Is it something I should look into, or just save up for a Music Man?
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Your title and post are kinda unrelated to each other..

You want to put a music man pickup into a jazz bass?
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
I plan on putting a MM pickup in my P-bass build but you'll have to route a new pickup cavity. I reckon it'll sound awesome.
Yeah I do

Is there anything that I should know and take into precaution, since I have no knowledge of the inner workings of a guitar?
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
are you going to install a preamp?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
^that wasn't the question, moron. it was about a pickup.

anyway, yes there are a lot of things you should learn. you need to learn how to fill cavities, you're going to want to have some knowledge of refinishing because you'll need to touch up the finish after you do this, you need a router and you need to know how to use one, you need to know how to solder, and you need to know how to read a wiring diagram and actually wire a bass.

Sound about right? Hopefully I didn't miss anything.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
If you got the right MM pickup you could just make your J bass pickup cavity bigger with a router, it'd definately be easier. Not sure if Humbuckers and J pickups are the same length though.
I think if I use the Sterling pickup, since it has the same neck width of a Jazz Bass, it should match up. Would I have to do anything to the preamp that's inside?
Quote by FbSa
Quote by Emoishboy
^that wasn't the question, moron. it was about a pickup.

obviously your the moron because many basses with music man humbucker type pickups use an active onboard preamp. Music Man StingRay, Sterling, Bongo & S.U.B. (no longer in production for some years) basses all have active onboard preamps. If he wasn't getting a preamp i would tell him get a jazz bass type pickup.

anyways this question is too vague? What brand of pickup are you looking at buying?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass