging of the human mind, we, in turn will be billions of times more powerfull.

Will we be able to live the same memory for all eternity? Create our own universe with our own set of rules?

EDIT: Serious discussion only. I know this is The Pit, but I don't want this to turn into a thread of insecure teenagers trying to win people over by telling shit jokes.
is it reversable?

this is what my desicion would hinge on.
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by JacobTheMe
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Better question:

Why was the road under the chicken?
i doubt we will be that technologically advanced in 20 years. there's still so much unknown about the brain.
Quote by centorium
is it reversable?

this is what my desicion would hinge on.

No. Let's assume your body would simply decay, and the brain just isn't capable comprehending such a mass of information.

Though, don't just think of it as a DELL computer and HP monitor. Think of it as robotic beings, maybe even a few more years down the line, silicon/similar material bodies with thousands of processors controlling every aspect of your existence.

^ This is hypothetical dude. If you want, I'll change this topic about how my girlfriend's a hoe or a "You laugh you lose" thread. The typical UG buffet of excellenct conversation.
Last edited by Kyle.E at Feb 28, 2009,
Why can't you pit monkies take anything seriously? This is actually quite an interesting concept.

I personally would not do it. Everything is meant to die. Another question, if one were to do this, wouldn't the computer eventually ruin?
Well, it's the golden question of whether immortality is a blessing or a curse.
To be honest, it doesn't matter, by 2029, we'll all have been consumed by the ravenous nanobots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Goo
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Quote by Kyle.E

Though, don't just think of it as a DELL computer and HP monitor. Think of it as robotic beings, maybe even a few more years down the line, silicon/similar material bodies with thousands of processors controlling every aspect of your existence.

Skynet anyone?
[quote="'CrystalMeth[od"]']oh, and get this, when I shook her dads hand I said "Nice to meet you sir, I'm here to **** your daughter, and all he said was "be safe" lol

I remember studying this for a few weeks in my cultural anthro class. I wish I could remember what that theory was called or even find the article we read about it... Anyway, I don't think I would do it. If there was a possibility to live forever, physically or just emotionally on a hard drive, it seems like it'd make the meaningful things in life less meaningful. I mean, we love and live the way we do because nothing's permanent.
Quote by \Powerslave/
Why can't you pit monkies take anything seriously? This is actually quite an interesting concept.

I personally would not do it. Everything is meant to die. Another question, if one were to do this, wouldn't the computer eventually ruin?

Try not to think of it as physical memory.

Also, as I know I'll get this. No, you can't get hacked. No, you can't be deleted. You will never fully cease to exist. You will either be active or dormant.
This is all based off the transfer from electric signals to light signals. The major breakthrough just after WWII was the transistors. First the transistors were manual (people changing gears and cogs and such) then they developed silicon, and it sped up computers over a thousand fold almost overnight. They are hoping for a similar result with the transfer from data being sent through electric signals to having it through light (no not fiberoptics, thats a different thing)
Screw Ignorance... Indifference is bliss.
the world is on the brink of its darkest age..... and its last in terms of human life
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
No.

1. I think it's a sign of the apocalypse

2. I'm really perverted and I don't want anyone to know what's in my brain.
i was thinking about this earlier. if you could "3d print" a person, like making a person from the top down, you could just upload the brain into this person, and make another copy. then instead of traveling using spaceships, you just get uploaded, kill yourself, and get printed in your destination. easy as pi.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Better question:

Why was the road under the chicken?

You're missing the point here.

What is below the road?

OnTopic: Someone else already said it, but I'm still gonna: Can I reverse it? If not, then I don't think so.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by dansmith291
Skynet anyone?

+1
Member #48 of the Weezer Fan club

Gear.
Epiphone LP Classic Quilt Top (w/ SD SH-4 in bridge)
Crate XT 120R
Line 6 PODXT Live
Squier Strat
Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings (light)
a computer will NEVER be as powerful or wonderful as the human brain!!!
MG + SPIDER=

Ibanez RG

Cort VX

Marshall JTM 60
I wouldn't want to live forever, but to have my whole life documented into a computer would be great I think.
Wouldn't that just be a computer with, basically, your personality on it? It won't really be you. It'll just be a machine that acts how you would.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by masterbuild

Don't be stupid. Growth is inevitable. Computing power has doubled by the new year since it's dawn. Computers are now literally billions of times more powerful than they were in the 40s. That isn't that long ago, in terms of social evolution.

100 years ago, a device to calculate millions of variables per second, connect the world, keep every person updated by the millisecond and navigate vehicles in space, was incomprehensible.

To say "this won't happen" is naiive.
It would be neat if I could keep living in real life but upload some thoughts I don't want in my head all the time, but need to keep. Does that make sense?
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
.. are you talking about ?

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by EnyoAdonai
It would be neat if I could keep living in real life but upload some thoughts I don't want in my head all the time, but need to keep. Does that make sense?

I like that idea, it'd be nice to be able to remove memories from your mind, then be free to take a look at them when you want.
Well yeah, but in 1989 they all thought we'd have flying cars and holograms and robots by 2009.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
this is suspiciously similar to the plot of Dollhouse.....

could i be an assassin? cuz im so in.
I have no opinion on this matter.
We kinda already do this through music and film, people wana be remembered, i think a lot of people would do it, im not sure if im understanding it tottaly but yea...
No one here, gets out alive
I love how people assume that computers getting more powerful means they are somehow going to just automatically become smarter. This isnt the case, it has to be PROGRAMMED to do it. Without the programming theres only idle potential.

Kinda like putting a 500 horsepower engine in a small car, it doesnt automatically make it drive 200 miles an hour unless you MAKE IT go that fast.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

I love how people assume that computers getting more powerful means they are somehow going to just automatically become smarter. This isnt the case, it has to be PROGRAMMED to do it. Without the programming theres only idle potential.

I hate this argument. Yes, a computer can only do what it's programmed to do, but what if it's programmed to learn?

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
So assuming that it is theoretically possible, which is a pretty big leap, then no, I would probably not store my memories on a computer in order to prolong my life.
I'd never do it.

It doesn't seem like people cheating death, as once their physical body dies, and their thoughts, memories and emotions are stored on the computer, it is the computer, not the person, living this artificially constructed life.

It makes no sense to me. When I die, I hope I'm not "kept alive" through some computer for my family to see and have "conversations" with, I just want to be left rest and rot in peace.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
I can't see that working.

You can't just offload everything in your brain onto a computer, and expect it to work.

The human brain works completely differently from computers. The only things computers are really good at is repetitive tasks, like calculations and things. Algorithms. They do that insanely fast compared to humans.

Now, here's a nice comparison between how the two work :

How old we're you when you started talking? Maybe 1 and a half, 2, a couple more years and you can communicate relatively fluently, and at this point, your brain is still FAR from fully developped, hell at this point you probably can't even count all that far.

On the other hand, computers can count to infinitely high numbers, and can do it ridiculously fast, and it's very simple to get them to do this. Computers also fail miserably at simulating language.
The amount of fun that would be would be directly proportional to the amount of dick I would have.
I'd definitely use computers to document my life, since it would practically be a crime to let the world forget about me

I'd also quite like to use computers to enhance my memory, or even increase my computational power (i.e. cybernetic implants, or some such)

However, I'd never put my entire consciousness onto a machine, especially not to avoid death
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Well yeah, but in 1989 they all thought we'd have flying cars and holograms and robots by 2009.

http://www.ri.cmu.edu/
there is robots and all that jazz around at the moment, just not as technically advanced as some thought in 1989.

and i remember reading something about holograms once apon a time, but nothing on flying cars yet
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
I assume that yes some memories are worth reliving but if you can relive them whenever you want then are they really special?

I do think this would be excellent for police investigations but would also make cheating in school way easier.

And for people who have lost their memory (i forgot what its called, yeah im an idiot)

Instead of going through everything this would be able to do which could take a while ill just end it now saying that is will be helpful in some ways and bad in others

Quote by masterbuild

Not true unless they merge.
Page 1 of 2